2500pt Salamanders

Grizzly Adams

Hi all, long time 40k player making my first foray into Horus heresy. Have yet to play a game yet, but I always like to build a list to use as a target for my purchasing and modelling decisions.

My goal is to build something that is fun to play on the tabletop, fits within the Salamander theme, and hopefully gives me the opportunity to win some games along the way.

Anyways, onto the list.

Vulkan

Cataphracti Terminator Praetor

+ thunderhammer

+ dragonscale storm shield

+ mantle of the elder drake

9 Tactical Squad

+ additional chainsword

+ Veteran sergeant

+ additional chainsword

+ artificer armour

+ melta bombs

• Rhino Armoured Carrier

9 Tactical Squad

+ additional chainsword

+ Veteran sergeant

+ additional chainsword

+ artificer armour

+ melta bombs

• Rhino Armoured Carrier

9 Tactical Squad

+ additional chainsword

+ Veteran sergeant

+ additional chainsword

+ artificer armour

+ melta bombs

• Rhino Armoured Carrier

9 Tactical Squad

+ additional chainsword

+ Veteran sergeant

+ additional chainsword

+ artificer armour

+ melta bombs

• Rhino Armoured Carrier

4 Firedrake Terminator Squad

+ 4× thunder hammer

+ 4× dragonscale storm shield

+ firedrake master

+ thunder hammer

• Spartan Assault Tank

+ auxiliary drive

+ dozer blade

+ armoured ceramite

+ flare shield

Whirlwind Scorpius

Sicaran Battle Tank

+ lascannon sponsons

+ armoured ceramite

Comes out to 2500pts on the nose. I am undecided on my troops, whether to stick with 10 tacs in a rhino or to go with full 20 man squads with some mounted tac Support squads.

Really excited to get started in 30k, the models and the rules are simply fantastic.

I really like the firedrakes (40 points for W 2 terminators??) and as a GK player (paladins) i can say that they really can earn back their points! 

So maybe you could drop a tactical squad to use the spartan capacity at its best and add a couple of them (i guess you are placing the praetor and Vulkan with them!).

i really like, by the way, the idea of 20 man tactical squads (since its something new and the game push you this way) but i really struggle thinking out how keep them alive on the battlefield. Maybe you could add some Apothecaries to keep them fighting on foot (if you are going to play 20 models "blobs")?

You have chosen some great tanks, and the drakes are really solid. You don't need the praetor though, he is unnecessary extra expensive killing power for a unit including a primarch. Given the new FAQ ruling out the primus Medicae as a compulsory ha, I'd consider a chaplain consul for that unit. Zealot will be useful.

I think your troops choices are a bit one dimensional. I'd have at least one 20man squad, with an apothecary. This will be more durable in the long run, and less expensive than 2 10 man rhino squads. I'd also consider a flamer support squad, because fire - these guys make sense in a rhino. Maybe keep one mobile tac squad if you like, but points are saved by going big.

Finally, your big weakness is anti-air. Consider squeezing a Mortis in if you can find the points, though that might be tight. I think you sicaran and Spartan can fill that roll in a push though.

So long story short - save points in ha and troops and use them to bring a bit more varied fire power and unit buffers.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, taking what you guys have suggested, here is my second pass

Vulkan

Chaplain

+ refractor field

+ artificer armour

Primus Medicae

+ artificer armour

19 Tactical Squad

+ additional chainsword

+ Veteran sergeant

+ additional chainsword

+ melta bombs

19 Tactical Squad

+ additional chainsword

+ Veteran sergeant

+ additional chainsword

+ melta bombs

+ 4× thunder hammer

+ firedrake master

+ thunder hammer

• Spartan Assault Tank

+ auxiliary drive

+ dozer blade

+ armoured ceramite

+ flare shield

2 Apothecarion Detachment

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought

+ two twin-linked kheres pattern assault cannon

Whirlwind Scorpius

Sicaran Battle Tank

+ lascannon sponsons

+ armoured ceramite

Gives me a lil more killy and staying power at the cost of some mobility

I definitely get a Salamander vibe from that second list.

