BA vs Nid's box set rumor, and our speculation

JSlade

I'd be cool with tactical terminators. My Knights of Blood don't have any of those. I'm pretty set for assault terminators, though. I mean, I've got five hammernators. I guess that I could use five more. Or some clawnators, though I've never been terribly impressed with clawnators.

@Black Cohort: because the DC are a signature unit and I expect the RAS to get repackaged. I believe the current BA box still has the older tac sprues. IIRC, the Space Wolves get more than one signature unit in their box (terminators are Space Wolf, not generic)

...Blood drops I like and can work with, chalices not so much.

Spoken like the most artistically appreciative of all Flesh Tearers :p

Nothing wrong with a terracotta chalice. Or stone, or....

Think they got us covered for termies with space hulk, but I would lurrve to see a new reclusiarch model in there somewhere. Something which reflects the difference between the reclusiarch and chaplains in terms of their standing and role in the chapter, not just the extra wound, init and attack.

...Blood drops I like and can work with, chalices not so much.

Spoken like the most artistically appreciative of all Flesh Tearers tongue.png

Nothing wrong with a terracotta chalice. Or stone, or....

Yeah. I've had to work with all sorts of BA-general iconography to make my Knights of Blood work. I mix in blank shoulder pads on which I freehand the chapter symbol with various shoulder pads out of the death company and sanguinary guard boxes, and explain it as "they're renegades who have all but abandoned the Codex, and they've become really fond of using various honors and badges to fight off the darker side of their nature."

everyone is arguing over whether or not we are getting 2 or 3 box sets and one HQ. Here is my thinking:

It could go one of 2 ways it will be like the Dark vengeance set or it will be like Storm claw

I know the Dark angels set got a a librarian and Captain as well as the limited edition chaplain with a ten man tactical squad, 3 bikes and 5 termies. I also know Space wolves got Krom, 5 wolf guard, 5 grey hunter, 5 blood claw. 

any other thoughts as to how it might be?

everyone is arguing over whether or not we are getting 2 or 3 box sets and one HQ. Here is my thinking:

It could go one of 2 ways it will be like the Dark vengeance set or it will be like Storm claw

I know the Dark angels set got a a librarian and Captain as well as the limited edition chaplain with a ten man tactical squad, 3 bikes and 5 termies. I also know Space wolves got Krom, 5 wolf guard, 5 grey hunter, 5 blood claw. 

any other thoughts as to how it might be?

Well, its supposed to be a Campaign box. Not a "Starter" box. So, I'd look to the Storm Claw model, and not DV. Especially since this Tyranid book, "Leviathan" is supposed to come out too? Then, yeah. Seems very likely it will just be 2 boxes. 

Don't forget that the Space Wolves had 15 models and a HQ, especially because it were 10 PA and 5 TDA.

I think it's unrealistic to expect only 2x 5 PA-models "because it are the same amount of boxes" since that would feel like a total rip-off.

It'll be much more like Storm Claw than Dark Vengeance but tsijben must be right in terms of 10PA and 5TDA =/= 2x5PA.  Even from a financial sense it's a bit off the SW kits cost £51 (£23+£28 IIRC) as opposed to 2x£21 for 5xDC and 5xAssault Marines. 

I would think we'll either get 15 PA troops or 10 PA troops but with 2 Characters (please JP Sang Priest!!!)

I also think there is no chance of them releasing the new shiny in a campaign box if there is even going to be a new shiny as they know people will buy that on the release day and they will sell all the Leviathan boxes they make anyway...

This obviously depends on the amount of Nids they put in too - they are obviously working on offering a discount but I'm sure they have a percentage in mind and I imagine it will be similar to Storm Claws, which was awesome value if you were interested in both armies or could go in half each with a friend.

Just my 2p's worth.

Edit - spelling and basic comprehension issues!

I'm likely to get whatever this box ends up being because it gets me a discounted rulebook (hopefully).

The problem with speculating the contents is that we don't really have anything that is exactly comparable to the PA space wolf box at the moment. The closest is going to be our 5 man DC box which contains enough iconography to outfit a 10 man squad but only enough legs for 5 men.

