Pre-heresy Emperor's Children; Scratchbuilt Rhino 8/2018

RayGun924

• 3 weeks later...

Praetor is almost done. I was initially going to paint the sword as a power weapon but could not get it to look the way I wanted. I'm not entirely happy with it right now and may go back and revise, but will leave it be for now. The lining of the cloak looks sloppier magnified and I may still add embellishments on the outside border but we'll see.

Comments and criticisms always welcome (especially if you can help me figure out what's wrong with the sword.)

praetor 9

praetor 10

praetor 11

praetor 12

praetor 13

praetor 14

Cheers,

Ray

Trying to fill out the first tactical squad. I finished painting 4 marines but they look much like the first 5 so I didn't post a picture.

Here is the squad sergeant WIP. Tried my hand painting the gold in a different way.

Hope you guys like.

As always, feedback appreciated.

sergeant 2

sergeant 1

Cheers,

Ray

Finished the face and the bolt pistol. Upon closer inspection, the face looks rushed and the blending isn't my best. I will probably need to glaze the skin to get it smoother. The left eye also looks off, almost like Quasimodo. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it. Now to just get my sword painting better...

sergeant 3

sergeant 4

Cheers,
Ray

Very nice, I think the face looks ok, looks a bit like the right side of his eye is swollen like he got in a fist fight with an Ork or something. Overall some nice progress here really like the blending on the purple.

First squad completed. I haven't finished an entire squad since 2004. Feels pretty good. Though technically the backpacks aren't finished on 6 of the 10 marines. Either way, I'll count them. What's left?

- 10 man tactical squad

- 5 palatine blades

- 2 apothecaries

- Contemptor Dreadnaught

- Sicaran

- 3 jetbikes (which I still need to finish building)

squad A

Cheers,

Ray

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Contemptor is looking good brother. You have one of the loveliest purples of any III Legion force on the board. The shading is just superb. 

Thanks Athrawes! Now if only I can get as good at painting the other colors as the purple!

Cheers,

Ray

That purple is awesome! Which paints did you use for it? 

Thanks, kizz! Just trying to keep up with you :)

I use P3 paints for the purple. Basecoat Beaten Purple, shade with 1:1 mix of Beaten Purple:Exile Blue, highlight 1:1 Beaten Purple:Sanguine Highlight, and further highlight with pure Sanguine Highlight. I line the edges with 1:1 Beaten Purple: Underbelly Blue.

I think the Beaten Purple translates to something like Xereus purple. Sanguine highlight is probably close to Emperors Children. Exile Blue is a shade between Kantor Blue and Macragge Blue. Underbelly Blue is probably close to Ulthuan Grey.

Cheers,

Ray

Archived