The only concern I have for that one would be a Typhon or similar high strength cover ignoring weapons platform. The Spartan could charge up to it but that would leave it at the mercy of the bulk of your opponents force. Though if anything could survive that, it would be a Spartan. The Scorpius is a solid unit; though perhaps some Speeders would be more ideal to support the Spartan on the fly?

I think the second list is a big improvement too, and very salamander. It's hard to argue against it, but there are a few things you could consider.

1. If you can find 10 points I'd try and drop a dragon scale storm shield on the chaplain. It makes him less of a weak link in the Firedrake squad, and will preserve your zealot.

2. The primus sounds cool, and is cool. But I'm not so sure it is worth the points, especially given the cost of adding something else to your list. Firstly, given your 2+/3++ you aren't going to need to take too many Fnp saves anyway - correct me if I'm wrong (I'm lacking my rule book) but won't a number of things that punch through those saves ignore Fnp anyway? Secondly, the 95 points on your primus would pretty much buy you two more drakes. These probably add a comparable amount of resilience, but better offence. Despite that, I think you have enough eggs in you basket-shaped Spartan at 2.5k. I'd drop the primus, and spend the 95 points (maybe get a few more from dropping a tac marine or two) on something to help break tanks. This would help with nusquam's concerns. 110 points gets you 2 laser destroyer rapiers, which would help killing a typhon quickly. Two graviton rapiers could also be a big boost (especially if you take the covenant of fire), but are probably too pricey. Alternatively a five man flamer a support squad in a rhino could be a good addition, as an extra mobile scoring unit, which is adept at taking and holding an objective in cover.

3. If you drop the primus, then you might as well use the covenant of fire, as vulkan lets you bring it. You meet the restrictions for slots (assuming you add troops or elicited with the primus' points), and gain move through cover and so cheeky situational invulnerable saves on you vehicles. Personally I think this is more valuable than Fnp on you Firedrake squad on its own, before you consider the additional non-Spartan unit... But I might be wrong. If nothing else invul enable saves on your Spartan against melta bombs is pretty cool.

4. A nuncio vox somewhere might help you dropping some indirect fire templates from your whirlwind.

Anyway - despite all of that, you already have a solid, fluffy and awesome list. I look forward to seeing it get built!

thanks again everyone, i forgot about the 2nd consul keeping me from being able to use the salamander covenant of fire rules, which i definitely want to use. here is my next stab

Vulkan

Chaplain

+ refractor field

+ artificer armour

19 Tactical Squad

+ additional chainsword

+ Veteran sergeant

+ additional chainsword

+ melta bombs

+ master-crafted

19 Tactical Squad

+ additional chainsword

+ Veteran sergeant

+ additional chainsword

+ melta bombs

+ master-crafted

+ 4× thunder hammer

+ firedrake master

+ thunder hammer

• Spartan Assault Tank

+ twin-linked heavy flamer

+ auxiliary drive

+ dozer blade

+ armoured ceramite

+ frag assault launcher

+ flare shield

2 Apothecarion Detachment

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought

+ two twin-linked kheres pattern assault cannon

1 Rapier Weapons Battery

+ quad mortar

Whirlwind Scorpius

Sicaran Battle Tank

+ lascannon sponsons

+ armoured ceramite

2,495 pts

had some extra points, so i threw in the rapier, didnt figure it could hurt.

With the upgrades to the Sicaran you could afford another quadmortar or get a Rapier laser destroyer. If you're on the move with the Sicaran you'll end up snapfiring one of the lascannons. Your RoW also gives it a 5++ from melta, while not better than immune it does make AC less appealing in some cases; this might be one of them. A Rapier LD would probably work better overall.

Archived