Most effective way to run Pask

GuardsmenBob

Pask is one my favorite characters to run in my Imperial Guard army outside of creed but I've been wondering what is the best Leman Russ for Pask

Here is what I have ran him with

Punisher

Multi melta sponses

Las Cannon

Dozer Blade

Exterminator 

Multi melta sponses

Las Cannon

Dozer Blade

Vanquisher

Las Cannon

Camo Netting

Executioner

Plasma Cannon sponses

Las Cannor

Dozer Blade

are any of the other Leman Russes worth it and is there anything I should change on the ways I run Pask

"Most effective" is a relative term as it depends what you want him to be effective at. Assuming you'd want him to be effective at as many targets as you can, i.e. a generalist then the answer is almost certainly the Punisher. Give him heavy bolters and he will mow down almost anything with wounds, and under weight of fire can take down armour too - even Land Raiders thanks to rending! With his Warlord trait he even has a fair shake at tackling flyers...

Due to the nature of shooting he is arguably more useful on non-blast tanks where his BS4 brings more but this is less so for smaller blasts from the Executioner. The alternate fire mode can be great in the right situation. There's so much variety in how you can build a Russ that it has plenty of answers. Take the Punisher I mentioned - what if you want some more range or AT? Give him a lascannon. Perhaps plasma cannons so he has a direct threat to heavy infantry?

Russ tanks are versatile, there's almost certainly a build for every occasion :P

Here is my post from an old Russ discussion.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/295716-fuss-with-russ-making-me-cuss/?p=3787855

I got some flak for sugguesting I used math for my conclusions, but ... well, here it is.

I am looking at starting an allied detachment from AM to play with my Sisters.  I want to take some tanks and with Leman Russ HQ it seems perfect.

Anyway, I plugged a bunch of numbers in a spread sheet for the different loadouts to calculate their abilities to kill guard equivalent, MEQ, MC (T 7 with 3++), AV 11, AV 13 and AV12 flyers.  All of this was then scaled based on weapon range.  

For Pask the Punisher is far and away the best option.  This should be no surprise but even scaled back hard due to range AND assuming he will not have a target on turn 1 (which he will but it could happen) the Punisher is still the best choice.

For the squadron mate, I came up with the Autocannon version as best choice, closely followed by the plasma version. I get the names crossed quite often because they are so similar  but I hope you know which I mean.

I did similar calculations for sponson weapons based on point cost but it really falls back to what you want to do with the unit.  I have a hard time justifying the cost of heavy bolters for how I plan on using the Russes.  I will probably go with melta for Pask (or no sponson weapons at all because honestly, he does not need any more fire power) and plasma for the mate.

So far this has held up in game play, too. I now use Punisher with melta and lascannon and am very happy with how it performs. I don't take any defensive gear, but that is more of a personal preference than any sort of math hammer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived