Can anyone share some sisterly wisdom?

Ishagu

I've seen a few exorcists in action, and I'm rather impressed. I also think they would make a fantastic support unit for a Grey Knights army moving forward.

I then listened to Taylor Swift's new album, and it somehow convinced me that I should get a few Sister of Battle...

So, can anyone outline a 500pt lists of sisters I can take a combined arms detachment or allied detachment? I'd like to include 2 Exorcists if that's possible? What are the good and cheap HQ/Troop choices? I know NOTHING.

I'd get the codex but payday is just over a week away....

I also quite like the idea of some hard as nails Eternal Warrior Lady marching up besides Kaldor Draigo....

I then listened to Taylor Swift's new album, and it somehow convinced me that I should get a few Sister of Battle...

This is perhaps my favorite comment I've read on this forum.

I'm completely abffled about two things. First, why anyone would willingly do the former. And second, what it was about the album that would involve any inclination towards the latter.

This is perhaps my favorite comment I've read on this forum.

I'm completely abffled about two things. First, why anyone would willingly do the former. And second, what it was about the album that would involve any inclination towards the latter.

Haters gonna hate?

I've seen a few exorcists in action, and I'm rather impressed. I also think they would make a fantastic support unit for a Grey Knights army moving forward.

So, can anyone outline a 500pt lists of sisters I can take a combined arms detachment or allied detachment? I'd like to include 2 Exorcists if that's possible? What are the good and cheap HQ/Troop choices? I know NOTHING.

I'd get the codex but payday is just over a week away....

I also quite like the idea of some hard as nails Eternal Warrior Lady marching up besides Kaldor Draigo....

Jokes about Swift's talents, wherever they may lay, aside... you like Exorcists, huh? And want Eternal Warrior on an HQ...

Combined Arms Detachment, 505 points;

Canoness (Rosarius, Mantle of Ophelia, 2x Inferno Pistol)

Battle Sister squad (No upgrades)

Battle Sister squad (No upgrades)

Exorcist (No upgrades)

Exorcist (No upgrades)

If you want to spend a little more, at 555 points you can upgrade it to a more effective

Canoness (Rosarius, Mantle of Ophelia, 2x Inferno Pistol)

Battle Sister squad (2x Meltagun)

Battle Sister squad (2x Meltagun)

Exorcist (Storm Bolter)

Exorcist (Storm Bolter)

Giving the Sisters some offensive power (Preferred Enemy meltaguns) and the Exorcists some protection (Storm Bolters effectively give the Exorcist Launcher a 4+ save vs the first Weapon Destroyed result)

of course, the advantage of including a Sororitas Combined Arms Detachment is massively increased when you realise that this unlocks Priests.

Grey Knight squads with Hatred and re-rolls to hit or save? Ne?

I'm liking this a lot. I can feel it burning points away from my existing lists!

Are the girls not better in transports?

As for miss Swift... I actually like her! During one of the songs I simply had an epiphany :-D

I'm liking this a lot. I can feel it burning points away from my existing lists!

As for miss Swift... I actually like her! During one of the songs I simply had an epiphany :-D

Personally, I don't think Taylor Swift is any better or any worse than most pop... which means that I have extremely mixed feelings about it. I'd probably never buy an entire album, because I'd be too likely to hate too many of the songs. But personally, there are a number of her pieces that I sing along to when they come on the radio, and might eventually pick up on iTunes.

She's also not an alien or a mutant, so she's got that going for her. She might be a heretic, though.

They are, but you asked for two exorcists at 500 points and an Eternal Warrior HQ msn-wink.gif If I were making a real army, I'd expand them to 10 models each and give them rhinos.

She's also not an alien or a mutant, so she's got that going for her. She might be a heretic, though.

She also doesn't wear Power Armour. Hint.

They are, but you asked for two exorcists at 500 points and an Eternal Warrior HQ msn-wink.gif If I were making a real army, I'd expand them to 10 models each and give them rhinos.

