Is Dawn of War III Not Happening?

Julgolax

I've been doing some digging lately, looking through rumor posts, any official news on the subject, and I haven't found anything to say that SEGA is doing anything with Dawn of War 3 since the collapse of THQ. Not to mention Relic, as far as I know, dissolved slowly in the depths of the night because I've not heard a single thing done by them in years. So, is it pretty much ironclad assured that DoW 3 isn't happening?

Lately there have been a lot of cash-grab mobile/ipad games coming out that try to sell themselves on the nostalgia of Dawn of War, and then of course the dismally boring hack'n'slash Ultrasmurfs "SPACE MARINE" which is now coming to a Buy-To-Play MMO near you this coming year, complete with it's own cash-for-pixels shop and buy-to-win business model. It seems the future of virtual 40K is about as dismal and shrewd as the table top...

This leads me to believe that DoW 3 isn't happening because both the developer and GW can't make a continuing flow of money off of it like they can with crappy mobile games and MMO's. I certainly hope that someone out there will make a crowd-funded attempt at an awesome sequel RTS that we all want, but I doubt it.

What do you guys think?

The develop (relic studios) was part of THQ, which as we know went under. So unless someone else picks up the franchise (unlikely) I don't think we'll see DoW III. Just like we won't see a Spacemarine II

The develop (relic studios) was part of THQ, which as we know went under. So unless someone else picks up the franchise (unlikely) I don't think we'll see DoW III. Just like we won't see a Spacemarine II

Isn't it interesting how the two most popular titles produced for 40K-based video games are the two least likely to be reacquired by another developer? Thanks once again to the money-over-blood policy of this modern economy! I actually didn't know that THQ was the overlord of Relic, I always thought THQ was to Relic as EA is to BioWare, the money behind the developer.

It's quite sad. I would love a Spacemarine II, I can only imagine how the online multiplayer would have changed, undoubtedly they had many planned mechanic changes and new features. And the changes between DoW and DoW II were amazing, it became far superior to the warcraft/starcraft clone the first one was.

Maybe if we're lucky the developers of Eternal Crusade will take a swing at the franchises. Based off what I've seen so far it looks like it will be great.

This leads me to believe that DoW 3 isn't happening because both the developer and GW can't make a continuing flow of money off of it like they can with crappy mobile games and MMO's.

GW give licences to companies who want to use their IP. They don't commission them. The cost of developing AAA titles now makes licensed IP quite unattractive to major publishers - it's hard enough to make money as it is without giving somebody else a significant cut and having no rights to merchandising.

Relic are a fairly small studio and they've been working on Company of Heroes 2 since Sega rescued them from the THQ bankruptcy, which only came out last summer. Historically, they've usually had 2-3 years between new games (as opposed to expansions), so I wouldn't expect an announcement before next year if they were working on anything 40k.

They updated Dawn of War 2 in September, stripping out the Games for Windows Live integration, and have continued to support it on their servers, so I doubt we've seen the last of the franchise.

Funnily enough, due to the mention of Bioware,I think that they (Bioware) got the rights to make Spacemarine 2.

Gives paragon and renegade completely new meanings, doesn't it.

Space Marine rpg? Don't play with my heart Cap'n. I wonder how Bioware would handle it, have they done shooty beat em ups before? Maybe we'll see them change Exterminatus to match ME3's multiplayer. And psykers with their bionics ( ;) ) may make an appearance if that's the case.

If they truly did get the license, I hope they don't mess it up. I have to know what happens to the most un-Ultramarines (or arguably one of the most Ultramarines-y captains, depends on how you view a certain quote by one Mr.Guilliman) Ultramarines Captain!

I only briefly played Space Marine so I suppose I can't comment on it in too much detail though any kind of hack'n'slash game like that generally holds no appeal for me beyond the first hour of gameplay. Now DoW I've been playing, happily, for YEARS and I must say that it's a franchise that deserves a proper revivification. I don't want this to turn into a wish list thread, so let me be clear on not letting it become one... but I would love nothing more for Dawn of War 3 to build on the success of the original Dawn of War and it's expansions.

Dawn of War 2 was a cold-hearted attempt at making an RTS with RPG elements. I don't want that. I want the table top experience to come alive again like it did for DoW 1 when I first played through the campaign. The lore came alive in the characters, the story, and the action. Remembering what made DoW so revolutionary was the ability to get right in the middle of the action while commanding your troops from above a moment later. That should continue to be the center of their experience while also using equally rich and interesting story to drive the player onward.

The hack n' slash element of Space Marine was cool the first playthrough. The multiplayer really did it for me, though if it was a bit more GoW-esque with it's utilisation of cover it'd have been perfect.

