Ultramarine Authors and HH Series

Prot

First off, does anyone know if the HH storyline is going to feature anymore Ultramarine novels? I kind of thought with Unremembered Empire (which I thoroughly enjoyed) it would kick start something, but that doesn't appeared to have happened.

Secondly, who's your favorite Ultramarine author?  I have to be honest, Nick Kyme has been winning me over with Censure, and now I'm just discovering the Damnos stuff, and am really enjoying his take on Chronos and Necrons as well.

The Audio drama for Censure is probably one of my favorite Ultra pieces. The Ultra stuff I have read from Graham Mcneil is surprisingly my least favorite Graham stuff. (still love his IW though... and Vengeful Spirit).

So who is your favorite Ultramarines author? Is there anything in the works (HH or otherwise) that you're looking forward to?

Abnett has another Imperium Secundus novel planned, but he also has at least two other series in need of sequels. I have seen the order of release listed here, but I don't remember what the order was or how accurate it is.

I think the Ghosts book is next, in 2015. Then the HH novel, followed by the Bequin book. But not really sure.

I think he has a Dark Angels book planned too, but that might be the Imperium Secundus one.

I very much like Abnett's and McNeill's Heresy Ultramarines - oddly, the latter I feel captures them better within a Heresy setting than within the Ventris series. 

Wasn't particularly enamored with Kyme's portrayal in Damnos - it wasn't bad, but I didn't feel as though the characterisation was as strong as the above authors within the HH series.

The next audio drama featuring Aeonid Thiel is called Red Marked, featuring him and his volunteers as they go to Five Hundred Worlds to save it.

If this is true, very cool. If this is a tease... not funny!

Is this a Nick Kyme effort? I hope so.

Ultramarines in the Heresy. So far we have:

Battle For the Abyss (Ben Counter)

Know No Fear (Dan Abnett)

Macragge's Honour [graphic novel] (Dan Abnett)

Calth That Was (Graham McNeill)

A Deeper Darkness (Rob Sanders)

Censure (Nick Kyme)

Rules of Engagement (Graham McNeill)

The Unremembered Empire (Dan Abnett)

The Laurel of Defiance (Guy Haley)

There are also other appearances of them in:

The First Heretic (Aaron Dembski-Bowden)

Honour to the Dead (Gav Thorpe)

Garro: Oath of Moment (James Swallow)

The Traveller (David Annandale)

Betrayer (Aaron Dembski-Bowden)

The Purge (Anthony Reynolds)

The Iron Within (Rob Sanders)

Vengeful Spirit (Graham McNeill)

And I've enjoyed most of their major appearances. My favourite was definitely Know No Fear, it's one of the best novels in the HH series IMO, and a perfect example of how to do a story of a massed engagement. Great pacing and Dan really gives the Ultramarines a strong character, especially impressive considering they're so often seen as "vanilla" marines. If you're keen on the Ultras and haven't read that yet, you're definitely missing out. Unremembered Empire I wasn't a fan of, but that was mainly due to the structure and pacing more than bad portrayal of the Ultras. A Deeper Darkness I didn't like, but I'm not a fan of Rob Sanders writing generally. Battle For the Abyss was just a poor novel. The rest of that top list I've enjoyed to at least a decent extent. Abnett is my favourite for Ultramarines, since he did so well with them in KNF.

It's been announced that there's definitely more to come for Imperium Secundus, including a follow-up novel (which will indeed be Dan Abnett and will focus on the Lion and the Dark Angels, but I'm sure there will be some Ultras in there too) and a short story anthology (which again will presumably have some Ultramarine material). Maybe more too.

Red-Marked is by Nick Kyme. Not sure if it was officially confirmed to be more of Thiel, but even if not it's a fair assumption considering the title and Censure.

So yeah, not sure about whether there will actually be any more Ultramarines novels, but there's definitely more of them to come within the Imperium Secundus thread.

• 1 month later...

Ultramarines in the Heresy. So far we have:

Battle For the Abyss (Ben Counter)

Know No Fear (Dan Abnett)

Macragge's Honour [graphic novel] (Dan Abnett)

Calth That Was (Graham McNeill)

A Deeper Darkness (Rob Sanders)

Censure (Nick Kyme)

Rules of Engagement (Graham McNeill)

The Unremembered Empire (Dan Abnett)

The Laurel of Defiance (Guy Haley)

There are also other appearances of them in:

The First Heretic (Aaron Dembski-Bowden)

Honour to the Dead (Gav Thorpe)

Garro: Oath of Moment (James Swallow)

The Traveller (David Annandale)

Betrayer (Aaron Dembski-Bowden)

The Purge (Anthony Reynolds)

The Iron Within (Rob Sanders)

Vengeful Spirit (Graham McNeill)

And I've enjoyed most of their major appearances. My favourite was definitely Know No Fear, it's one of the best novels in the HH series IMO, and a perfect example of how to do a story of a massed engagement. Great pacing and Dan really gives the Ultramarines a strong character, especially impressive considering they're so often seen as "vanilla" marines. If you're keen on the Ultras and haven't read that yet, you're definitely missing out. Unremembered Empire I wasn't a fan of, but that was mainly due to the structure and pacing more than bad portrayal of the Ultras. A Deeper Darkness I didn't like, but I'm not a fan of Rob Sanders writing generally. Battle For the Abyss was just a poor novel. The rest of that top list I've enjoyed to at least a decent extent. Abnett is my favourite for Ultramarines, since he did so well with them in KNF.

It's been announced that there's definitely more to come for Imperium Secundus, including a follow-up novel (which will indeed be Dan Abnett and will focus on the Lion and the Dark Angels, but I'm sure there will be some Ultras in there too) and a short story anthology (which again will presumably have some Ultramarine material). Maybe more too.

Red-Marked is by Nick Kyme. Not sure if it was officially confirmed to be more of Thiel, but even if not it's a fair assumption considering the title and Censure.

So yeah, not sure about whether there will actually be any more Ultramarines novels, but there's definitely more of them to come within the Imperium Secundus thread.

Thanks for this list.

I know it's been a while but I'm just getting through Mark of Calth now.... I can't believe how heinous those Word Bearers are.... even to their own forces. I really fell in love with Know No Fear, but it took a while to get past all the 2=3 Km long ships falling through the atmosphere. I think the next Word Bearers' novel should be Know No Depths.

Know No Fear took what I considered to be a pretty darn bland legion and really give them character... but he did it with Wolves too so it should be no surprise.

Imperium Secondus sounds fishy. I'd love for it to happen but am surprised we haven't heard anymore yet.  On that note, I'm looking forward to the Calth book from Forgeworld.

Of the short stories, and Ultra 'sightings' in other books, I gotta be honest I don't remember much of them in the First Heretic but that was a while ago.

I did really like the short, but impactfull appearance of Ultra's in Vengeful Spirit. (Proximo? Was great)

Short stories again, I like Nick Kyme's take on the Ultra's. I hope he does indeed do a few more.

Abnett's Ultramarines, specifically Know No Fear, rocks socks. That book re-established the Ultramarine Legion as the badasses they deserve to be.

EDIT: I am also an unashamed Tauro Nicodemus fan after Iron Within. Holy cow, what a fighter. Best. Ultramarine. Ever.

Tymell - greatly appreciate the reading list. I've read KnF and Unremembered Empire so far.

Seems like I've a way to go to get up to date regarding all things Ultramarine! laugh.png

Of the short stories, and Ultra 'sightings' in other books, I gotta be honest I don't remember much of them in the First Heretic but that was a while ago.

Yeah, they aren't in it much. Just (from what I recall) the opening section with the Word Bearers' censure.

Archived