So what is it we are trying to do exactly? Do a 1st ed army using current rules, but only using units/tech and the visual style of Rogue Trader?

I'd worry about squats if and when somebody actually shows interest, no point in causing more work when it might be un-needed. 

I'll have a think on the beastmen tonight and see f I can come up with some ideas

squats will have to be a conversion heavy army. just use IG (or whatever they're called now) rules.

Bikes, Trikes and Exo Armour?

Oh my!

This sounds cool. I didn't actually get into the hobby until 1999 but my dad had a load of GW books and odd bits (WHFB top trump cards anyone?) from circa 1990 that I used to look at as a kid without thinking much beyond "whoa, goblins!". Actually I got into the game because I spied a space marine on the front cover of WD in a newsagents and recognised it from all that time ago.

As such I do have a bit of a love for the oddity of the Rogue Trader years both the good and the bad (Hey remember suicide bombers? Wait where are you going...)

You've got me watching, at least.

I remember a while back (last year?) someone started a project thread for scratchbuilding old RT vehicles (stegatank, orgus flyer, etc).

Will have to do a search for it.

Was that you, Furioso?

Edit: I wonder if someone could make a file (for printing as decals) of the weapon icons for marine shoulder pads. I freehanded some bolter ones in the past and it was a nightmare.

You've got me watching, at least.

I remember a while back (last year?) someone started a project thread for scratchbuilding old RT vehicles (stegatank, orgus flyer, etc).

Will have to do a search for it.

Was that you, Furioso?

Somewhere I have got the templates for 1st ed tanks, could knock up some Mk1 landraiders. I might even use some of my old 1st ed rhinos and give my chaos marines new ones. 

Just had a search. White Dwarf 144 (UK edition). Not sure if they got put in the compendium (? Book with Blood Angels/'Stealers on cover) as well...

Those templates and decal are a great idea.

I was going to do a challenge type thing, but this might be bigger than that. So anything pre 2nd ed is all good. Even (ugh) mk7 armour. I would just love to keep it beakie, but hey, this is not my show. It's our hobby, and I am not about to tell anyone how to be creative.

So I'm hunting on ebay going to score some awesome retro bitz for this

In the middle of negotiations with my mate for RTB01 beakies, considering we have been mates since 1996 he is really stubborn with the price -.- do I really need sixty of them though?

K so now I'll repost what I typed on my phone last night that never worked and ended up in getting me a rage warning (BTW Miko I found the child comment kinda Insulting, your still a juve in my eyes :D and I never intended to dodge the swear filter, I just rage typed on my phone and as far as I was aware I spelt things the same as I do when the filter kicks in, but I gather something got past so I shall take my punishment like the Templars took their new Codex ;) )

Comparing the Compendium list to current C:SM virtually 99% is the same for equipment etc. The killer Power Fist/Plasma Pistols of doom Assault squads were a 2nd ed thing. Grav guns were a Tactical Squad special weapon option, scouts were a WD thing (yet to track down the issue they were in, I remember it being an article with them and Eldar scouts as well). 

The main differences at a quick glance is conversion beamers for Tact and Dev squads heavy weapons, jump packs for Tact and Dev squads and funky missiles like anti plant, tanglefoot etc. Assault Squad options were Plasma Pistol and Hand Flamer for two of the (non sgt) marines, can change them for power weapons. 

I dont mind breaking down the old army lists unit for unit and comparing changes to current ones for people who dont have access to the old lists for any newer players if they want me to. When I have done that I will do it for Chaos as well (I'm gonna do that regardless of interest from other people, gotta love my chaos :tu: ).

Another thing that has just come to me, Space Wolves had a WD list just before 2nd hit (Warhammer Armies Orc (Boarboy rider) Cover Issue ?) and it introduced Blood Claws, Grey Hunters, Long Fangs, Ragnar etc. Question is though, should we let this slip in as it was blatantly developed with 2nd ed in mind? Brings us back to the Mk7 thing, IMHO Mk7 was introduced early enough to be a pure RT thing regardless of what others think, but the Space Wolves list was (Roughly a month or two at a guess) just before they pulled RT from the shelves. 

See why I raged after typing that out on my damn phone and the post didnt go through lol... 

Wow 555 views in only 2 days, this thread is more popular than 'The Only way is Essex' (for non UK residents watch an episode online, I swear you will love it ;) :tu: )

Don't do it. That way leads to madness and huge drops in IQ.

And I match your army with one assassin ;)

Think I still have my RT book somewhere. And a few RTB01 marines.

Wow 555 views in only 2 days, this thread is more popular than 'The Only way is Essex' (for non UK residents watch an episode online, I swear you will love it msn-wink.gifthumbsup.gif )

Don't do it. That way leads to madness and huge drops in IQ.

And I match your army with one assassin msn-wink.gif

Think I still have my RT book somewhere. And a few RTB01 marines.

Getcha finger out then and get cracking.

Gonna build some old school scenery as well, get a little oldskool flava goin on me games table :tu:

Pffft, just paint the Assassin, tbh I don't think any of us know exactly where this is going. You don't even have to paint it well, Rogue Trader stuff looked bad compared to the Fantasy stuff from the same era. 

So I'm hunting on ebay going to score some awesome retro bitz for this

In the middle of negotiations with my mate for RTB01 beakies, considering we have been mates since 1996 he is really stubborn with the price -.- do I really need sixty of them though?

You can never have too many RTB01's wub.png

Dark Master - lovely DA squad wub.png

Archived