I think if Blizzard had the balls to pick up DoW, they would. But it'd compete with SC II and a move like that could be risky. Rumor has it in ye olde days Blizzard and GW were collaborating on an RPG of Warhammer fantasy, and there was a falling out between the two. Now look where Blizzard is at...

But I agree, DoW had moments where it outshone DoW II. But to me, the way unit mechanics were in DoW II made it all that much better.

I digress, from what I read earlier in this thread it would seem that Relic is still alive and kicking. Albeit, they probably have a greatly reduced staff. So that puts a new hope on the horizon for another installment of the DoW franchise. Let us keep our fingers crossed!

Funnily enough, due to the mention of Bioware,I think that they (Bioware) got the rights to make Spacemarine 2.

I don't think that rumour has ever been confirmed, and it didn't make a great deal of sense as originally reported. Licence deals aren't normally transferable without the licensor's agreement, so they couldn't acquire the rights to 40k like that. I'm sure GW would love BioWare to pick up a licence, but they wouldn't need to buy anything to do that.

The deal was supposedly for Space Marine and Dark Millennium, but Dark Millennium was apparently being turned into another single player 3rd-person brawler by that stage. BioWare is EA's RPG studio and increasingly focused on their original IP, so what would they want with a couple of licensed action games? If EA wanted anything to do with the games, they have several more appropriate studios to handle them than BioWare.

I suspect what they acquired, if anything, was the technology built for Dark Millennium when it was still going to be an MMO. Vigil made some technically impressive stuff, and I could see their approach to building an action RPG being of interest to BioWare.

Space Marine rpg? Don't play with my heart Cap'n. I wonder how Bioware would handle it, have they done shooty beat em ups before? Maybe we'll see them change Exterminatus to match ME3's multiplayer. And psykers with their bionics ( msn-wink.gif ) may make an appearance if that's the case.

If they truly did get the license, I hope they don't mess it up. I have to know what happens to the most un-Ultramarines (or arguably one of the most Ultramarines-y captains, depends on how you view a certain quote by one Mr.Guilliman) Ultramarines Captain!

If Bioware were to make a 40k Game I think they'd better be suited to putting you in the shoes of an Inquisitor...oh wait DA:I...

I don't really see them being able to bring to life the uber-brutal-ness that is the daily like of a Space Marine in a warzone. Doesn't mean they can't and I'd be pretty happy if they did.

So, apparently, Eternal Crusade will be Space Marine's PvP on a Planetside 2 scale. Which is definitely awesome ! The videos I've looked of the early footage so far look very promising and capture a lot of the feel of the universe. They also closely work with Black Library writers to make sure the universe is coherent with what we all know. I wouldn't be quick to dismiss it or have prejudices because it's a third person action mmo.

I really wouldn't want BioWare to make a W40k game though, for once, they really screwed up Mass Effect 3 due to "artistic integrity" and they would probably try to make the game too meaningful for the W40k setting. The only thing they could pull off would be the fall to Chaos of a Captain and his company due to his own free will contradicting with the "you do what you must" mentality of the Imperium.

Nevertheless, I'm sure I'm not fan of the universe to take part in the moral dilemmas of Space Marines but to watch them kick ass and chew bubble gum made from their enemies' brains !

I personally liked the ending of Mass Effect 3, but that is a conversation for another time and place.

For a Space Marine RPG, imagine this: you are a chaplain; it is not merely your duty to serve as an example to the men on the field of battle, but also to advise them in spiritual matters off of the battlefield. Your actions could encourage an ordinary battle-brother to exemplary feats of arms, earning him a place in the legends of the chapter; or, if you misjudge his character, you might unwittingly set him on the path to damnation.

Just a thought that I had right now.

In all seriousness though, I guess Dawn of War 3 isn't happening, at least not any time within the next 5 years. :(

I would certainly hope however that if Dawn of War 3 miraculously goes into development that they don't just make Dawn of War 2 with more units but actually gives us back base building, defenses, and actual strategy again. :P

In all seriousness though, I guess Dawn of War 3 isn't happening, at least not any time within the next 5 years. sad.png

Here's a story from just last month about them updating DoW2: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-05-warhammer-40k-dawn-of-war-2-ditches-games-for-windows-live

Which links to a story from last year about the possibility of the franchise continuing:

"Dawn of War, because it's a license and it's owned by Games Workshop, they have the opportunity to work that license with whoever they want. I would hope it would be us again. We had a great working relationship with Games Workshop. Sega is establishing one now with the fantasy license for Creative Assembly.

"There's a strong possibility we'll all be working together again on Dawn of War."

There must still be some sort of agreement in place for the games to be available - Sega is collecting money through Steam, and GW will want their cut. 2016 would be my bet for the earliest it could happen though.

