Active Catachans!

Prot

Okay I am on the fence about doing this....

I have a good opportunity to start Astra again for about the ... 4th time. I have an offer from a friend that would make it a lot easier.

And to be specific I almost pulled the trigger on Catachans but some friends warn me with the way I am about painting I will hate the Catachans. (I don't think that's true.)

So I wanted to ask how many of you are active Catachan players? I don't know any.... I did a search on the forum and couldn't find much at all.

Just curious if this army is kind of dead in 7th?

As a side note it seems Astra are kind of limited in new, easy to access models for modern 40K. I loved my old Steel Legion, but I'm not doing Metal again. I loved the Vostroyans (never did them) but again, no metals for me.

I'm not getting ahead of myself this time, I just want to know what other people are doing if they don't want to play Cadians.

There are many around my local community who play other AM armies than Cadians. A friend of mine is an old Catchan player and still is. 
Me my self I have been a Vostroyan, Elysian, and now slightly converted  Militarum Tempestus army. 

It all runs down to how much you want to invest into your army to achieve your goals. 

If a Catachan army is right up your alley, who is to say its wrong? In the end you need to be satisfied with your own army that you game with. 

Some say the arms of the catchans are to large. My solution for this is to find alternate arms for them, that are smaller. Empire Flagellants have bare musculare arms. I have used these a couple of times for some conversions. 

I play mostly Catachan models -metals and plastic- and the only warning I could give is that you will paint a lot of flesh so if you don't feel comfortable painting skin maybe you should try another more clothed regiment. Minis may be old but with a little of work they still can look more than OK.

Okay it's good to hear there are at least some of you out there!

It all runs down to how much you want to invest into your army to achieve your goals.

If a Catachan army is right up your alley, who is to say its wrong? In the end you need to be satisfied with your own army that you game with.

Some say the arms of the catchans are to large. My solution for this is to find alternate arms for them, that are smaller. Empire Flagellants have bare musculare arms. I have used these a couple of times for some conversions.

My issue would be I have very low desire to do any conversion work. I would prefer to use stock GW figs. Maybe you've seen my last Blood Pact army and that would be well beyond what i want to do this time around on IG.

I like the Cadian plastics fine. I wish I had pics but I had a larger force of them done with grey and a blueish hue on the armour pads of the uniforms. It was meant for city fight, and grew to about 6000 points painted in that grey/blue.

So I'm not looking forward to more Cadians, but you know it could work as a more traditional Cadian scheme in the codex since that would be new to me.

As an aside I also like the Wyvern tank on page 85 of the hardcover codex. I have not been able to find anymore of that scheme however.

IG minis are really up to the player. I've never really been satisfied with my Cadians but have never taken the effort to sell them for another faction, even though others, like Catachans and Tallarn, really tempt me.

I agree. But for me Catachans are about the background and fight doctrines more than just the figs.

I play mostly Catachan models -metals and plastic- and the only warning I could give is that you will paint a lot of flesh so if you don't feel comfortable painting skin maybe you should try another more clothed regiment. Minis may be old but with a little of work they still can look more than OK.

I could see the flesh thing being a hold back for some people. I think I'm okay with it.... although this is as much flesh as i've painted recently:

gallery_2760_10008_113676.jpg

So maybe not...

Anyway I'm glad to see some Catachans out there. Anyone have any pics of their armies?

I gave my old Catachan metals away sad.png We'd see a lot more Catachan armies out there if GW got off their backside and updated their trooper box, but I think everyone knows what I think GW should be doing laugh.png I'd be very interested in seeing people's modifications and conversions for them smile.png

You could always combine Catachan and Cadian kits, for a unique look.

As Lord Commander Scrymgeour said, you can combine WHFB mini bitz in too for alternative looks. I love using bit from the Empire Pistoliers/Outriders.

If you do choose to go with Catachans, I'd love to see them. They may take a bit of work (e.g. Where bare arms meet bare torso the line can look unnatural so you might want to file/GS it smooth), but could be a very flavourful army.

I do have one squad myself though they're still unpainted.

I've started collecting old school metal catachan (cheaper on eBay than New box from GW) for a good slogging force. When you say play a catachan force I think there's a few ways of looking to do it.

Combined arms

choosing tanks like the wyvren, leman Russ punisher, hellhounds, chimera is actually quite fluffy and probably the most effective list you could do. A good mix of infantry, tanks, walkers Would represent a standard catachan fighting force. To stay fluffy avoid psykers, commissars, and rough riders.

Elite infantry force

This would represent elite formations like the catachan devils on heavy terrain world. Vets with camo supported by special weapon squads and sentinels. This is a tough army to play but fun.

Last would be Infantry swarm

Just platoon after platoon. You can win just because no one can kill that many models. This is my prefered method as its tonnes of fun and gives you so many options it's a great time.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas

Archived