Adeptus Astra Telepathica Question

Julgolax

As a multi-functional part of the Imperium, the Adeptus Astra Telepathica locates, recruits, develops, and trains human psychics to fulfill a myriad of roles abroad. My question is this though, are psychics too few or too restricted to be a cohesive force in their own right?

I think it would be a really awesome Apocalypse Formation or even, in an abstract fashion, a possible standalone army like the Tempestus Scions to have a psychic strikeforce.

I doubt the imperium would let that many non-astartes pysker loose in a combat role. Most psykers are physically frail. Getting too many psykers together makes their presence in the warp attract bigger baddies. In the Shira calpurnia novels there is a passage about them resonating off each other and really wonky stuff happening.

locates, recruits, develops, and trains human psychics

Haha good euphemism there.

Psykers arn't exactly rare, however they are dangerous. Majority of which will be fed to The Emperor or hooked up to the Astronomican. 

Personally I dont believe the High Lords would allow it, you have to remember that Psykers are viewed as the scum of the galaxy as they have been 'tainted' by the warp. To huddle a big group of them in one place wouldn't be a very good idea im afraid.

The issue isn't psykers in combat -- the Imperial Guard do it all the time with the Primaris Psyker and Psyker Battle Squads -- the problem is you wanting to use the Telepathicus.

Astrotelepaths are the only means the Imperium has of timely interstellar communications.  They're a precious resource, especially since in some cases you need an entire choir -- not just one Astrotelepath -- to send a message.  They're kept isolated in towers all their own for more than just protecting others from. . . possible warp issues. . . after all.  They need to be protected, not risked on the battlefield.

The Scholastica Psykana is what I assume Deus Ex Ferrum is referring to as being where such psykers should come from. They are the branch that takes them off the Black Ships, trains them, determines their value, and sends them off to wherever they are fated to be.

But they are a branch under the Adeptus Astartes Telepathicus, the umbrella organization that envelops all of psychic humanity, itself a branch of Adeptus Terra.

The inquisition has a psyker. That is their name, rules and confusing. Thay have one attack, the more psykers (the model not the generic psyker *sigh*) the greater the boom. If the attack perils then they all die. I suppose they could pass as a AAT force, just dont ask if they can use a land speeder storm.

↓ Sorry for the eye sore.

The inquisition has a psyker. That is their name, rules and confusing. Thay have one attack, the more psykers (the model not the generic psyker *sigh*) the greater the boom. If the attack perils then they all die. I suppose they could pass as a AAT force, just dont ask if they can use a land speeder storm.

↓ Sorry for the eye sore.

That's a good point. Now I'm thinking that my idea could just be a counts-as baneblade... biggrin.png

• 3 weeks later...

Not to drag up a half month dead conversation, but the inquisition does not have that psyker power anymore.  it was lost in the 7th edition shuffle.  henchmen psykers get 1 roll, per squad, on divination, telepathy, telekinesis, pyromancy or sanctic.

Not to drag up a half month dead conversation, but the inquisition does not have that psyker power anymore.  it was lost in the 7th edition shuffle.  henchmen psykers get 1 roll, per squad, on divination, telepathy, telekinesis, pyromancy or sanctic.

Really? I can't find the FAQ that does that - can you point me in the right direction?

• 2 months later...

The Adeptus Astra Telepathica does indeed have their own militant arm, the Templars Psykanis. Only two varieties have been mentioned, the Augur squad and the Disruptor squad. Note that they have only been mentioned in official orders of battle and have not (to my best knowledge) had rules printed for them.

If they even still exist. Might be we have not heard of them because they are no longer a thing, for whatever reason. The era directly following the Heresy was full of sweeping reforms, upheavals and mass refinement. Could be the Sisters as an individual group were undone in the process, possibly becoming something else, or multiple somethings.

That is part of their duties, yes, although in some 40k sources the Adepta Sororitas have taken over guarding the Black Ships for some reason... not really sure why the AAT would want the Ecclesiarchy to have that kind of power over them, but thems the breaks.

That is part of their duties, yes, although in some 40k sources the Adepta Sororitas have taken over guarding the Black Ships for some reason... not really sure why the AAT would want the Ecclesiarchy to have that kind of power over them, but thems the breaks.

They probably want them guarding the ships because they are more able to fight off the corrupting influence of the warp than most other people, and are far more common than the SoS. Aren't the Sisters of Silence nulls, and so incredibly rare? 

Yes, but Battle Sisters are pretty rare too - estimates put them at between fifty thousand (Original numbers) to two million (unsourced) Battle Sisters in the whole galaxy.

Anyway, the SoS' main job was guarding the Black Ships, of which there aren't very many either. The fact that the job has been farmed out to the Ecclesiarchy doesn't speak well for the state of the AAT's blank army, especially when you have Eisenhorn claiming his Distaff of about forty blankers to be one of the most powerful anti-daemon weapons in the galaxy.

Yes, but Battle Sisters are pretty rare too - estimates put them at between fifty thousand (Original numbers) to two million (unsourced) Battle Sisters in the whole galaxy.

Anyway, the SoS' main job was guarding the Black Ships, of which there aren't very many either. The fact that the job has been farmed out to the Ecclesiarchy doesn't speak well for the state of the AAT's blank army, especially when you have Eisenhorn claiming his Distaff of about forty blankers to be one of the most powerful anti-daemon weapons in the galaxy.

Maybe they both work together?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this back up but I found this older quote from Laurie Goulding over on The First Expedition in regards to the Sisters of Silence post-heresy.

"We do not presently know what happened to them. Certainly, it seems that they no longer existed by the time the Ecclesiarchy rose to power (late M32-ish). They definitely do not exist by M41 - sorry! :)"

Archived