Black Library Advent Calendar 2014

Never_born

Oh man, a story by Matt Farrer? Sold.

He hasn't contributed much to the BL in a while, but with this and his work in the Sabbat Crusade, I'm hoping we will be seeing a lot more from him.

Yeah, I'm really hoping Vorax heralds more from him within the HH series. His "After Desh'ea" short was absolutely fantastic, one of the best stories in the entire series.

On the eleventh day of Christmas...time for the Cadian Shock Troops, and Ursarkar E. Creed.

Last Step Backwards by Justin D. Hill - http://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2014/12/11/quick-review-last-step-backwards-justin-d-hill/

Great stuff, this one - hopefully a sign of things to come from this author, and maybe even a book/series about Creed. That would be awesome!

Neverborn

Oh man, a story by Matt Farrer? Sold.

He hasn't contributed much to the BL in a while, but with this and his work in the Sabbat Crusade, I'm hoping we will be seeing a lot more from him.

Yeah, I'm really hoping Vorax heralds more from him within the HH series. His "After Desh'ea" short was absolutely fantastic, one of the best stories in the entire series.

Likewise - with Urdesh coming out in the SMB series, fingers crossed this is the start of a Farrer renaissance! 

On the thirteenth day of Christmas...Blood Angels and necrons.

The Word of the Silent King by LJ Gouldinghttp://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2014/12/13/quick-review-the-word-of-the-silent-king-lj-goulding/

So what do you guys think of the Blood Angels/necron alliance? I can't quite get my head around this just yet...

Neverborn

On the fourteenth day of Christmas...Crimson Fists!

None More Loyal by Mike Lee - http://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2014/12/14/quick-review-none-more-loyal-mike-lee/

Also, yesterday I passed the 10,000 page views mark on my blog - so I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has clicked through and read one of these reviews smile.png Much appreciated!

Neverborn

I'm reading "The Word of the Silent King" right now.  It suddenly hit me:  the tone the Blood Angel narrator takes in describing their campaign is very much like that of the memoirs of General Jenit Sulla, which Amberley Vail so mercilessly mocks in the Cain novels.

I'm reading "The Word of the Silent King" right now.  It suddenly hit me:  the tone the Blood Angel narrator takes in describing their campaign is very much like that of the memoirs of General Jenit Sulla, which Amberley Vail so mercilessly mocks in the Cain novels.

Brilliant. That is exactly it! :)

Keep it up NB! Did you read the last two years' worth?

Cheers smile.png I read all of the 2012 stories, and I bought last year's ones but somehow didn't get round to reading all of them. Got a few left still. You?

And on the sixteenth day...time for the Marines Malevolent.

Vengeful Honour by Nick Kyme - http://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2014/12/16/quick-review-vengeful-honour-nick-kyme/

NB

Cheers smile.png I read all of the 2012 stories, and I bought last year's ones but somehow didn't get round to reading all of them. Got a few left still. You?

I keep meaning to... but haven't yet. Reckon they're worth it? Was thinking to use them as add-ons to help get me to £45 marks... Do you happen to know if the Heresy short-reads in that bundle are the ones from the advent bunch too?

I keep meaning to... but haven't yet. Reckon they're worth it? Was thinking to use them as add-ons to help get me to £45 marks... Do you happen to know if the Heresy short-reads in that bundle are the ones from the advent bunch too?

Well the 2012 stories were a real eclectic mix, covering Warhammer, 40k and HH, and I'd say they were all of at least good quality, with some genuinely great stories there. For me, Kill Hill by Dan Abnett is fantastic, and the three Heresy audios are definitely worth getting if you haven't checked them out yet. The 2013 stories are mostly Lords of the Space Marines tales, and from what I remember they're mostly pretty good. For £20/£25 I think they're worth it - once again, in terms of sheer word count it's not that good a calculation but there's loads of fun to be had.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Heresy shorts. Barring one of the Bjorn shorts, I think all the rest of the Heresy ones are audios from both advent bundles...

Well the 2012 stories were a real eclectic mix, covering Warhammer, 40k and HH, and I'd say they were all of at least good quality, with some genuinely great stories there. For me, Kill Hill by Dan Abnett is fantastic, and the three Heresy audios are definitely worth getting if you haven't checked them out yet. The 2013 stories are mostly Lords of the Space Marines tales, and from what I remember they're mostly pretty good. For £20/£25 I think they're worth it - once again, in terms of sheer word count it's not that good a calculation but there's loads of fun to be had.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Heresy shorts. Barring one of the Bjorn shorts, I think all the rest of the Heresy ones are audios from both advent bundles...

