Thedukes vow 2 update 5-17...

Theduke08

I have heard some wisdom that black and white are actually the hardest to paint. 

Keeble has started a Carmine Blades army which features white DC, so take a look to see how you like their appearance:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/302195-carmine-blades-wip/

Black is interesting. You can either go warm with blue-ish highlights, or a colder grey highlight.

With my Chaplain, I went with the blue-grey highlights

(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/269697-xeniths-4th-company-librarian-dread-18jan15/?p=3863907)

Basically a broad highlight of...Fenris grey, then a finer edge highlight of space wolf grey. I would suggest hitting the recesses with a nuln oil wash, after a black undercoat, just to deepen the shadows.

Im about to start on some DC but have been kicking around the idea of doing them in a white/bone color, not for any real reason beyond the fact that I hate painting black. I can paint almost all colors to some level of efficiency but am plain terrible at painting black. Anyone have any advice on black?

Painting black isn't hard at all. I really think it's one of the easiest colors to do you just have to approach it differently. With black, less is more. If you add too many highlights it starts to look more like gray.

I start with Abaddon Black and edge highlight with Dawnstone. On the sharpest corners you can add a 75/25 mix of Dawnstone and Ulthuan Grey. No reason for a wash really as it won't really show anyway. If you don't want to mess around mixing colors you can use Skavenblight Dinge for the edge highlight and Dawnstone for the sharpest corners.

Here's my Death Company Stormraven which I'm currently doing like this.

StormravenDeathCompany.jpg

• 3 months later...

that "racing stripe" is "bloody" brilliant(see what I did there)

and I didn't see this in time or I would have suggested that you just excessively weather the DC, to where the normal colors are there.....just barely and make them pretty minimal with the armor flourishes.

I love the colour scheme, and your painting skill really does it justice.  I especially like the stripe running down the length of the Rhino.  It's not often that you see a secondary colour used in such a way, but it really works for you.  Are you planning on painting the rest of your vehicles the same way?

I love the colour scheme, and your painting skill really does it justice.  I especially like the stripe running down the length of the Rhino.  It's not often that you see a secondary colour used in such a way, but it really works for you.  Are you planning on painting the rest of your vehicles the same way?

Ive recently started working on some termies and am planning on painting up a crusader for them and there will definitely be a racing stripe on that monster. 

... I really need an airbrush.

Ive had one for a couple years and after the initial investment they will pay for themselves...  Never having to buy a can of primer again is worth it for me.  Plus there are just some effects that I could never achieve with a brush.

Archived