How to Counter Tank Spam?

Fatespinner

Pask doesn't make his squadron twin-linked, it's just him getting to re-roll To Hit rolls in his Vanquisher (along with the re-roll to glance or pen he always gets). If he's the Warlord then they have Preferred Enemy against a single codex's units but that's all.

That was it, then.  I misremembered.  I knew he had something that made him unusually accurate with those armorbane shells.

Always nice to browse a forum and come upon a thread where everyone is discussing how much of a dickbag you are.

Greetings BnC, I'm the resident IG player of this group.  Before everyone gets their torches and pitchforks, for the last month or so all of our games have had the terrain set up beforehand by either Fatespinner or our Ork player (whoever is hosting the game).  This includes the "vanquishers on a hill" game.  I think I have done the "everyone places a few pieces of terrain" thing once, in my first game when I barely knew how terrain worked.  Nobody has refused to add more terrain, we just roll with whatever board is set up when we arrive.  I wasn't even aware of what a "proper" amount of terrain was until someone showed me some pictures of tournament boards today.  

As for being a tryhard who should be banned from the local game shop, my last few lists have consisted of:

Explosions!: How many blast templates can I get per turn(19), with a side of "psykers and fortifications, how do they work?"

Burninating the Peasants: My armament consists entirely of flamethrowers.

Loltanks: How many Leman Russes can I stuff into 1500pts and still be somewhat viable? (answer:9)

Nuke it form orbit: Paskisher and a hero deathstrike VS a stompa at 1000pts, wait what?

It was the Eldar player who refused to place terrain, or set it off to the side because he didn't want to have obstructed sight lines.  You're right, you haven't really been in control of the terrain the few times we've played, but we really do need to start making terrain-dense boards.  Our current layouts really don't measure up to what a "normal" game is supposed to look like, and it renders the very concept of objective markers almost moot.

Our last game was certainly the best so far, but even that was a bit too terrain-light as there was still about 20-30" of wide open killzone.

Well, that's awkward :p ... I'm glad you guys can sort this out !

There isn't really any "proper" terrain per se, to be honest, the best terrain certainly tells a story (forteress assault, battle for the pass, etc). Problem with that type of terrain is that players should be able to decide which army they'll bring bases on the terrain.

Usually playing a fast moving, light armour Raven Guard army, from a four perspective I would certainly never bring that force to a battle in a no man's land better suited for Heavy Armour for instance !

In most clubs either for time or logistical reasons, players come with premade lists, in which case a "fair" terrain is better suited. And what's fairest than random rolling ;)

I do apologize if my posts last page hurt you though, I always comment in a tongue in cheek manner so please do not think I was meaning any serious disrespect ! :)

In most clubs either for time or logistical reasons, players come with premade lists, in which case a "fair" terrain is better suited. And what's fairest than random rolling msn-wink.gif

Our games are usually 2v2 team battles, since there are 4 of us who play (we're all co-workers). Sometimes when one person can't make it, we'll do a 2v1 battle with the outnumbered player getting double the number of points. Our lists are generally made "double-blind" with no idea what members of the other team will be bringing in advance, though we arrange what the teams will be a week or two in advance and take the opportunity to strategize with our upcoming ally before the big day. Plus, we already know most of what each person is capable of fielding, so we at least know consistently what codex(es) we'll be up against, even if we don't know which units precisely.

I told him about the forums here, and we've had this discussion a few times in person. I just wanted a broader sample of opinion, so I brought the matter here. I certainly wasn't accusing anyone of cheating, only that the games to date had felt incredibly unfair towards my army in particular (and the Ork player too, I'm not sure he's won a game yet). No harm done. :)

Yeah, my vote is communication.

The other option would be to start bringing your own terrain, Really big, tall, pieces of terrain. 5 gallon buckets come to mind. cut some holes in them, paint them up nice and blammo, good sized terrain that will limit their effectiveness. ;)

Archived