Heresy-era Thousand Sons- UPDATE 10.04.15

So, this is my first Plog, to help me A)get things done, and B)share fluff and such, open up discussions, and generally hang out on B&C.

My first thoughts when planning to build a Marine force was to paint them as Alpha Legion. Still love 'em, but something wasn't feeling right for me.
In the end, I decided on Thousand Sons, because I enjoy their fluff, there's a lot of open ways to go with the army and my personal fluff, and, well, I just don't see Thousand Sons (at least Heresy-era ones).

So, here's the first few pics, currently have 10 Breachers in the works, and a few packages of resin cra- I mean, FW goodies on the way.

IMG 0275

IMG 0273

IMG 0271

This is my Librarian (well, one of the several I have planned). It's Thousand Sons, I'd better start with a Psyker!

And no worries, fluff will come soon.

Awesome start for a first plog!

After Thousand Sons, pre-heresy XV legion are always exciting for me. Are you going to have a librarian for every disciplne, or do you have a few favorites?

Either way, keep up the awesome work. 

WiP of Breacher #1 - 

IMG 0295

IMG_0294.JPG

Base still needs finishing touches, Marine himself is near completion, just need to do something to the shield. Any thoughts? 
Oh, and need to attach the helmet icon/thingy. I almost want to call it an antenna, but that's not the right word lol

Also, I got my 'lightbox' set up (such as it is, it's actually a shoebox with plain white paper lining it, with a light aimed directly into it)

Flint13 - sorry for the late reply, yes, I will definitely be doing several Psykers, but not all will be Librarians as such. I want to represent the Cults of Prospero as true as can be. So, if/when I decide to run at least one unit of Thallaxi , I'd have a single Marine leading them as their Prime, representing a Pyrae cult Marine, specialized in technopathy. Apothecaries would be Pavoni Cult, and so on. 

And now for the fun stuff ^^

-----------------------------------------Recording Starts-------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------Location-------------------------------------------

---------------------------Strike Cruiser, designate Serpent's Kiss-----------------------------

Fire. Smoke coiling towards the sky. Glass, shattered about, crushed under armored heels. 

The sky, tinged red from the city, burning bright.
Prospero burns.

"Brothers, we are alone."
Anen spoke softly, his metal voice echoing throughout the hold. The gathered remnants of the
44th Scout Cohort, battered and restless, shifted in unease. "Our father is lost, broken, corrupted
by temptation. He has undone us. We are deemed traitors, outcasts, both to our Legion, our father, and our Emperor."

A loud crash sounded throughout the hold. Heads turn as a shrouded Astartes, end of his staff firm against the ground.
"We are not traitors! However we may be deemed, we stand for the Imperium, and for the memory of our father! Let
them hunt us, hound us, wolves snapping at our heels! We should strike where needed, bringing destruction to the
Traitors who brought us to this destruction!"

"Well spoken Kheref. You wield fire in words as well as you do on the battlefield," came a mocking reply.

" At least I prefer direct action towards skulking and spying as much as you do!" Kheref heatedly responded. " Hidden
we may be, but that is no excuse for your cowardice Sebek!"

"ENOUGH."

Anen's voice, telekentically enforced, was enough to quell both quarreling Astartes. "We must act as one, united, or unto
death we bring ourselves. Settle your differences elsewhere, at this conclave there will be no conflict." He turned, facing
his audience from the platform he stood upon. "Now is the time for action, this is true. Yet I will not let us throw away all we
have on a fool's errand for vengeance." Gesturing behind him, Anen continued, still speaking quietly through the respirator
keeping his ravaged lungs filled with air. "We have here, on this ship, centuries worth of knowledge, carried with us from
Prospero, gathered from our conquests, manuscripts ripped from the hands of tyrants, warlords and xenos alike. Prospero
burns my brothers. All of its collected wisdom, its knowledge, is gone. What we have here may be all that remains."

Murmurs of support and agreement start to spread through the assembly, swiftly stirring them from inactivity to near-religious
fervor. "Our new goal is to ensure the safety of this knowledge, to use it to help the Imperium, lest we fall back into the darkness
of the Age of Strife. Our mission, my brothers, is simple; to Terra, and let the traitors who try and stop us fall before us!"

-----------------------------------------------------Recording Ends----------------------------------------------------

FLUFF REDACTED BY ORDER OF HIS MAJESTY'S MOST HOLY INQUISITION

Nice! Loyal Sons should be a lot of fun.

Some other stuff to chew on...

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130922232351/warhammer40k/images/a/a8/TS_Astartes_Mark_II.jpg

And my absolute favorite piece of pre heresy TS artwork...

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111119013638/warhammer40k/images/8/80/Amunis_Assault_Squad.jpg

1000heathens - I kinda have my copy of Visions of Heresy sitting next to me as I paint. Breachers are fantastic, but I feel as if they almost don't have much in the way of personality, model-wise. All the focus goes on the shield, while the poses hide the body. However, I'm definitely going to do some sort of ward/symbols on the shields, like from your post a few sections up.

Something to note - on my computer screen the models look a bit washed out, a bit too orange, but I have my comp hooked up to my TV, and I get the actual, bright crimson that they are in RL. You may have to change your monitor a bit to see it, but if you can see them it's almost a match to the above pictures (if perhaps slightly more red).

Fair enough, brother, lol.

As for the breachers, I found it helps to use Blood Angel SG arms. Cut off and file down the bolter attached to the arm, glue the shield to the arm, add some greenstuff to the gap between the arm brace and the shield, and add a fist holding a sword hilt where the open hard would normally go. You can add a lot more character that way.

Examples:

http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_8712/gallery_37532_8712_318237.png

And a WIP of one of my guys, so you can see a little of the work...

http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_8712/gallery_37532_8712_72293.png

Hope that helps.

IMG 0330

IMG 0329

Some WIP shots, plus part of my 'workspace' such that it is. I'll try and do some better shots tomorrow, once the sun has risen. In the meantime, enjoy.

As you can see, doing some free-hand stuff on the shields, going with symbols, lettering (a mix drawn from Arabic, Egyptian, and my own head), and a fair degree of artistic license.

After these Breachers are finished, I have a Sicaran to paint (and assemble, mostly), and after that, time to get more goodies.

• 3 weeks later...

You sir have my undivided attention. What first got me drawn into the whole Horus Heresy was reading A Thousand Sons. I have been wanting to do a TS army, but alas I do not have the funds, but I shall be watching you with the most interest. Your Breachers look absolutely amazing, as does your free hand. Keep it up! and consider me a follower.

Mass Pic INCOMING - 

IMG 0358

IMG 0359

IMG 0360

IMG 0365

IMG 0366

IMG 0368

So, Breachers are basically done, minus backpacks (being touched up atm).

Also, its my Bday (yay, quarter century down, hopefully many more to go), so I went down to my LGS, and grabbed a box of Tacticals. Because FW order isn't here. Been lopping and chopping and green-stuffing to make earlier armor marks. Mostly MKIV, but some MKIII thrown in. Because I absolutely adore MKIV.

IMG 0375

IMG 0376

IMG 0377

IMG 0378

IMG 0379

For 30k I would be using the generic Space Marine Legions list, for 40k, not so sure atm, I'll have to see what the new BA codex brings to the table before I make any final decisions.
Currently I'm looking at a lot of infantry (with rhino transport), and possibly a small unit of bikes as a supporting force. And of course at least one unit of Terminators. Because, I have them, I like the models, and it'd be a pity to not get to use them XD

As a side note, I really like that Tartaros TDA look like mini-Contemptor dreads, at least until you put the shoulder pads on.

Archived