Tempestus *Spoilers*

Kilofix

Overall an ok short read.

Lots of sections were pretty straightforward and typical.

Nice incorporation of the Taurox and Scion Orders, even if slightly forced.

But what I found to be very interesting was the concept of the moon dragging along the world wave.

Some questions though - did the Brine Goddess and Shel Cultists have anything to do with the 'Nids (perhaps even Hybrid Cult)? Or were they strictly a local / mutant thing?

They were definitely related to Nids, it's flashed to in a scene in Shadow of the Leviathan

Interesting, I'll need to read that then.

But more importantly, that does mean Stealer Cults then?!! :D

As much as I'd wish it to be so, Genestealer Cults show up fairly infrequently in the novels, but haven't materialized as an army since 3rd Edition (even then as a CJ codex).

The problem of a Genestealer Cult army is that is has to have models to exist. And right now there are no hybrids, magi, patriarchs (though I guess a Broodlord could replace the patriarch) or cultists. The only GC models in production are the genestealers themselves, lol

I'd love to see it happen though. Ally chart would look wacky though, lol. They'd theoretically be able to ally with IGuard, but not other Imperial factions. And they can't ally with Tyranids either, because Tyranids just eat the Cult along with everyone else. 

...And they can't ally with Tyranids either, because Tyranids just eat the Cult along with everyone else. 

FWIW, I thought that thanks to pheromones or whatever, the 'Nids knew to eat the genestealer cultists last? That could be a basis for a pretty good "alliance," if you're a nihilistic cultist who wants to be eaten, just as long as you make sure everyone else gets eaten as well.

• 2 weeks later...
... did the Brine goddess and the Shel cultists have anything to do with the 'Nids

Yes. In an earlier draft, it was revealed that "Shelse" is actually a Tyranid observer organism that has been on Lysios for a couple of thousand years (arrived shortly after the environmental collapse).  As it began its psychic probing of the minds of the locals, it learned of the legend of the Brine Goddess, and over time, it eventually took on that persona. It reaches up to the moon because it is in love with Ixoi (as per the mythology), but  also because it yearns for - and eagerly anticipates - the arrival of the main Hive Fleet. Shelse has a kind of dual identity going on, and for a Tyranid, is a bit confused.   ;)

The Shelsists are actually a kind of Genestealer cult... which is why they initially confound Canoness Grace; she assumes that they are Chaos followers, yet they show none of the four marks.

The world wave concept was very interesting.  I enjoyed that as a setting, and how it manifested in the background of the plot and soceity of the planet, etc.  But when the part where the world wave was directly in the action... it was difficult to believe.  I wondered if the author had spent much time on the open ocean, out where the really big waves are.  The natural forces of the wind, the water, the tide... it broke kayfabe for me. 

I didn't understand why the 'Nids had to be in it at all.  I think it would have been much less convoluted if the Big Bad had just been some massive creature corrupted by Chaos that underlied the cults, and the cultists were just Chaos cultists. 

Liked the Sisters, though.  Wished there had been more of them.

Archived