Battle Report: 2v2!

Jack Burton

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, talkin to whoever's listening out there.

My mates and I just played a 2v2 game of 40K; me with 1K of Sisters and my brother in law with 1K of Guard against two friends with 1K of Tyranids and 1K of Chaos Marines.  We're all veterans from 3rd edition, and our armies lack some of the new toys of the past few years, but so far I'm darn impressed with how well the girls do nowadays.

The lists are (to my best recollection):

Imperial Forces:

1000 points Sisters of Battle

• St. Celestine (Warlord)
  • 4 Priests
  • 2 X Battle Sister Infantry blob, with flamer/hvy flamer
  • Dominions with 4 melta in MM Immo
  • Exorcist

1000 Points Guard

• Command Squad with plasma
  • Primaris Psyker with Divination
  • Veterans in Chimera with Plasma
  • Veterans in Chimera with Flamers and Hv Flamer
  • Manticore
  • Leman Russ Demolisher

Heretics, Mutants, and Aliens:

1000 Points Chaos Marines

• Blob of fanatics with Autoguns
  • Blob of fanatics with Autopistol/CCW
  • Chaos Marines with Plasma Guns
  • Chaos Marines with Power Fist Champ
  • Havocs with Lascannons
  • Chaos Lord of Khorne with Ultra Killy Sword

1000 Points Tyranids

• Tyranid Prime
  • Tervigon
  • Huge blob of guants with lots of S4 shooty
  • Another huge blob of gaunts with lots of S4 shooty
  • Small gargoyle squad
  • Big squad of Hormagaunts
  • Hive Guard with big S8 gun

So those are the lists.  They won first deployment and first turn, so we saw all that infantry.  Damn, that's a lot of wounds!  We were playing on a big trench board, so cover for infantry was abundant, though vehicles and Monstrous Creatures were pretty open.  Well, we couldn't despair, since we had a heck of a lot of bolters and flamers, so the girls packed up some extra ammunition and jumped onto the board.

Deploying second was probably great for us; we got to see their placement: all those gaunts on one flank, the chaos fanatics on the other and chaos marines behind the fanatics.  Well, the girls came down opposite those gaunts with the Primaris along for support and Flamer Vets close by.  The rest of the Guard lined up opposite Chaos, hoping those big blasts would do serious damage.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b595/curtdecaro/20141123_130137_zps0262312c.jpg

::::::::::Heretic and Alien turn 1 was uneventful, except for the Havocs immobilizing the Flamer Vet Chimera.  We figure walking flamer vets probably won't last too long in this fight.  Nids swarm forward and Chaos struggles to move through difficult terrain.

::::::::::Imperial turn 1: girls move forward into a line of trenches and fire bolters at the forward hormagaunts.  Seems the nids were too aggressive, lots of girls are in rapid fire range.  The primaris rolls two 4's and two 6's on Prescience, but only suffers one wound.  Between prescience and rapid fire the hormagaunts go down hard.  Other sisters shoot a few gaunts dead, the Manticore puts big holes into blobs of more gaunts, and the demolisher moves up to put pressure on slow moving Chaos.  Veterans scoot forward and take long range shots, downing a few Chaos models.  Exorcist rolls 1 missile and whiffs.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b595/curtdecaro/20141123_141106_zps984017d0.jpg

::::::::::Heretic turn 2: Gaunts surge forward and unleash tons of S4 shooting into the girls.  Celestine's squad weathers the storm and loses only 2 or 3.  Non-Celestine squad put their armor on wrong this morning and loses 13 out of 18 girls to something like 25 pre-save wounds between the gaunts and pot-shotting fanatics. Lascannons totally whiff (yay).  Chaos Marines with the Lord keep on comin, got their sights set on that Demolisher.

::::::::::Imperial Turn 2: Girls decide they can take the gargoyles and hormagaunts in combat and focus fire on the shooty ones, killing a little more than half the squad.  Guard finishes off the autopistol fanatics.  The demolisher and manticore keep flinging pie plates, killing more infantry.  They don't really have very good targets this game though.  Dominions come scouting in right where we need them, and unload Melta into the tervigon, stripping it down to two remaining wounds.  The sergeant's bolter miraculously scores one wound, which the bug fails to save.  A multilaser puts the last wound on, which it also fails to save and the big boy goes boom.  Exorcist flings 6 missiles into Chaos Marines, killing a few.  Good turn for Imperials, and we're denying Hold the Line to the Heretics now as well.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b595/curtdecaro/20141123_143959_zpsa6cb4bde.jpg

::::::::::Heretic Turn 3:  Make-or-break turn for the bad boys, with a lot of units in assault range.  Lascannons keep doing a fat lot of nothing, but the Killy Lord and his squad wreck the Demolisher in combat.  Gargoyles and Hormagaunts assault Celestine's squad after doing a few more wounds in shooting.  The girls slay all 8 gargoyles with Wall of Fiery Death, and the Prime and his hormagaunts assault into the trench.  Priests pray for rerolls to wound and reroll armor saves and thanks for Warlord Celetine make them both.  One priest lets Zealot get the best of him and challenges the Prime, which he of course accepts.  Girls go first since Nids havent developed grenade-like biotech and kill all but 4.  The priest, with the Emperor's Own Luck makes all his 4++ and survives the challenge.  The whole squad hits and runs out of combat.  Things look bad for the bad guys.