I'd rather not Bioware make Dawn of War III. I don't want second lieutenant Mira to come back with a jacket instead of combat armor to show off her latest breast job along with her new L'Oréal hairdo, an entire order of the Adepta Sororitas with their tits hanging out as they battle heretics, the camera to make a huge zoom on your female navigator's butt every times she talks, a whole race of bisexual space minxes with as much concept of personal space as the World Eaters have of mercy or a dating sim with tsundere dark eldars wearing nothing above their belts.

In all seriousness though, I guess Dawn of War 3 isn't happening, at least not any time within the next 5 years. sad.png

Here's a story from just last month about them updating DoW2: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-05-warhammer-40k-dawn-of-war-2-ditches-games-for-windows-live

Which links to a story from last year about the possibility of the franchise continuing:

"Dawn of War, because it's a license and it's owned by Games Workshop, they have the opportunity to work that license with whoever they want. I would hope it would be us again. We had a great working relationship with Games Workshop. Sega is establishing one now with the fantasy license for Creative Assembly.

"There's a strong possibility we'll all be working together again on Dawn of War."

I strongly doubt 2016, 17, or 18 will see anything to do with Dawn of War III but at least that message gave me hope. :)

I'd rather not Bioware make Dawn of War III. I don't want second lieutenant Mira to come back with a jacket instead of combat armor to show off her latest breast job along with her new L'Oréal hairdo, an entire order of the Adepta Sororitas with their tits hanging out as they battle heretics, the camera to make a huge zoom on your female navigator's butt every times she talks, a whole race of bisexual space minxes with as much concept of personal space as the World Eaters have of mercy or a dating sim with tsundere dark eldars wearing nothing above their belts.

I am strangely aroused right now. Is that a bad thing? ^^

While being slightly off subject, i just have to respond to this

and then of course the dismally boring hack'n'slash Ultrasmurfs "SPACE MARINE" which is now coming to a Buy-To-Play MMO near you this coming year, complete with it's own cash-for-pixels shop and buy-to-win business model. It seems the future of virtual 40K is about as dismal and shrewd as the table top...

And how so? It is in no way a Buy to Win model. I know this because i follow their updates regularly, and am also a long-time member. Mind justifying your statement?

While being slightly off subject, i just have to respond to this

and then of course the dismally boring hack'n'slash Ultrasmurfs "SPACE MARINE" which is now coming to a Buy-To-Play MMO near you this coming year, complete with it's own cash-for-pixels shop and buy-to-win business model. It seems the future of virtual 40K is about as dismal and shrewd as the table top...

And how so? It is in no way a Buy to Win model. I know this because i follow their updates regularly, and am also a long-time member. Mind justifying your statement?

Pretty much through experience. Neverwinter, Planetside 2, Guild Wars 2 (to an extent), and I contend even WoW is pay to win because Blizzard remarkably hasn't found a way to ban gold sellers. (probably because they're in those people's pockets) This MMO will be no different. They're doing the same cash-for-stuff model that Guild Wars 2 uses and when a game has a "founders pack", it's basically telling me that they don't have any funding on the game and need handouts to make something potable for players to want to spend more money on in their stores.

Oh, and I quote from the site...

As a Free to WAAAGH! Ork, you will have the full and complete access to the core of the Ork units: Loota, Shoota and Choppa boyz. In addition you will be able to spawn and use, on a daily basis, an Ork Warbike and an Ork Trukk. The rest of the Ork progression will be unlockable through the store at your discretion. You will be able to unlock the classes and vehicles you want according to your gameplay preferences.

Yeaaah... no, I'll pass.

I Feel your pain. Bioware has made some pretty interesting decisions in their RPGs, many of which are pretty ridiculous.

But If they made Space Marine into the game you just described? I would buy that business day one and no one would see me for the first week at least :D

Like I've said previously, I'd only trust Bioware with a WH40k Game if the PC was an Inquisitor. Lets you have Radical and Purtian alignments, some interactions with xenos, Biowares art style for females would work since it would focus more on seedy underworlds rather than a battlefield where hundreds are dying by the second and your Character being a Transhuman Uber soldier wearing tank armor and killing orks/tyranids/eldar(both kinds) and Traitors by the dozens if not hundreds.

Then again, we have Dragon Age : Inquisition where you do just that but in a Fantasy Setting. Close enough, I guess... tongue.png

For Spacemarine games, I'd trust the guys who made Deadspace ( Visceral games iirc) to make a good one over Bioware.

Well, its officially ActivisionBlizzard...I wouldn't mind seeing the other half of the name make a 1 off single player RPG in the universe though that will never happen :p

Archived