Sons of Malice

hushrong

“OUR LORD WALKS AMONGST US!”

The very words scrawled by blade on the walls of the corridors. This message, and many others, repeated themselves throughout many parts of the cursed ship. Carved in the high and low dialects of gothic he read the phrase. Alongside them were carved runes which he assumed shared the same message. The ramblings of heretics and heathens he immediately dismissed.

Gregor glided his large, armored gauntlet over the words as he marched toward the command bridge. He let the power field melt the message between his finger tips. In his other hand he kept his storm-bolter trained before him. He had little need of it thus far. Much of the ship was destroyed and entire segments had been opened to the void. All they had found so far were the floating corpses of mortal heretics carried afloat by the void. That concerned him more and more as he traveled deeper into the ship.

Suspended above a solitary moon the gutted warship, surrounded by debris, cried out into the void. A beacon screamed its location and begged for assistance. The Marines Exemplar had answered and found a ruined battle-barge of the Word Bearers, an old and hated foe. Alerts were raised and battle stations were manned against a dead husk. Then as their own ship sailed above the wreck boarding parties were sent aboard.

That was why Gregor’s concern kept nagging him. They walked amongst an ancient astartes warship yet no Word Bearers had been found, dead or alive. His squad, none of the other boarding squads, or their bands of roaming servo skulls had yet to find a single traitor astartes. Every corridor they traversed and each chambered they searched were followed with the monotonous phrase “no contacts” after scanning countless dead mortals. The amount of smaller craft and drop pods left aboard showed they went nowhere. “Perhaps they teleported off vessel” he pondered to himself.

Before he carried the thought further his squad came upon the bridge. A large opening had been melted where two blast doors had been shut. Without a word or command they formed up on their sergeant, with his shield raised and thunder hammer crackling into life. Then one by one they followed him into the breach.

There was nothing different here than the rest of the ship except it was a site of direct aggression. Consoles were smashed, melted, and blown away. Their inner mechanism floated about with the remains of the command crew. A servitor sparked as its form lurched over a console that continued to blink on and off. Another servitor, ripped from its service station floated into the sergeant’s path but with the push of his towering shield he sent the creature floating for the high, arched roof of the bridge.

Each of the Marines Exemplar terminators spread out, scanning the corpses and searching for the source of the beacon that continued to call out into the void. “They made an opening in the door and inserted charges that melted them wide open. Lobbed grenades in and entered after the detonations. Then massacred the command element and destroyed all the controls. They did not want the ship, whoever they were” commented the sergeant as he imagined the scene after viewing all the indicators familiar to an assault boarding veteran.

It was he who recognized the strange burns found in the navigator’s chambers. It was evidence of the few, rare after effects from teleportation. Something he had seen only three times in his centuries of service.

Gregor had to agree that the ship was not the prize. Nor were any of its massive compliments of arms. Armories for the most part were full, land vehicles were still chained to their loading docks, and ships remained docked in the hangar bay. Before his squad could report ‘no contacts’ a channel opened.

“All squads, this is Sergeant-Harmfir, converge on my coordinates. Source of beacon has been located” broadcasted to all Marines Exemplar on board. Gregor and his squad surveyed the dead command bridge before turning to stalk the corridors of the ship to link up with their brothers.

--

A grand hall, barely lit, was teeming with miniscule life in comparison to the scale it was meant to host. The boarding parties converged from their various locations to gather here. They left the remaining sectors for their servo skulls to survey. Squad Thesius’ found the origin of distress beacon they were sent to shut off in hopes of keeping other forces from hearing it. However, it was located in what was one of the largest segments of the ship, the chapel.

Outside the chapel was a massive hall, meant for several battle companies to gather before entering in their massive formations. In battle-barges of similar design much of this space would have been extra store rooms, armories, and cells but had been greatly converted when in service of the damned Word Bearers Legion. Worship and all of its displays were critical to their culture and it was in this hall all astartes assembled for inspection and pre-sermon blessings.