Okay, cheers!

I meant crossover with this release: http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/quick-reads-ebook-collection.html

But it doesn't look as if there's much (if any) - I know a few have been published elsewhere, but adding the ones I hadn't read in didn't work out cheaper than the overall bundle. It was just whether if I bought both Advent ones it'd reduce the need to get that too :P

Cheers :) I read all of the 2012 stories, and I bought last year's ones but somehow didn't get round to reading all of them. Got a few left still. You?

I keep meaning to... but haven't yet. Reckon they're worth it? Was thinking to use them as add-ons to help get me to £45 marks...  Do you happen to know if the Heresy short-reads in that bundle are the ones from the advent bunch too?

Well the 2012 stories were a real eclectic mix, covering Warhammer, 40k and HH, and I'd say they were all of at least good quality, with some genuinely great stories there. For me, Kill Hill by Dan Abnett is fantastic, and the three Heresy audios are definitely worth getting if you haven't checked them out yet. The 2013 stories are mostly Lords of the Space Marines tales, and from what I remember they're mostly pretty good. For £20/£25 I think they're worth it - once again, in terms of sheer word count it's not that good a calculation but there's loads of fun to be had. 

Okay, cheers!

I meant crossover with this release: http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/quick-reads-ebook-collection.html

But it doesn't look as if there's much (if any) - I know a few have been published elsewhere, but adding the ones I hadn't read in didn't work out cheaper than the overall bundle. It was just whether if I bought both Advent ones it'd reduce the need to get that too :P

Ah ok, gotcha. I think there's just the one in that combo that's from the previous advent calendars - Bjorn : Lone Wolf. It's often a dilemma, right?! Hard to keep up with the releases...

Okay, cheers!

I meant crossover with this release: http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/quick-reads-ebook-collection.html

But it doesn't look as if there's much (if any) - I know a few have been published elsewhere, but adding the ones I hadn't read in didn't work out cheaper than the overall bundle. It was just whether if I bought both Advent ones it'd reduce the need to get that too tongue.png

Ah ok, gotcha. I think there's just the one in that combo that's from the previous advent calendars - Bjorn : Lone Wolf. It's often a dilemma, right?! Hard to keep up with the releases...

It's the eBooks I struggle with... hence why I'm two years out :lol:

It's the eBooks I struggle with... hence why I'm two years out laugh.png

Two years of short stories, or novels as well? So much good stuff in that time... smile.png

Shorts mainly - which was why I was going to catch up on all the Advent releases, and various other shorts.

Generally, I'd always buy the physical copy of the book (as many as possible). Just through preference - and I'm not normally too fussed by audio, so again, will be interesting to see if there are some good ones here in it!

Have the painting bits been worth it this year btw?

It's the eBooks I struggle with... hence why I'm two years out laugh.png

Two years of short stories, or novels as well? So much good stuff in that time... smile.png

Shorts mainly - which was why I was going to catch up on all the Advent releases, and various other shorts.

Generally, I'd always buy the physical copy of the book (as many as possible). Just through preference - and I'm not normally too fussed by audio, so again, will be interesting to see if there are some good ones here in it!

Have the painting bits been worth it this year btw?

Fair enough. I still prefer physical books as well, but I enjoy getting the e-shorts to keep me going between physical releases :)

I've not been getting any of the GW Digital Editions, as I don't do much in the way of painting or gaming these years. They're not included in the subscription, which for me is a good thing.

So many audios this year. I was going to try and hold off buying any of the advent stuff until the the 25th, but since I have a 10 hour drive ahead of me on Sunday, I just might have to get some of these audios to help pass the time. 

Thanks for doing these reviews Never_born, super helpful in deciding what is worthwhile and what is not. 

So many audios this year. I was going to try and hold off buying any of the advent stuff until the the 25th, but since I have a 10 hour drive ahead of me on Sunday, I just might have to get some of these audios to help pass the time.

Thanks for doing these reviews Never_born, super helpful in deciding what is worthwhile and what is not.

That sounds like a good plan! My favourite audio so far from the advent calendar has got to be the Fabius Bile one, it's so much fun smile.png

I'm glad you're finding the reviews helpful - I'm a bit knackered from doing one every day, but only a few left now! And on that note...

On the twentieth day of Christmas...some more Imperial Fists get eaten by tyranids!

The Dread Sentinels of Dorn by Rob Sanders - http://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2014/12/20/726/

Why is it always the Fists?!

NB

Archived