Whats our best anti-tank? Devil Dogs good?

Merellin

So, I have been working on my Guard forces, Slowly painting the few models I got so far and planning what to buy next and so far, I like this. I'm actualy having a good time painting for once! Go Guard! Anyways, I was wondering, Whats our best anti tank options? And is the Devil Dog a good option? It looks good on paper with it's 24 inch Melta Blast. And you can give it a Multi Melta too for extra tank killing power.

I unfortunately dont have a camera, Hoping to afford one after christmas though, Then I shall upload images so I can show people! I own 10 Cadians (Two boxes of Snapfit Guardsmen) and I have painted 5 of them this week (Three and a half of them today. Big upgrade from my usual 1 model every 3 months or so.. XD)

I'm quite fond of the Devildog. It's responsive, and has two chances to Melta something. Close up it can easily get behind most isolated Tanks to get that tasty Side/Rear Armour. It's fragile under focused fire, but with other threats pressing your opponent, it can be ignored at times.

Not to mention the S8 AP1 Small Blast being handy against T4 Multi-Wound targets in a pinch.

As said already. 

The Devildog is a good alternative. But you need other elements that takes away their threat level so they can roam "free". As the only source of anti tank it will be a target for sure. So make sure you have a good mix of things. 

I agree, it's a useful tank that provides a different take on AT but as Vash said you'll need more than Devildogs to get the job done so think of it as a good support unit to your normal AT. It can be a bit niche but it can really shine with the right targets. Normal AT is usually provided by our impressive range of heavy weapons - autocannons, lascannons and of course the heaviest of guns that must be mounted on vehicles such as Russes and artillery.

Tackling AV14 heavy armour is a bit tricky at range though so you usually have a bit of melta spread around - typically on Vets for their 3 weapons at BS4. Vanquishers are good long range AT, but struggle with being a single shot weapon. Devildogs make for a good hunter unit, or to spearhead a counter attack such as intercepting a Land Raider for example. As long as you have some variety you shouldn't have too much trouble with popping tanks :)

As for a camera don't worry too much, I use my phone camera and nobody has complained yet :lol:

Well, My phone camera isent super good, And I dont have any internet in my phone. So no way of getting the images off the phone.. =P So I'm saving up for a digital camera ^_^

I'm planning to have one or two units of 3 Lascannon teams through my Platoons to add to the anti-tank. They seem a bit good at missing though.. XD

Deepstriking stormtrooper command squad with 4 meltas and orders is pretty potent. Pask in a vanquisher and his squadron mate are solid anti-tank. Madusas kick ass on everything but now you have to use forgeworld rules. Melta vets in chimeras or valks are also good. Basilisks/heavy artillery carriages can mess up some armor too.

Nobody is going to mention the Vendetta?  Even with its point increase 3 TL lascannons on a flyer makes for a good ranged tank hunter.  Put a melta special weapons squad or a melta squad of Scions in it to seal the deal.  Also gives you some handy anti-air at the same time.

At 24" range i've found that Pask in a punisher averages 3 glancing hits against av14 which i think is enough to glance most things to death. (Once you factor in prefered enemy, rerolling armour pens and rending). Perhaps i've just been lucky though :-)

Well, I was planning to try and not use any flyers in my guard army. I'm not big on flyers you see. Thats why I'm looking for other anti-tank. How does a unit of 3 Devil Dogs and two squads of 3 Lascannons, And maybe two Leman Russes sound for anti-tank duties? What is the best anti-tank Leman Russ by th way? The Vanquisher? (I think it was called.. Dont have the codex with me at the moment..)

Yeah, three firing at the same target would be OTT. All Hellhound variants are capable tanks so I'd always run them solo if possible as they'd get a lot more killing done that way.

Leman Russ tanks aren't dedicated AT platforms, at least not in the "true" sense - the exception being the Vanquisher which has some drawbacks as mentioned. That said, a couple of Demolishers will provide excellent fire power that will splat tanks and heavy infantry...

Archived