Comparing AA units - focusing on the Hyperios platforms

Stoneheart

Hi all, just a quick one. I'm debating whether or not to try out Hyperios tarantulas in a C:SM list.

Looking at the entry in IA Vol 2 (2nd ed), I could take 3 tarantulas for 105 pts. That's 3 twin-linked S8 AP3 shots vs flyers and swooping FMC. SM Tarantulas are BS3.

The question is, is that worth it considering I could take a Stalker for 75pts? I kind of prefer the look of the Hyperios platforms but I'd like to take some form of surface to air defence to complement my Stormtalon and would be open to new ideas.

What sort of experiences have people had with SM anti-air?

Many thanks!

Stoneheart.

My experience with anti-air is that the units that work "the best" have :

- A good amount of shots

- High strength, low AP

What you want in anti-air isn't necessarily dropping the target dead, but forcing them to jink. That will reduce their firepower by a ton in the later turn, and if you can drop them that's even better haha :D

I switched the Skyhammer missiles for the Typhoon missiles on the Stormtalon because the AP wasn't high enough to scare off winged Hive Tyrants whose armour saves would shrug the wounds off. The problem I think with the Stalker is that it's still autocannon equivalent in terms of S and AP. While both the Skyhammer and the Stalker will work very well against light enemy fliers, I think that the Hyperios is a good trade-off for a generalistic anti-air unit that is geared for taking on MCs as well as Stormraven and Heldrake equivalents :)

Hey thanks Grey Crow, I never thought about the problem of 3+ save FMCs. That does make the Hyperios a good choice, as like you say it can deal with both lightly armoured fliers and the heavier FMCs. I already have a Stormtalon with the Skyhammer missile launcher so the Hyperios would complement that quite nicely.

Cheers! :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Hyperios systems (tarantula and WW) have both Skyfire AND Interceptor - making them just as good vs ground as AA? If they still do, that alone would make them worth looking at.

This used to be the case in 6th edition but I have a feeling interceptor no longer allows normal firing at ground targets. It does still enable you to fire at the enemy after they've arrived from reserve so that in itself is useful. Neither C:SM AA units have interceptor, so I think the tarantula platform is worth it just for that. The WW platform is too expensive for one shot however - 115pts!

It changed from 5+ to 4+ base, a pretty huge difference. Paired with more forgiving rules for grounding tests it makes FMCs much more durable. 

Unload with a stormraven on a flyrant or daemon prince these days you're lucky to get a wound through. 

Yikes. But do they still only make snap shots in the following turn? Not such a bad thing...

Better than nothing when you can alpha strike. 

What you want to do is either force a jink with an inexpensive units (that means high S AP1 or AP2 fire) or go for broke with maximum overkill. 

We have plenty of option for the first situation, not so much for the second if you don't take FW

It's funny, but for me my best AA weapons are the Multi-melta's I rarely use because I never hit anything with them. The single exception to that has been against aircraft (needing Snapshots). My one tactical marine with a MM managed a all-time high of 3 hits in a game - he missed his first shot with BS4, and hit his next 3 shots (one on an aircraft, 2 on raiders) needing snapshots (he was moving after that first shot). Other games my MM AOBR dreads have, as usual, missed everything, except the aircraft they've shot at.

So, I've finally found a use for my multi-meltas. From now on, I'm including them for AA duties.

Archived