shunt from within a building

Brom MKIV

Couldn't you just use a Bastion instead? Yeah you don't get great guns but you can still take the coms relay and place it outside, (unless they changed that, haven't used mine in awhile) and if you put your models on the battlements the turn before they can shunt no problem since they are no longer "embarked."

After reviewing the rules for Shunt as well as Embarking/Disembarking from Vehicles/Buildings, I'm going to say no, they cannot Shunt while Embarked in a Building. The reason is that a model must Disrmbark in order to exit a Vehicle or Building. Shunt would work if models could leave Buildings without Disembarking; unfortunately, that is not the case in 7th.

SJ

I have to agree. I since changed to disembark then shunt. The only issue that then brings up is the language of ending their move wholly within 6" which we didn't catch until after the last games were played. I think this language is strong enough to destroy the tactic. However I will instead embark t1 for rites of teleportation, disembark after using the bunker to block LoS, then shunt t2 after my raven arrives. Alternately I could return to my earlier version with henchmen manning the building. Either way it's still very flexible and totally worthwhile.

And yes a bastion would do the same thing it just costs 20ish pts more for the bigger building. Not worth it in my list but worth considering if you plan to put say devastators inside that need greater LoS. The other idea would be full stop with coteaz + plasma death unit.

They must end thier move within 6" if moving normally, shunt is not moving normally.

I agree although the whole distance lost thing makes it sticky. My group is ok with the tactic so I may continue to run it.. idk. If not my alternative works fine too. 

Ok so back on the bunker for a sec, heres the pg references with emphasis mine in italics (my brief summary of in parenth following each section):

Comms Relay:

-BRB pg 109, listed as battlefield debris.

-Battlefield Debris- "battlefield debris is difficult terrain." 

Comms Relay- "any player with an unengaged model within 2" of a comms relay can re-roll reserve rolls."

Fortifications:

-BRB pg 130 fortifications; "If a fortification is taken as part of an army, then it is set up with the rest of the units in the army using the same deployment rules as the other models."

-BRB pg 132 scenery upgrades; "some pieces of scenery can be purchased as upgrades for a fortification. For example, a comms relay can be purchased as an upgrade for an imperial bastion. When this is the case, the upgrade can either be placed on top of the building's battlements (if it is a building with battlements), or set up as a separate model within 6" of the model taking the option."

(so the bunker deploys as a unit in your army at the same time, the comms placed within 2". The comms is terrain and as such cannot be destroyed. It is an unengaged model thus activates the comms for whoever controls it.)

Objectives:

-BRB pg 134 controlling objective markers; "you control an objective marker if there is a t least one model from one of your scoring units (see below), and no models from enemy scoring units, within 3" of it.. Any unit that is in a building is considered to be within 3" of any objective markers that are on or within 3" of the building."

-BRB pg 134, scoring units; "any unit can be a scoring unit, unless:

(go to 4th bullet point).. "It is a building or fortification that is unclaimed (claimed buildings count as a scoring unit from the claiming player's army)."

(A claimed bunker is a scoring unit.)

Claiming Buildings:

BRB pg 112, claiming buildings; "to keep track of which side currently controls a building, we use the concept of 'claiming' buildings (or, if you prefer, planting your flag).

• at the start of the game, all buildings that were taken as part of a player's army are 'claimed' by the owning player, whilst all other buildings are 'unclaimed'.
  • a claimed building is a unit in the controlling player's army and will remain so, even if it later becomes unoccupied, until the building is either destroyed or claimed by an enemy.
  • if a unit enters a building, they immediately capture and claim that building, and it becomes part of that unit's side until the building is either destroyed, or an enemy unit re-enters it (and therefore re-claims it)."

(The bunker is claimed at the start of the game and if set within 3" of an objective (or on top one even) can score/contest that objective, while operating the comms)

Whew. As you can see it takes an act of congress to find and put all that together into a strategy but everything I use above (barring the disembark teleport thing which could be contested by some) is supported by the rules and apparently even intentionally encouraged by design. 

Anyway hope this helps clarify and maybe helps other players to see the  insane value of fortifications in an army as flexible as GKs, when taken in the context of a scoring 55 pt model and when compared to say an aegis DL which does none of the above. Much of this can also be applied to other forts like vengeance weapons batteries etc which I used extensively up until 7th's nerf to skyfire.

I prefer the Aegis Line because it can't be blown up (which is the problem with all buildings).

But the bunker only has to survive for...what, one turn? At AV 14 that's very doable, and unlike the Aegis it means your people aren't taking wounds.

I actually find my bunker survives most games without a scratch. Theres just too much pressure for them to be distracted by a building when my army is operating on the other side of the board anyway.

Podded melta has the best odds to do it but against that I'll often castle up rather than reserve anyway so the choice doesn't get much easier.

Archived