Best ADB Books

Deamon Wolf

Ok I think we can all Agree that ADB and not Dan Abnett is the best Author on Black Libs books

this has just been confirmed to be by doing a marathon Talon of Horus listening session ( yes i do the audio book thing )

So My Favirot ADB Book is the Emperors Gift but after listening to the Talon of Horus i think i might be changing it

Waht say you brothers what are your Favirot BL books ?

To split the topic in two:

1. I am a very big fan of ADB but also of John French, Guy Haley, Chris Wraight and Dan Abnett and don't have a clear favourite.

There are lots of superb authors now writing for BL - which is brilliant. Pantheon of greatness.

In order

1. Talon of Horus

2. Helsreach/Blood and Fire

3. The First Heretic

4. Betrayer

5. Night Lords Trilogy

6. Emperor's Gift

7. Cadian Blood

He is honestly the best of the BL authors, hands down. He is also the patron of the Warhammer Bald, Bearded Master Race. 

We're all different, and you gotta be fair to the other authors. There are some that I will never read again, or avoid, but I'll never mention them.  At the same time, ADB sits in top 5 for me, but Talon of Horus is my least favorite novel of his.

However Betrayer is huge to me. The challenge of taking one of the most one dimensional, shallow sandboxes and giving us so many layers to (let's be honest) a chapter composed of grunting madmen with axes was monumental.

That's why I've always liked Dan Abnett. Only he could make Bloodpact so cool that I actually did a full tournament army of them. Dan Abnett took the Wolves side of the Prospero story when no one really wanted it. I heard it was going to be a coin flip between him and Graham and Dan just said he'd take it on regardless because of the challenge of adding dimension to the Legion.

So there you have another very poorly written Legion of gasoline drinking space vikings, and he literally changes the way authors write about them, and how fans think about the Legion. That sort of stuff really impresses me.

So ADB's World Eaters had the same effect on me. I found myself drawn to something that I had previously only wanted a one night stand with. I wanted to know more of Angron's tragedy, the Legion that sacrificed their sanity to connect with a madman, and how they would evolve to (somewhat) adapt to that lifestyle for the love of a madman that would never love them back.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm okay with that. Mom always said I was 'special'.

I think ADB and Dan Abnett are my top two.  But my shelves are full of books by a variety of authors.

Though it may be a skewed opinion I would put the Night Lords trilogy and short stories up at the top.  I mean I had Lord of the Night for 5 years or so before Soul Hunter came around but that took me from liking the Night Lords from a mixed background perspective to building an army.

Helsreach, and Betrayer (Fear to Tread by Swallow and all of my Gaunt's Ghosts if we're speaking of non-ADB books) have to be my most worn novels on the shelf.  40k wise of course.  These Dragon Lance books are far older.

The Talon of Horus was straight in at number one for me. 

I'm not sure Abnett even makes my top five any more. Great writer, obviously, but his 40k never feels quite like my 40k. In my 40k, you don't use psychic powers to fix your hair during Warp transit. In my 40k, shops and mooks aren't all equipped with impenetrable psychic shielding. In my 40k, "not having a soul" doesn't come with an on-off switch.

But I always did wonder why he had the Orks wielding spears all the time.

Tribes of Feral Orks pouring out of the Equatorial Jungle have been in the Third War for Armageddon background since forever.

Tribes of Feral Orks pouring out of the Equatorial Jungle have been in the Third War for Armageddon background since forever.

Sure - and it's been a long while since I read it - but I just seem to recall it as pretty much all the Orks using spears for close combat weapons. Just struck me as an odd detail. But I might be misremembering.

Archived