Here, five squads of Marines Exemplar assembled before entering the chapel. The chapel itself, from various scans, was even more massive with it large, cathedral ceilings supported by massive columns. It would require all present aboard the traitor ship to search it and any Word Bearer survivors could be waiting within.

“No life signs but do not drop your guards” ordered the Sergeant Bramfir of Squad Thesius, holding his own towering shield and thunder hammer. “All our techmarine could determine is that the beacon is behind those doors but nothing else. Regardless, heretics and traitors could be behind those doors, show no mercy.”

Gregor looked at the assembled terminators and power armored marines present. Forty in total prepared for whatever could be behind those doors. He and nine others in their large, tank-like armor would lead from the front if an ambush was waiting for them. Gregor clenched and unclenched his power fist and let lightning cackle from its power field. Then he tested the link between his storm-bolters optic sight and his helm. In his view he saw the techmarine coerce the machines that kept the chapels doors locked.

The doors were something he avoided looking at. They were built large to allow squads to march in with parade ground formations and tall enough that the smaller breeds of titans could stalk through. Upon their massive frames was an abstract design that screamed of something unnatural and twisted. Made of gold, silver, and adamantium designs of warped shapes emerged out from the corners coiling amongst them.

Each corner took on a different form and exuded a different inspiration. Hands and claws reached out from the wrapped coils. Faces appeared to be pressing out from the shapes, some in ecstasy, other in pain, and some wracked with insanity. To look upon them was nauseating even to an astartes as him. All these shapes grasped a single figure split between the two doors. A naked man barely clothed in rags stretched out in agony. The shapes grabbed him, dug into him, and were the cause of great pain expressed by the hollowed eyed face of the sculpted man.

Gregor wished whoever had attacked this ship would have melted this door as well. Its existence repulsed him as much as the existence of traitors. As he thought of the door he looked upon it again as he heard cogs in motion. The door was opening.

Squad Thesius’ Sergeant formed the spear point as three other terminators formed up to make a wall with their large shields. Gregor and the others followed on their flanks as the rest of the Marines Exemplars charged forward.

“For the Emperor” shouted the Bramfir, raising his crackling thunder hammer high. Those following his charge roared in approval and repeated the venerated chant as they entered the opening chapel doors. The Techmarine, in his red armor and black helm followed suit, his staff and bolter ready as his mechantendrils wrapped around his armor for added protection.

Each magnetized stomp on the metal rang out hollow in the void filled chapel and bits of stone and tile crumbled under the heavy steps. Their slow charge into darkness was met with a strange mist spewing outward obscuring everything below the knees. They pressed onward before coming to a halt to find the Word Bearers waiting for them.

--

Some floated, anchored by the chains they were hung from. Many were impaled upon spikes on the chapel’s columns and banner poles. Many merely drifted throughout the entirety of the chapel. All were dead and gathered here to be left on display.

The machine spirit of Gregor’s armor began to count all the targets, scanning the Word Bearers by their own armor. In their blunted charge his armor counter had already scanned sixty-seven torso armor segments and the number continued to climb.

“By the Emperor” exclaimed one marine of Squad Fidelus.

“Forward, brothers” ordered Sergeant Bramfir. “If your scan reads a heartbeat other than ours end it!” he commanded as the boarding party moved forward as one.

Dead eyes watched them as they came closer to what the traitors used as an altar, here the beacon’s signal emanated. Nothing lived. Many of the Word Bearers were cut to pieces with limbs missing. Many others suffered boltgun rounds that shattered there adamantium armor. Was there infighting? Many of the marines wondered. These were a treacherous lot and the cold murder of one’s own brother was nothing below them.

Two Hundred and twenty nine was the number his counter had reached. Gregor could not believe that many were left here, slain. Ancient power armor and marks of terminator armor discarded with their charges still in them. Some still grasped their weapons while others went without. Many were merely ripped open and gorged upon. Many of the walls and columns carried the same message he had read throughout the ship of some heretical lord amongst them. “What could have caused such an act?” Gregor though. He did not pity the traitors strewn and floating about him but became curious of what force caused this.

