Are Long Fangs any good?

Ulrik_Ironfist

I've only used long fangs once, and from what I saw, I liked them. But are they really a solid HS choice? I don't use a lot of heavy weapons, I like to hit hard, fast and often. I want what I shoot at to die quickly, but heavy vehicles don't really fit in with my theme. So are long fangs a good replacement for those tanks? 

My motor pool consists of:

3 razorbacks/rhinos

1 Vindicator

1 predator

1 Land Raider Crusader

1 Land Raider

My aviation consists of:

3 drop pods

2 Stormtalons

1 Stormfang Gunship

1 Stormwolf Transport

1 Stormraven Gunship

I have a ton of vehicles, and I think I'm a bit lacking in terms of infantry

but my infantry is:

16 Terminators (7 are close combat)

36 Power Armour (11 built as wolf guard, 5 as blood claws)

5 Scouts

I mainly play 1500-2500 point games, so would long fangs be a worthwhile addition?

I've only played under 1000 point games so far and am still assembling my force.

So far i have used Long Fangs three times. Twice with a pair of lascannons, only thing I had for high strength guns my first few games. Not enough firepower when my cousin fielded 2 Defilers at 700 points.

Last game I fielded a pack with 3 heavy bolters and they performed quite nicely. Of course my cousin rolling 4 ones when my Long Fangs unloaded on his first deep striking Terminator squad helped.

Ask in the Wolf sub forum for better answers. Losing the Fire Control for Split Fire made them less versatile. The changes to the vehicle damage chart has weakened the previously favored missile launchers.

Edit: :cuss phone auto correct

I've only used long fangs once, and from what I saw, I liked them. But are they really a solid HS choice? I don't use a lot of heavy weapons, I like to hit hard, fast and often. I want what I shoot at to die quickly, but heavy vehicles don't really fit in with my theme. So are long fangs a good replacement for those tanks? 

My motor pool consists of:

3 razorbacks/rhinos

1 Vindicator

1 predator

1 Land Raider Crusader

1 Land Raider

My aviation consists of:

3 drop pods

2 Stormtalons

1 Stormfang Gunship

1 Stormwolf Transport

1 Stormraven Gunship

I have a ton of vehicles, and I think I'm a bit lacking in terms of infantry

but my infantry is:

16 Terminators (7 are close combat)

36 Power Armour (11 built as wolf guard, 5 as blood claws)

5 Scouts

I mainly play 1500-2500 point games, so would long fangs be a worthwhile addition?

I think so. Long fangs got worse in the new codex, but they are still better than C:SM devastators. 

What they give your list is turn one fire power. Your fliers are great and all but they arrive turn two at best. The faster you can start to cripple the enemy the better. 

Long fangs will help you kill transports and take wounds off monstrous creatures. 

I would suggest going for mostly las-cannons. Great range, can one shot AV and will wound almost anything on 2+. 

Long range is a very good compliment to Drop Podded units for Alpha Striking :) While Drop Pods drop short range units to hit at a very narrow radius, Long Fangs and long range units should be seen as something that can shoot at most things on the board !

Also, in addition to their firepower, they have the value of board control. Basically, they can lay threatening amounts of firepower in specific firing arcs that your opponent will try to deploy away from if you go first. If you go second, deploy them where they can hurt and watch the enemy run away from them ! Because of that, you can help funnel the opposing units into spots that are advantageous for the rest of your force to complete its mission.

And that's a very good tactical value !

Basically, whenever assessing a unit it's always good to predict how the opponent will try to counter them because a smart opponent always will.

Guest Drunk Guardian

Personally, I don't enjoy using them. I throw way too many 1s and 2s... not fun when you're fire support unit is constantly missing.

If you have good luck with your dice, they can be nice... especially if you attach a Rune Priest and are fortunate enough to roll Perfect Timing.

to be honest, they really lost their shine, krak missiles are a joke now, even for anti monster duties since most MCs either are flying, t8 or in a 2+ or have a 4+ or better cover save. And if you are taking lascannons then imperial fist devestators/centurions are just better. And if you focus just in the SW codex I would rather have a stormfang gunship. For a few points more then a decked long fang squad you have that... with its super amazing hellfrost gun that is great for everything with

So What I'm getting from this, is long fangs are better than dev squads, but aren't necessarily a must take. For a hard hitting drop pod army, they're fantastic, but don't take missile launchers. I agree that Air Power is the best solution for air power, and I love me some Air Power. Aside from that, they're worth having in my armoury, even if they don't see use every game.

While I have no experience with long fangs, I run both lascannon and missile devs squads in my army. Don't dismiss the humble missile devs so easily. They are comparably cheap and a great take all comers. They can reliably glance AV12 to death and strip wounds from walking T8 and under MCs.

In addition, they are a handy little anti horde tool with their four frag missiles. If you don't have the points for more specialized units to fill those roles I would recommend them. Though, I am perhaps biased as I run IF tactics so I get the benefit of tank hunter from them.

Archived