Phalanx Warder Squads (How to equip them)

marshal seanisi

Please don't misunderstand me - I am ALL about the cinematic of the game.  That's the reason I started 40k and it's the reason I'm so into 30k.  

That being said, I figured out one of the things that bothers me, but also a solution (kind of).  It's that adding more Breachers to a squad costs 10pts while adding more Warders with the exact same statline cost 15pts!  That seems crazy.  How do I overcome this?  Why, run a 10-man squad of Warders, of course!  Instead of paying extra for more marines, I'll just leave it as is and enjoy.  If I want larger squads, then I'll use Breachers.  Which makes sense anyways - the larger breacher formations vs the more elite Warders.  

One more item: access to axes - while nice - seems a little overrated.  Since they are equipped with the boarding shield they never get an additional attack (except for charging of course, but then you forfeit the +1T from The Stone Gauntlet).  A single power axe attack per model doesn't exactly scream "arguably better" to me, unfortunately.  I'll probably still throw a few in there to add the threat factor, but I'm with you on there not being one "best" loadout.  Also, not to be argumentative, but when "maxed out" there is almost a 200-point gap between warders and breachers.  (4 special weapons each, 1/2 warders with axes.)

Ultimately, I think the squad size thing is what will help me overcome my disappointment with Warders.  Leaving them as a 10-man squad seems to be the most cost-effective, while staying in line with their fluff.  

Wondering about your opinions now that Breachers are 15 points as well to add, and Warders get WS5 instead of In5 from shield wall.

Archived