After finding the beacon several of the Marines Exemplars searched and closely examined the dead. The sheer savagery and carnage visited upon the traitors was otherworldly. Perhaps the denizens of the warps fell upon them. With these discoveries they attempted to hail their own ship but each attempt failed. They suspected it was from proximity to the beacon, drowning out their own vox channels. Two marines were sent out of the chapel to establish communication but had not been heard from for several minutes. Even short range vox signals were affected. The two terminator sergeants agreed the boarding parties would disable the beacon and leave the ship to report back to their captain.

However, none had paid heed to the techmarine as he set about disabling the beacon. Even the three marines watching over him paid little attention, too busy watching the floating, lifeless traitors. They could not tell that what remained of the revered machine-priest was not the warrior they entered the ship with. He had read the words on the control screen, stared at the runes that flashed on and off. Reading the incantations of his lips surrendered his spirit and body. Whatever form of sorcery and witchcraft was used it was potent.

Under his black helm his eyes rolled back and wept bloody tears. He foamed at the mouth and struggled to breathe through the tubing in his nostrils. Something possessed him and he vainly tried to resist. His fingers danced across the beacons control screen until the entire thing flashed red. Within the ships holds, several armored storage units opened and their contents exploded. In a matter of seconds entire sections of the ship were covered in the life eating virus used to wipe worlds clean of biology. Even the cold corpses of the damned crew were consumed as the toxin even spread out into the open void through openings of the ship.

Gregor looked to the massive doors of the chapel as his armor began to warn of him of the chemical threat. His scanner registered two more lifeless sets of armor as two Marine Exemplar vitals went flat. He could see it, something in the void, parting the misty fog covering the floor of the chapel and an instant later it bombarded his armor and his rebreather. He began to choke as he collapsed desperately trying to breathe. The number of dead marines on his scanner rose as the boarding party’s life signals began to red line.

--

Seconds passed and another signal was sent from the beacon. A high pitched screech that called out into the warp which caused rigged munitions to exploded. The spark of orbital bombardment weapons combined with the deadly vapors of the life eater virus turned the Word Bearers battle barge into a massive bomb. The detonation and ensuing explosion sent massive chucks of debris in all directions. Some would travel the void for eternity, large swatches of the moon below would be scarred from it, and the Marines Exemplar warship crippled by it.

And answering the death call, another warship came screaming out of a warp hole torn into reality. Then another vessel tore into the material realm, and then another. They came hungry for fresh prey that had fallen victim to their trap. 

----

Howdy, folks! Hope you enjoyed a bit of fluff and the rest of the post with some pictures and other words.

Well, my group is restarting 40k and I am still sticking with Chaos as my main force. I want to retry to building up my Sons of Malice with new minis and a better story. Here goes it:

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/image_zps620ec727.jpg

These are the minis I built and actually got a decent amount of paint on before this army dropped off the face of the universe. I really do not remember why I stopped working on them but I am going to try and resurrect them here.

There was also this guy. He was done just for fun.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/image_zps5568634d.jpg

Anyways, these guys are sitting on my desk next to Alpha Legion Bob while I started working on their new brethren.

This is the start of a Chaos Marine Squad

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/image_zps212e4211.jpg

Then their brothers in arm. These are going to be known as the Bound, marines who are fused with the warp-dwelling spirits of slain Sons of Malice. More fluff to come on them later but their fusion is the reason for mutation.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/image_zps2936e29d.jpg

I still have several marines to build for my 1000 point army which I pretty much knicked from Brother Heinrich's Night Lords, whose force is a major source of inspiration for myself among so many other great project logs. Well, time to build some more marines and read about what's new with 7th edition.

Thank for taking a look and toodles! 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, gang!

