Whats your view on the Armourd Company list

So I was wondering, what people think of the armourd company list. See I have 4 tanks which I do not use anymore, and a 5th one coming up once I have a sutable conversion. And instead of just getting rid of them (as some of them are not in a usuable state without some conversions). And well, I saw the film "Fury" last month and was inspired to do a tank company.

Now the reason I am looking at the Forge world list rather than use the normal book is simply for variety. I dont want my armies to be too similer and with one Astra Millitarum army nearing compleation, I would rather use a different book so as to not be repeating myself. Also I have fallen in love with beast hunter shells. The thought of killing a hive tyrant and his guard in one shot just..

well it does something I cannot share on this family website.

The main issue with the armoured company is finding a way to have a fun game with it.

Against your average 'playing for fun' opponent who isn't expecting an armoured company, a wall of AV14 doom is just not fun as most of their army lacks the ability to do any damage an they'll just get crushed.

Against more competitive players, the Armoured company will die horribly to close combat because as soon as bikes, drop pod melta, deep strikers, Knights etc get anywhere near you they punch their way straight through it.

The best games I've had with it required me to arrange games with a friendly opponent and to tell them specifically that I'll be bringing that list so they can tool themselves up with anti-tank weapons. They you can have a fun game blowing each other up with ordinance weapons.

Also, you'd be surprised how many Wraithknight and Riptide owners get angry about instant death weapons, even when you point out that their units can quite easily instant kill tanks.

Fodder raises good points. AC lists appeared in my circle many years back and caused much upset as if you didn't know it was coming you'd be in for a very hard time. For pick up games this often leads to a distinct lack of fun. However with the advent of unbound this is less of an issue, as people can be more used the weird and wonderful turning up. After all, if there's the possibility of facing Knights and triple Wraightknights etc then most people won't find a lot of tanks to be any worse. Especially with how squishy they are in combat, as Fodder said well oiled lists can have plenty of answers.

So I think you should go for it (and log your progress for us). The game is all sorts of open now so an armoured company isn't that scary anymore. It's the same for any other pick up/friendly games you just say what list you have and get on with organising the game smile.png

Plus, anything that makes the Wraithknight and Riptide spammers cry has got to be doing the Emperor's work laugh.pngmsn-wink.gif

i used to play the armoured company list a lot, and can tell that with the current dex you're getting much more millage out of your tanks than with the armoured company due to their reduced prices. Really, the only thing making the armoured company attractive at the moment are beast hunter shells. either way, the way to make an armoured company work is by using armoured fist squads in support of your leman russes. you'll need at the very least 3 of these units to be somewhat capable of playing maelstrom games since your russes will simply be too slow, and in generally not fit to grab objectives

In this crazy 7th(6.5)ed where everything goes i find no problem with taking what ever IA lists you want. I like the armored company list. I have been taking it as allies to my death korps assault brigade. Command vanquisher with beast hunter shells, thunderers as troops and my vulture gunship. Great little ally with my DKoK or C:AM primary force. The instant death rounds and scoring thunderers/russes offer something you can't find in other IG codexs. The tank commander can actually give orders (@ ld10) to other tanks not just squadron mates. Hydras and vendettas are still good in IA1 2nd ed.

As a comp list, things for the most part are a little more expensive points wise and even though there are a bunch of cool options points will skyrocket fast and could end up handicapping your list. Thats why i try to limit them to allies. As cool as an armored company would be to run, against the turni meta it will be steamrolled by thunderwolves, demons, bike and droppod armies.

Archived