::::::::::Imperial Turn 3: Almost every nid left on the table is sent to the Hell of Being Shot to Pieces.  At the end of the turn there are a couple hormagaunts and a couple shooty gaunts left.  The chaos fanatics are also just about dead, but most of the Marines are still around.

At this point the rest of the game is a scramble by the Imperials to pick up as many tactical objectives as we could, since the Heretics got ahead early in VPs.  Notable highlights include: St Celestine takes a lascannon to the face and fails her get-up roll.  Killy Lord get hit by 5 out of 6 exorcist missiles and makes all five 4++ saves, only to die next turn to the same volley.  The Lord does lop the head off the Company Commander before he goes down though so nobody has any warlords left at the end.  Game ends with a single Chaos marine left on the table, and the Imperials up 10 VPs to 7.

Lasting Impressions:

• Really impressed with the blobs of sisters.  Sisters have been afraid of close combat for so long, it's a Christmas Miracle to see them doing well.  Two priests in a unit along with Celestine or the Litanies of Faith make them a real force.
  • Celestine is a can't-miss in this edition.  Is there anything she doesn't bring to the girls?  Ld for priests, hit and run, a real CC threat, and another heavy flamer.  This girl is a winner winner chicken dinner.
  • I thought that Sisters didn't look too impressive on paper, but the army components support each other so well.  Could it be that the author actually knew what he was doing?  I still think NO, because Celestians, Penitent Engines, and No Jump Pack Canoness.

You guys just remember what the Sisters of Battle do when the earth quakes, the poison arrows rain from the sky, and the pillars of heaven shake.  Yeah, the Sisters of Battle just look that big ol storm straight in the eye and say "Give me your best shot, pal.  I can take it."

People always underestimate us, heh. Cheesiest List competition and I posted a list, and the immediate response was, 'They're looking for cheesy lists', sarcastically, just because it was a Sisters list. That won the competition, because there was nothing else proposed that it couldn't steamroll with that much S8 AP1.

Good battle. I would have probably not used Celestine as you did, but I don't usually run her in any case. ^^;

Miko, how do you typically use Celestine? I'm thinking I should have her in front of the squad next time to use that 2+ save.

It seems that it will be tough to keep a significant part of the army out of bolter range, although not out of rapid fire range. Although, that is why we had mechanized veterans. They should have been good at chasing down faster units but we didn't need to do that this game .

I typically use Celestine as a shelf ornament. ^^;

I converted her into Ephrael Stern, she's very pretty.

When I do use her, I deep strike her in opposite my Seraphim for some threat saturation. Do they kill Celestine, who is nasty but will get back up (and is shockingly durable) or do they try and kill the Seraphim?

Yeah, the girls really were spoiled for choice here.  Our opponents did know that we were playing on a trench board and that we were bringing Sisters.  Since sisters have a reputation for being really, really good at massacring lightly armored infantry, their choice of army list seems weird.

I mean, who tries to overwhelm Sisters with hordes of T3 6+ saves?  And I didn't even have seraphim with double 2X hand flamers this game.

I guess someone who goes for the fun more than for the winning. And you have to admit, did you all feel suitably epic holding the line against a storm of enemies flooding your way?

Yeah, I was being half facetious there. Their strategy really came close to working; end of turn 2 it looked like we were just not going to have enough to hold them back. The light of the emperor came through in turn 3 and turned it for us.

Our group likes narrative games but every one of us has our competitive streak too :)

Well it's a little unfair to say we had no terrain on the table. There were four trenches lengthwise across, lines of razor wire, and tank traps.

That being said, yes it was deliberate to have no LoS blocking terrain on the table. That was a game parameter all players knew about beforehand to accommodate for. We wanted to represent a WW1 style battlefield.

I guess someone who goes for the fun more than for the winning. And you have to admit, did you all feel suitably epic holding the line against a storm of enemies flooding your way?

Unsurprising. He brought a Tyranid horde army (considered laughable in and of itself in competitive circles) against one of the greatest forces for allocating anti-Tyranid weaponry across the board with no cover to hide his gribblies or break LoS. The Sisters also then deployed across from him. That was never going to end well.

I'm not entirely certain why people underestimate the Sisters of Battle. Their ability to spam Flamers and Meltas on top of the Bolter being their standard firearm allows them to hit a variety of unit types and compositions competently (or better). At least, theoretically. If it wasn't obvious, I haven't fought this army (yet).

Archived