I did have more fluff I wanted to post but reading over it again has made me want to rewrite it. So I should have more fluffiness to offer up soon. However, I do have this:

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/image_zpse9c04786.jpg

This is the start of my Sons of Malice War Chieftain, Gore-Maw. Pretty much trying to copy from here and here badly after remembering those awesome bare-headed, teeth grinning Tyberos the Red Wake conversions. despite thinking that a lack of a helm is a weakness I want to go this route as I cannot think of a helmet that I would like to use.

What I  like is that his jaw is too wide open. Just like the victims from the Mummy movie with the encino man or a serpent devouring something. It's creepy and with gore I think it will look nice because he is a messy eater. Yes he is. What I do not like is that my glue melted the upper set of teeth so I will try to add GS and see if that helps OR I will have to find another bare CSM Termie Lord head and make another.

Anyways, back to tinkering and debating if I want to get them new bases for my Sons. Thanks for stopping by.

There was also this guy. He was done just for fun.

Was admiring your minis when I saw this.

THE GAME IS AFOOT!

TRAMPLE THE WEAK HURDLE THE DEAD!

Don't think I missed that. It's on now, son!

Great mini's, fella!

Now two Marines Malevolents noticed that, eh? Well, two versus one? I like the odds as there are more things to swing at! happy.png

Thanks, Pearson73

---

Still working on my Sons fluff and their ranks so I have this to offer up in compensation:

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4a14e5c5.jpg

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf9fb5e0d.jpg

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps27e5e3d2.jpg

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps604cfc4d.jpg

Cool beans Hushrong. I've been a Malice enthousiast for a long while. That's what led me to the Labyrinth and made me play Sons of Malice for a while (got back to Black Legion, because Black Legion).

You should totally try to bring us a Malice mini. Count as Daemon Prince or something.

You should totally try to bring us a Malice mini. Count as Daemon Prince or something.

I actually want to do that but debate on the presentation of such a character. When I think of how I would like to model Malal I think of a hooded figure in tainted power armor marching into battle. Behind him the Sons of Malice follow but surrounding this single figure comes a group of massive daemon princes, his new Doomed Ones. The first thing the enemy will see is this lone figure and his monsters leading way out in the front of a horde of quartered black and white astartes.

This is highly inspired by an manga/anime of all things called Claymore. A few years ago they had a scene where this army of monsters were marching into battle. The defenders of this town could sense them coming and the world shook beneath their feet with every step while they roared into the night. Each of these monsters were taller than the huge trees around them and each was a hideous killing machine. At the front was one of their leaders who stayed in human form but still gave off an aura of supreme power. That is what I want...I just don't know how to really execute it haha. As for rules I think it would be fair to give him one equivalent to a Warlord Titan :)

And a bit of progress has been made thanks to the arrival of some bitz and after awakening from a food coma with new found energy:

---

Gore-Maw, War Chieftain of the Sons of Malice, is a warrior not born of Scelus. None of the chapter’s warriors speak of his origins and they are barely known even to him. Decades ago the Voices in the Shadows whispered and spoke of a new herald of Malal, a creature and a beast reborn of hatred and violence. The Voices commanded the Sons of Malice aboard the Screaming of Monarchs to sail to a world ravaged by war.

On the border of the system they followed the commands of the Voices. Only a handful of their greatest veteran warriors were chosen and in a storm eagle their hunting pack made way for a burning world. Among debris of destroyed warships they flew to the chosen world. On the blighted surface hives were ravaged by fire and smoke rose into orbit. Battles roared and warriors died in droves. With cunning and skill the lone craft’s pilot entered the atmosphere and landed. The Sons exited the ships ramps to set forth seeking their new herald.

Like silent predators they stalked through the ruins. Moving only under the sound of artillery they scurried from cover to cover. They observed formations of soldiers and armor while going undetected. Many times, with blades in hand, they removed unsuspecting prey that hindered their progress. The Sorcerer Raspf, communing with the Voices, would lead them to their prize.