She's also not an alien or a mutant, so she's got that going for her. She might be a heretic, though.

She also doesn't wear Power Armour. Hint.

Just adding a little silliness to the thread. Can someone photoshop Taylor Swift's head into some power armor? Because that would be awesome.

Ok, ok. Let me try to contribute something meaningful.

I agree with the venerable (dreadnought?) Furyou that the Sororitas are clearly designed to be a mechanized force. Unlike, say, the Marineses, they don't get to put a heavy weapon into each of their basic Troops choices. That means there's no such thing as "objective secured squad hanging out in the backfield to hold an objective while contributing meaningfully." They also don't have Relentless heavy weapons toting uber-armored giants. Unlike the AM, the Sororitas only have one option for long-ranged tank-based firepower, and while exorcists are awesome at what they do well, they're not exactly the number one tool for every job. But what the Sororitas does have is excellent close-ranged firepower... but it's on a more fragile platform (ie. a Sister of Battle) than anyone else's similar model.

In my mind, all this adds up to an army that wants to get across the board quickly and by bubble wrapping its troops in disposable APCs.

In other words, rhinos.

So, yes. With the possible exception of a squad of retributors with heavy bolters hanging with a BS 5 canoness behind an aegis defense line (a combo I plan to add to my Sisters collection at some point because when I use them as allies for my Knights of Blood it's still cheaper than using a stormraven for anti-air, damnit!), I agree that all sisters squads want dedicated transports of some kind.

A Razorback with different weapons options and a 6++ save!

Heh. Even though it should have a fire point... grumble.

What EP said isn't quite true - we do have the option for a Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer or Multi-melta in basic troops squads, but Retributors simply do the whole 'sit back and guard' thing so much better due to their four heavy weapons and Rending Act of Faith (which also makes them excellent front-line troops when given Heavy Flamers). Besides - how many times as a Marine have you thought "If only I could put two special weapons in this squad instead of a special and a heavy..."?

Against 'gaurtanteed Marine-killers' like plasmaguns and baleflamers, the Sisters are actually more durable than Marines - both are being wounded on a 2+ and have their 3+ save negated, but the Sisters still get a 6++ and an extra body in every twelve (thirteen Sisters are the same points as twelve Marines, although my maths may be off).

So... This is legal? I can start on this small allied detachment before end of year...

-Canoness with power sword, inferno pistol, rosarius, eternal warrior relic

-5 Battle Sisters, Combi Melta, 2 Meltas, Immolator with Melta

-Exorcist, Storm Bolter

I've gone a bit melta crazy however the gk really lack anti-tank weapons.

I also really like the idea of a rending heavy bolter squad!

So... This is legal? I can start on this small allied detachment before end of year...

-Canonnes with power sword, inferno pistol, eternal warrior relic

-5 Battle Sisters, 2 Meltas, Immolator with Melta

-Exorcist, Storm Bolter

Totally legit.

But, I'd consider putting flamers on the battle sisters. The immolator is probably good enough to crack a transport - you want to have an answer for whatever's inside.

And, additionally, if you can spare the points, I'd put a simulacrum imperialis on one of those sisters. Getting to use the Act of Faith twice is pretty important, if they're going to have it work this way.

-Canonnes with power sword, inferno pistol, eternal warrior relic

-5 Battle Sisters, 2 Meltas, Immolator with Melta

-Exorcist, Storm Bolter

Totally legit.

But, I'd consider putting flamers on the battle sisters. The immolator is probably good enough to crack a transport - you want to have an answer for whatever's inside.

And, additionally, if you can spare the points, I'd put a simulacrum imperialis on one of those sisters. Getting to use the Act of Faith twice is pretty important, if they're going to have it work this way.

Ok, you do have a point, and I do like the heavy flamer sister.

On the other hand my gk already pack a few Incinerators... Hmm, I'll need to really ponder this!

