Are Land Raiders worth the points in 7th?

Jostal

I love land raiders and I want them to remain a powerful part of the game. Also, I own two land raider crusaders! I have to admit that for all that everyone talks about how fragile they are, I've never had one killed out from under me, though this one time my land raider got caught on terrain... that sucked.

That said, I frequently find myself using my stormraven instead, if only because it provides me with some anti-air capacity.

I also haven't played in a while, and as some folks have pointed out, flyers seem to be slightly in decline. So... here's hoping that my land raiders will see more play in the near future. I wonder how they'll fair against Orks in my upcoming narrative campaign.

I havnt touched one since late 5th ed. I really want to fight a land raider list cause 2 orbitals and 5 melta guns in a pod work wonders :D The last event I went to the top overall player ran a ultramarines landraider with his list but the only game i saw of his it got ruined turn 2 by nid haywire flamers and guns....

Lol someone said something funny but true recently.

Why do we not see as much Tau anymore? Because all those players moved on to Eldar! :-P

That's not entirely fair. I used to play Tau. I stopped because I got bored with them - the Blood Angels codex is much more fun. The Tau can be great if that's what you're into.

Why do we not see as much Tau anymore? Because all those players moved on to Eldar! :-P

That's not entirely fair. I used to play Tau. I stopped because I got bored with them - the Blood Angels codex is much more fun. The Tau can be great if that's what you're into.

Xeno loving heretic :-P

Ironically the Tau style of play is one I can really get behind!

Xeno loving heretic :-P

Ironically the Tau style of play is one I can really get behind!

I fond that interesting as I almost never manage to get behind them. They always seem to hug the board edge to keep me from getting back there. (But all shooty really doesnt make for interesting games after the firat dozen or so)

In my experience chaos is capable of fielding a reliable and adaptable God-hammer pattern so long as they upgrade it appropriately. For the same price as a normal raider we can equip ours with extra armor, dirge casters, and dozerblades. True, we can't fire an extra weapon at full ballistics skill when moving 12", but that doesn't matter when you've chosen to move 18" anyways. In my experience the Chaos Landraider is sufficient for our needs, not the most effective against infantry, but certainly capable at its role. 

Well, that is only if they roll a 7 on the vehicle damage table, which they will most likely do since they'll be spamming AP1-AP2 weapon at the Land Raiders...

I think they are worth it, if only you can have other priority tanks that the enemy should throw his meltas on like Vindicators for instance. The value of the Land Raider isn't really with his armaments, but rather with his ability to safely deliver an assault unit right into the enemy's frontline.

LR Crusaders with Crusader squads work out nicely, much like redeemers with Assault Centurions. The standard Land Raider is in a bit of an odd spot in my humble opinion in that its armament isn't much to write home about. 2 TL Lascannons really doesn't pack much punch especially at range when the enemy will have cover saves, but it will be in a good supporting role once it has delivered its content. Most importantly, it will force the enemy's toughest targets to stick to cover, which is always good to take :)

Then of course you have the loyalist Land Raider Achilles.

Immune to Lance, immune to Melta, makes Pen rolls -1 on the V.Damage table.

The first time I fielded an Achilles in my gaming group I showed our resident Ork player the rules and his only response was, "God... Is that you?"

Then of course you have the loyalist Land Raider Achilles.

Immune to Lance, immune to Melta, makes Pen rolls -1 on the V.Damage table.

The first time I fielded an Achilles in my gaming group I showed our resident Ork player the rules and his only response was, "God... Is that you?"

Yeah, the last time I played one was at an LGS out of state that I hadn't played at before. They let me field the Achilles but after the game they were like "Yeah uh, we're just a small group, we don't usually see such vehicles.". And all of a sudden I felt like "that guy". I haven't used my Achilles since.

Its not really OP if you're familiar with it (Melta Bomb, etc. still works). But it can be invincible if you're not expecting it.

Same thing for regular Land Raiders. At one point, everyone had them and knew how to deal with them (and could even likely blow them up in the first turn). But then suddenly they became scarce again and some folks don't have the tools to deal with them effectively. I once played an Ork mob that had no Melta and nothing above S8. Depends on your local meta I guess.

"Same thing for regular Land Raiders. At one point, everyone had them and knew how to deal with them (and could even likely blow them up in the first turn). But then suddenly they became scarce again and some folks don't have the tools to deal with them effectively. I once played an Ork mob that had no Melta and nothing above S8. Depends on your local meta I guess."

That's pretty much my experience with them. If someone packs their list with melta deepstrike units or ordinance weapons, its going to be difficult. But most ppl don't do this. Even melta has to be with 6" or 12" to really do anything.

The vast majority of times I play the list I put three land raiders on the table and people have no idea what to do.

Its not really OP if you're familiar with it (Melta Bomb, etc. still works). But it can be invincible if you're not expecting it.

The Emperor has truely blessed me today, the melta bomb is armorbane.... Thanks for reminding me that, since a good friend of mine runs a Achilles and with chaos getting the relic vehicles with armored ceramite I need to be able to nuke em.

Archived