Since the SW termies already existed prior to the stormclaw box, I sincerely doubt we get our own unless they do magically send us a Space Hulk sprue (VERY unlikely) or they make a new one for the upcoming release (also unlikely). We MIGHT get Vanguard vets in as the elite troop choice though.

The closest guess I can think of is 1x DC squad, 1x PA combat squad, The special captain and vanguard vets. It may be possible for us to get a Sanguinary Priest outta the deal but I would sooner think they would replace the vets or PA squad with that figure rather than include it as an extra.

i am hoping this box is true, I could do with some nids to support my mates force, plus I am after some BA models to modify into angelic space marines (psuedo Legion of the Dammed)

We have Sanguinary guard in addition to Death Company as a dedicated infantry kit. I can see them replacing them Wolf Guard Terminators for our campaign box.

Though I don't dispute this, keep in mind that you would replace a 50 (US) dollar kit with a 33 (US)dollar one. I am certain GW is not above doing this but value wise it makes little sense...

Who am I kidding, that's probably exactly what they will do. :cripes:

I take the value point, but, like you say, I don't think that's primarily what GW are looking at here. I think order of priority goes*:

1) Existing kit
2) Chapter specific
3) Like for like in basic terms, i.e. 2+ save unit for a 2+ save unit
4) something else
5) daylight
6) Value equivalence.

*Of course this is purely speculation on my part

And that would be a fairly balanced starter force for new players and seems correct for the value in the box - plus there will be plenty of extra parts to BA-up the Tac squad - it'll feel fairly "proper" BA as well - having Sang Guard and DC would be a bit weird from a fluff point of view whereas an HQ choice, a regular Tac squad and some frothing lunatics could work from the narrative angle of a campaign box/book.

hmmm, if RAS remain troops, perhaps there would be 10 of those and 5 of the SG or DC. That'd be really different. Still get a 10 man troops squad and a signature unit. 

OTOH, I think this would be the first time a box set of different units could be all jump infantry.

hmmm, if RAS remain troops, perhaps there would be 10 of those and 5 of the SG or DC. That'd be really different. Still get a 10 man troops squad and a signature unit.

OTOH, I think this would be the first time a box set of different units could be all jump infantry.

Even with a new box, assault marines will probably remain 5 per box. Thus I believe a tactical squad is more likely to be in the set as it gives a 10 man box.

Blood Angel, Tyranids & Necron Campaign

- Limited boxed set will accompany the campaign modeled after the Stormclaw product

- Box will include Ba vs Tyranid opposing forces led by:

- Plastic Blood Angel Captain

- Named Tyranid Character (Prime most commonly names, but Lictor or Broodlord possible)

and:

via Lords of War Gaming 10-30-2014

With all the talk and rumors of the new Tyranid stuff, Blood Angels, and the campaign involving the two I am going to clear up some misinformation/misunderstanding.
The box coming out containing Tyranids and Blood Angels is NOT a starter set. It is a campaign box like Stormclaw was.
Yes there are similarities between a starter set and a campaign box. Both contain models and the small rule book. The main differences being:
-Campaign box is limited production
-Campaign box does not have the snap fit models
Dark Vengeance is your starter set for the foreseeable future.
As for the contents of the campaign box, we don't know yet. As soon as we are able to tell you we will.
I would not put much stock in the rumors of a plastic Broodlord or Plastic Lictor in there unless perhaps they make one into a character.

So... maybe this "Leviathan" book will be pretty great?

Who thinks that we may see a BA Codex, and the DC Supplement, or Flesh Tearers etc force will be in this campaign book?

BoLS throws more mess in the fire: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/10/40k-blood-angels-campaign-boxed-set_30.html

Latest word on starter set 10-30-2014

Blood Angels
5 death company
10 assault marines 
1 furiouso dreadnaught
1 New Exclusive captain w jump pack

Tyranids
3 warriors
20 gaunts
3 lictors (editor's note: this makes no sense, perhaps Hive Guard?)
1 NEW Exclusive Prime

Campaign is slated to kick off the week after Tyranids

Archived