What they came upon was a scene of carnal violence. Broken bodies torn limb from limb laid scattered about. Weapons, shattered and gore encrusted littered the site. Amongst it all was a corpse surrounded by dissected and mangled victims. It was the lifeless body of the one they sought.

Its armor was a mess of ruination. Projectiles shredded away the outer layers and gouges from bladed weapons had been stained with thickened blood. The flesh of the warrior was pale, dried, and ashen. Along his throat a crimson slash was cut wide open. This one had slaughtered despite his wounds that his surviving enemies had sliced his throat to make certain he was dead.

This was of no concern to the Sons of Malice.

Their chosen encircled the massacre site with bolters and blades at the ready as a war continued to wage about them. Under the thunderous cacophony of artillery and the cry of battle their sorcerer went about his forbidden arts.

Beseeching their patron god and performing crafts banned as heresy and abominations the corpse’s eyes opened. It began to live once more. Wounds sealed, blood flowed, and an aberration against life rose. Its cold white eyes turned black while its pupils burned with raging violet and it drew breath. Still encased in its ruined armor it lifted itself to its feet. Leaning its head back the vertebrae in the neck popped and his jaw unhinged inhumanely open to roar above the war surrounding him.

Gore-Maw, War Chieftain, had been reborn a son of hatred and malice.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/image_zps2219af0e.jpg

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/image_zpsfd149815.jpg

COOL BEANS!!!!!!

Thanks bud!

Nice work on that head, very twisted.

A suggestion when you paint the bound rotate your scheme just a little so its off by 5 degree angle to add to the warp fused look.

I look forward to seeing more.

Thank you but I really just took the idea from other guys and their take on Tyberos. I am really against building without a helm but I just couldn't think of anything unique enough for my new lord. I do like the horned helmet from the TDA Lord box but I have already used it in the past and I didn't want to do another skull one either.

As for painting, it's going to be tough for me just to paint haha. I haven't really painted a good thing in a long time so there is going to be a lot of trial and error but I like the suggestion!

Looking forward to where you take the boss man, he's looking vicious already. 

Thanks! He will have the Black Mace and Burning Brand for sure. I really want to use the arms of the new BA TDA Librarian. I like that axe and I want that bare open handed arm with a flamer attached a la Lugft Huron with his old TDA. I just need to figure out the bits and posing.

I may also model something that could be used as the Aura or Sigil if need be as well if not just for looks. Still brainstorming on what that could be.

I think axe and underslung flamer would be a good combo for him.

The aura/sigil could be an iron halo? Along the lines that once it stood for the Imperium and protection against its foes, but now it is a symbol of fear associated with Gore-Maw, the only thing that hints at his former past but which has been warped and corrupted into something that promises destruction instead of protection.

Could stick just about anything on him really, but it'd have to match up bits wise.

• 2 weeks later...

The aura/sigil could be an iron halo? Along the lines that once it stood for the Imperium and protection against its foes, but now it is a symbol of fear associated with Gore-Maw, the only thing that hints at his former past but which has been warped and corrupted into something that promises destruction instead of protection.

Could stick just about anything on him really, but it'd have to match up 

Yeah, I've been browsing through a lot of the games workshop and forge worlds kits. That and just googling images of Chaos Lord kitbashes and conversions. I am still set on using the arms or at least the weapons from the new BA Terminator Librarian. I'm just holding off as I think $30 for a model is a bit much. It's just a matter of time though.

In the mean time I made this guy:

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdafb4e9d.jpg

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps821c258f.jpg

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps577ad78b.jpg

This will be the Warsmith of my upcoming Zone Mortalis army which may get its own thread sooner or later. Right now I just have that bare head sitting in there as I cannot think of what head or helmet to use for him. I even tried a non terminator helmet just for kicks, seen below:

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps92634404.jpg

I'm afraid I will be saving that helmet for a Raptor however.