All these flamers and meltas possibilities, I could make a tasty teleporting unit using Draigo or another GK Librarian... But I doubt the sisters would appreciate a brief stint through the warp :-P

Stick with meltas. GK have plenty ways to deal with infantry. One transport might not be enough to crack enemy armour, especially considering that it is tough as wet paper. Melta nuns give you a back-up plan.

Also, might I interest you in a Repressor? AV13 transport with a Heavy Flamer, Stormbolter, dozer blade and plenty of fire points is very respectable for 75 points and makes sure your meltas actually get to their target.

If you want some anti-tank punch, have you thought about taking Dominions?

Allied Detachment

HQ: Canoness (plain and dry)

Troop: Battle Sisters(5) with melta(2) in a Rhino

Fast: Dominions(5) with melta(4) in a Repressor

Heavy: Exorcist

485 points

This Canoness is an HQ tax. You could give her a rosarius for 4++ and a power weapon for 30 more points total that would allow her to contribute some to a fight. However that would go over your 500 point limit.

The Battle Sisters make a small and mobile melta platform but the big killer is the Dominion squad. Their Act of Faith lets them ignore cover for 1 turn of shooting and the Repressor lets them fire all 4 melta guns while embarked.

If you do not want to take a Forge World Repressor, put the Dominions in a Rhino and give the Canoness an Eviscerator and a Rosarius. This puts the detachment at 500 points.

[eta]

I guess I should not assume any thing ... the Dominions have Scout and therefore out flank as well. Highly mobile, cover ignoring massed melta weapons. Here comes the BOOM!

I personally would advocate for taking the Sisters as your Primary CAD. Exorcists both benefit and suffer from the law of averages and I have found that the more you have the more likely you are not critically hurt by a couple bad dice rolls determining the number of shots. If i take 1 I am almost guaranteed to have a roll of 1-2 at some point, but if I have three it isn't so bad if that happens.

Also, Grey Knights units cost so much per that they are not very hampered by the unit restrictions of staying within an Allied detachment.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a fairly solid force Jacinda but I still say pay the few points to give the Canoness a power sword so she can at least lend a hand in a fight and it will then take it up the bang on 500 points as well just to make things better. 

Repressor is worth is weight in gold due to its durability and number of fire points. 

I can attest to Grendal's comment about multiple exorcists.

I used to run 3 and shock most people in my game store when I would consistently drop a Necron monolith first turn like it was an IG sentinel.

Later I switched to 2 Exorcist and 2 Penitent Engines, and have never looked back... They work so well together at applying pressure all game long.

The only thing I miss these days are my Arco-Flagelents.

It is sad that I have to run those models as death-cult assassins, and they still can't do what they used to.

I can attest to Grendal's comment about multiple exorcists.

I used to run 3 and shock most people in my game store when I would consistently drop a Necron monolith first turn like it was an IG sentinel.

Later I switched to 2 Exorcist and 2 Penitent Engines, and have never looked back... They work so well together at applying pressure all game long.

The only thing I miss these days are my Arco-Flagelents.

It is sad that I have to run those models as death-cult assassins, and they still can't do what they used to.

I would think that Arco-Flagellents could be very useful now that you can take allies with assault transports and priests.  They are a lot like Repentia in that they need investment to work, but are intended for different targets.

Nice force list Jacinda- I like it. If I had a repressor I would use it with Dominions as you suggest.

I have played Sisters on and off since 3rd ed, and have always found seraphim to be good. In their new incarnation with this codex and 7th ed. they are even better. Gunslingers with two hand flamers (or two inferno pistols if you have the points...).  I have used the following for an effective 500 (technically 495) pt ally force.

Celestine

10 Sisters with Simulacrum Imperialis

5 Seraphim with 1x pair of hand flamers

1 Avenger Strike Fighter

I have found that a bare bones squad of sisters can do amazing things with preferred enemy when they are in rapid fire range. So I spend the points in a Simulacrum rather than special weapons when I run the unit- twice is better!

If you wanted an exorcist, it would free up 30 pts to upgrade to inferno pistols or to add in a few more bodies.

Archived