Raven Guard Drop Pod Assault 3000pts.

gmaleron

Hello everyone once again. First and foremost I want to apologize for the amount of lists ive been posting, I am very excited about getting into Horus Heresy and my mind sometimes tend to wander. However what inspired this latest list is the biggest decision to build an army like this: my wallet. Though the idea of an Iron Hands army is very much appealing, unfortunately it would break the bank for me and I could not afford it anytime soon. Thus it has inspired me to construct an army that I could reasonably afford, a Raven Guard Drop Pod army which I feel will be fluffy, decently competitive and wont completely break the bank. As I am still new to Horus Heresy I really would appreciate feedback from you more experienced players, thank you for posting!

RITE OF WAR:

-Orbital Assault 

LORD OF WAR:

-Corvus Corax

HQ:

-Strike Captain Alvarex Maun

-Librarian

*w/ Force Axe, Artificer Armor

ELITES:

-x8 Mor Deythan Strike Squad *Alvarex Maun & Librarian Here*

*w/  x3 Volkite Chargers, x5 Combi-Weapons

-Drop Pod

-x10 Mor Deythan Strike Squad *Librarian Here*

*w/ *x3 Volkite Chargers, x7 Combi-Weapons

-Drop Pod

-Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought

*w/ x2 Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

-Legion Dreadnought Drop Pop

-Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought 

*w/ x2 Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

-Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod

TROOPS:

-x10 Tactical Squad

*w/ Sergeant w/ Combi-Weapon

-Drop Pod

-x10 Tactical Squad

*w/ Sergeant w/ Combi-Weapon

-Drop Pod

FAST ATTACK:

-x10 Dark Fury Assault Squad *Corax Here*

*w/ x10 Raven Talons

HEAVY SUPPORT:

-Deathstorm Drop Pod

*w/ Krak Launcher

-Deathstorm Drop Pod

*w/ Krak Launcher

-Deathstorm Drop Pod

*w/ Krak Launcher

TOTAL ARMY: 2996 POINTS

Model Count:

-x40 Infantry

-x1 Lord of War

-x9 Drop Pods

-x2 Dreadnoughts

Tactics:

-The x3 Deathstoms will come down first (most of the time) and try to do as much damage as possible with all their Krak Missiles, also coming down first will be the Pod with Alvarex Maun and the Librarain to give me a nasty Alpha Strike potential with powers such as Psychic Shriek. Second Wave will consist of the Dreadnoughts, and the Tactical Squads coming in to reinforce the first set of Drop Pods. The Super Assault Squad accompanying Corax will start on the table and bound up the field making my opponent pick and choose his targets. Also with the Onslaught Force Organization Chart I will always go second giving me a big advantage with this army in regards to getting first blood and Alpha Striking.

These "stupid" restruction, enable 30k to do twice as many armies and keep much better balance than 40k ;)

It is mostly fair to do RoW and FoC together, but drop assault and onslaught makes the disadvantage of onslaught into an advantag, and as such purely beneficial. So it could create fishy things, and 30k do not want fishy cheese.

I like the list however, and i doubt it was your purpose. I just mention the reason :) I would like to play you anytime with my Iron Warriors! :D would be a cool match

Oh I understand, I just think its silly to offer these FOC's in the first place then is all msn-wink.gif. And thanks, I tried to make it as fluffy but decently competitive as possible. Wondering do you think it would be worth it to Drop the Contemptors for more Mor Deythan Squads? Or should I change up the armament on my Dreadnoughts?

Well, drop pods lists aren't my Forte, so..can't really comment on anything about the list itself.

However, I personally, would remove the Volkites from the Mor'Deythan and just Load up on Combi-Weapons.

Now that I think about it, I think a Fire Raptor might be a better addition to the list than the Death Storms but thats just me and it'd break the theme. If you could find other methods of getting Anti-Air within Drop Pods, I'd consider using a Contemptor Dreadnought Talon all in pods for more punch. They're also more flexible than the Deathstorms.

Archived