1850 Death Guard Competitive List

Grazzlebaz

With your help with my list last year we made a very competitve horus heresy army for the adepticon tournament. And the list was as follows.

This list was extremley effective, I went 2-1 last year and the loss was from a :cussty scenario that made it almost impossible for my side to win.

Legion Praetor-100            (190)

Cataphractii armor

Paragon Blade

Digital weapons

Rad Grenades

Grenade Harness

Rites of war: The Reaping

Legion Centurion-50           (85)

Master of the signal

Deathshroud Terminators   (235)

3 addition terminators

Meltabombs

Apothocary detachment     (90)

additional pothecary

Legions weapons battery   (165)

2 additional weapon teams

3 laser destoryers

Contemptor-mortis dreadnought (180)

kheres assault cannons

Legion tactical squad        (235)

5 additional marines

Legion Vexilla

sgt with artificer armour

powerfist

Legion tactical squad-150         (235)

5 additional marines

Legion Vexilla

powerfist

Legion heavy weapons squad   (160)

autoncannons

Storm eagle assault gunship   (275)

extra armour

twin linked multi-melta

two twin linked lascannons

Tactical Objectives cards are being used for this tournament

Straight forward strategy with this. Blobs of troops either advance to objectives, or hunker down and hold them. With apocs. attached to them of course.

Laser destroyers and autocannon devbastators will to the same, killing transports or heavy vehicles and what have you, sticking the MotS in with em.

contemptor will mow down just about anything with the amount of shots it has (threatinging light to medium vehicles and troops alike) and has anti-flyer capability

Praetor and deathshroud go in storm eagle to take an obj. further down the field and mow down horde units. although through playing if they run into a SS/TH termy unit (or horus forbid those damn salamander two wound termies) they dont last long.

So the questions and concerns I have are

1. Any advice and feedback is more than welcome

2. Swap out paretor for Typhon? they are the same points and Typhon does have of neat toys and rules, namley Lvl 1 telepath and get lucky with invisibility (which would make the deathshroud MORE annoying to my opponent.) and denying my opponent a scoring unit.

3. My absolute main concern are Imperial Knights, I have lots of shooting I can direct at them but they are still scary bastards I'd like to not have to deal with. between the dread, laser destroyers, and devastators thats alot of shots but thats less troops and big tanks they are not shooting at. And for close combat I have deathroud with meltabombs...if they survive that is.

forgive my ignorance - but what benefit does 'the reaping' give this list?

Allows characters to take rad grenades (-1T to enemies first round of combat for +10 points), makes devastator/Vet tactical squads non-compuls troops. However there can only be one fast attack choice, no deepstriking and no running/flat outs. I mainly took it for rad-nades on praetor and scoring devastators

I was going to say - that's a very hefty tax (preator) just for use of rad grenades. Again, I might be wrong, but would it be better to reduce the amount or armour in the list and add in more heavy weapons teams?

It doesn't look like you're making very much use of the rad grenades from the reaping, although move through cover at the cost of running can be alright if you're shooty. Maybe more rad grenades? They are pretty awesome after all. 

I'm definitely not a very competitive player but if you are worried about knights would missile launchers be a better option than autocannons? They're the same points cost at least. I'm not sure where else to pull points from if you want rad grenades, but potentially the vexillas as you are immune to fear and pinning... Yeah, not sure there.

If you're worried about knights, for ~35 more points than your heavy weapons squad, you can take a Sicarian Venator. That thing will :cuss all over Super-Heavies with its gun.

If you are looking at making this a competitive list then replace the laser destroyers with thudd guns. 12 S8 attacks with re-rolls for armor pen will glance knights to death better than laser destroyers will blow them up. They can also murder most infantry in the game, which gives you flexibility.

It will leave you vulnerable to MCs, however. since none of the thudd gun attacks have a strong AP. How do you plan to deal with high toughness 2+ MCs like Riptides and Wraithknights?

While everyone has great ideas keep in mind I am on a tight budget unsure.png so I cant go too far from this list, prolly 100-150 dollars of spending money and double that if I feel like eating banana and peanut butter samiches for 3 months.

It doesn't look like you're making very much use of the rad grenades from the reaping, although move through cover at the cost of running can be alright if you're shooty. Maybe more rad grenades? They are pretty awesome after all.

I'm definitely not a very competitive player but if you are worried about knights would missile launchers be a better option than autocannons? They're the same points cost at least. I'm not sure where else to pull points from if you want rad grenades, but potentially the vexillas as you are immune to fear and pinning... Yeah, not sure there.

I dont find the 10 points too expensive, as -1T with power scythes means ill be wounding on 2's and with no ATSKNF the more wounds the better.

I was going to say - that's a very hefty tax (preator) just for use of rad grenades. Again, I might be wrong, but would it be better to reduce the amount or armour in the list and add in more heavy weapons teams?

I might be hard pressed against massed infantry, but any heavy vehicles I worry about will be toast. I have trouble finding another 35 points to let go beside dropping 2 marines from each squad, any suggestions?

If you are looking at making this a competitive list then replace the laser destroyers with thudd guns. 12 S8 attacks with re-rolls for armor pen will glance knights to death better than laser destroyers will blow them up. They can also murder most infantry in the game, which gives you flexibility.

It will leave you vulnerable to MCs, however. since none of the thudd gun attacks have a strong AP. How do you plan to deal with high toughness 2+ MCs like Riptides and Wraithknights?

Couldnt find the rules where it says they get two different ammo options for the quad morator, but if you are right then all I need to do is cut 15 points, I'd take 12 S8 shots at re roll armour pen over 3 S9 ordnance any day, I also got 10 auto cannon shots that have chances for glancing. Also i don't have to worry too much about MC's as this is HH only event, worse MC I will face got are from mechanicum. But then againt the thanatars are terrifying......

Been doing some list tweaking latley and after the feedback here's and alterted list

Legion Praetor-100            (175)

Cataphractii armor

Paragon Blade

Rad Grenades

Grenade Harness

Rites of war: The Reaping

Legion Centurion-50           (95)

Master of the signal

Deathshroud Terminators   (190)

2 addition terminators

Meltabombs

Apothocary detachment     (90)

additional pothecary

Legions weapons battery   (180)

2 additional weapon teams

3 quad mortars

Contemptor-mortis dreadnought (180)

kheres assault cannons

Legion tactical squad        (235)

4 additional marines

Legion Vexilla

powerfist and rad grenades

Legion tactical squad-150         (235)

4 additional marines

Legion Vexilla

powerfist and rad grenades

Legion Sicarian Venerator (190)

Storm eagle assault gunship   (275)

extra armour

twin linked multi-melta

two twin linked lascannons

After that I have 5 points to spare, quad mortars can threaten armour and infantry (to replace heavy weapon team) Sicarian can s**t on any tanks or super heavies parade (replacing the laser destoyers). took out a marine from the tac squads for a rad grenades

Couldnt find the rules where it says they get two different ammo options for the quad morator, but if you are right then all I need to do is cut 15 points, I'd take 12 S8 shots at re roll armour pen over 3 S9 ordnance any day, I also got 10 auto cannon shots that have chances for glancing. Also i don't have to worry too much about MC's as this is HH only event, worse MC I will face got are from mechanicum. But then againt the thanatars are terrifying......

Do you have the little red books? Its on page 83 and 93 of the crusade army list book smile.png

Archived