Also, I tried making another unhinged-jaw head.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps326b8d64.jpg

The reason being is that the original one (on the right) has a Jay Leno chin and it gets in the way of the terminator's collar/gorget. However, my second attempt was sloppier and will need more touching up.

Lastly, I made a power sword and I am debating about arming one of my sons with it.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0604992f.jpg

Right now I am waiting for a bitz order to show up in a week or so. In that time I am thinking of how I'm going to build up more of the army and what I will be doing for Gore-Maw. Building that Warsmith was a nice mental exercise as I think I want to aim for a look that is very menacing and bestial. I always like to think of the Sons of Malice as barbarous and I want that to show.

Thanks for stopping by!

Could stick just about anything on him really, but it'd have to match up 

Yeah, I've been browsing through a lot of the games workshop and forge worlds kits. That and just googling images of Chaos Lord kitbashes and conversions. I am still set on using the arms or at least the weapons from the new BA Terminator Librarian. I'm just holding off as I think $30 for a model is a bit much. It's just a matter of time though.

In the mean time I made this guy:

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdafb4e9d.jpg

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps821c258f.jpg

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps577ad78b.jpg

This will be the Warsmith of my upcoming Zone Mortalis army which may get its own thread sooner or later. Right now I just have that bare head sitting in there as I cannot think of what head or helmet to use for him. I even tried a non terminator helmet just for kicks, seen below:

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps92634404.jpg

I'm afraid I will be saving that helmet for a Raptor however.

Also, I tried making another unhinged-jaw head.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps326b8d64.jpg

The reason being is that the original one (on the right) has a Jay Leno chin and it gets in the way of the terminator's collar/gorget. However, my second attempt was sloppier and will need more touching up.

Lastly, I made a power sword and I am debating about arming one of my sons with it.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0604992f.jpg

Right now I am waiting for a bitz order to show up in a week or so. In that time I am thinking of how I'm going to build up more of the army and what I will be doing for Gore-Maw. Building that Warsmith was a nice mental exercise as I think I want to aim for a look that is very menacing and bestial. I always like to think of the Sons of Malice as barbarous and I want that to show.

Thanks for stopping by!

To be honest, as much as I love the axe on the warpsmith, I personally like the sword better. It really flows with the model as is. 

Thanks for dropping a line folks!

To be honest, as much as I love the axe on the warpsmith, I personally like the sword better. It really flows with the model as is.

I thought I should have used the sword on the Warsmith too and save that axe for Gore-Maw or one of his bodyguards. However, I think that big, heavy weapon with its more mechanical look was more fitting for an Iron Warrior. What I really want to try now, after thinkng about it these last few hours, is make a possessed-looking axe for my Sons of Malice leader. Something of a look-alike to the Dread Axe of Kaleb Daark.

Awesome!!!!

2 Questions: Where is the head and the Cape from? Need them msn-wink.gif

The bare heads are a mix of the CSM Terminator Lord's snarling, bare head and a possessed marine's head. I just removed everything below the nose on the termies head and cut away the mouth and trim till it fits snug.

The cape is from Lord Zhufor.

I hope that helps :)

I absolutely LOVE the momentum you've given him, and the conversions/kitbashes/what-have-you are great!

If i may be so bold though, you say that he is a warsmith, yes? well, then i believe that he is in need of some sort of demonic mechanical arms and servos to help push the idea that he's in charge of mechanics. So far as a head, the Zhufor terminator helm (nix the Khorne icon) would look great here, and help with the barbaristic theme too:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/large/Zhufor13.jpg

Just my little input, keep up the great work! biggrin.png

Wow, that Terminator Lord is crazy awesome.

My vote is for the giant axe if you're still pondering. The sword has a bit too much of a delicate air about it for an otherwise hulking warsmith. I can see him putting that axe straight through the front glacis of a tank. Not so much the long blade.

Archived