1850 Sons Of Horus Army list

sedobren

Since i've decided to sink a lot of money into this, i'd like to know what do you think of my army list.

(note: i've always played GK so far)

Onslaught Detachment

Legiones Astartes : sons of Horus

Rites Of War: None

HQ

Centurion (105)                      

Consul (primus Medicae), Jump Pack

Centurion (95)                      

Consul (Master of Signal)

Troops

Legion tactical Squad, 10x  (185)

Rhino

Legion tactical Support Squad, 5x (210)

Rhino, Plasma Gun

Legion tactical Support Squad, 5x (210)

Rhino, Melta Gun

Fast Attack

Reaver Squad, 10x (275)

Jump Pack, Power Fist

Reaver Squad, 10x (270)

Jump Pack, Power Axe

Heavy Support

Legion heavy Support Squad, 5x (235)

Lascannons

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (185)

Predator

Predator with Executioner Plasma Cannon

Legion Vindicator (130)

Laser Destroyer Array

So the idea is to use the Medic Consul into one of the reavers squad and the Master of signal in close proximity with the heavy support squad and the vindicator (so either 5 bs5 intercepting lascannons or bs 5 twin linked laser Destroyer). The rest of the army provides fire (the predators), carries out suicide attacks or takes objectives (tactical and tactical supports squads).

I'm still unsure about the lascannons, since they cost a huge amount of points. I was thinking of losing them for volkite weaponry, so that i may be able to field more marines and use the intercepting ability from the consul at its best (since the volkites are heavy 4), but i feel light on the AT side with this one.

let me know what do you think!

As Brother Molokai said, you need an HQ that doesn't have the Legion Support Officer rule (thanks, FAQ..). You also need a second compulsory troops choice, as the support squads have the appropriately named Support Squad rule.

Here's what I would do: Consider taking Maloghurst (or a counts-as), who moves your Reavers into Troops. Drop the Primus Medicae for 1-2 regular apothecaries. Free points up by dropping a support squad and increasing the other squad sizes across the board wherever possible (especially the Reavers). Maybe an extra few power weapons for the Reavers? Potentially, if the MoS is still in the force and hanging with the heavy weapons squad, replace the Vindicator with a Medusa or Whirlwind Scorpius for a similarly devastating blast but with longer range and indirect fire through the MoS. Mal gives you access to a RoW but you probably don't want one, especially not the Black Reaving, with the number of heavy support choices you have. You could potentially replace the lascannons with Rapiers? All choices are decent anti-vehicle, but Quad Mortar shatter shells are 4 shots at S8 w/ Sunder. 

damn i didn't know about the Consul rule...so basically the black Reaving is even worse than before?

About the other troop choice, i'm using the Onslaught Detachment, which requires only one compulsory troop Choice!

well the apothecaries, i can't take them since the do not have the jump pack option, and i am playing the reavers as jump infantry (also to maximize the SoH rules etc, and because i like jump infantry).

My first builds were with maloghurst, but i don't quite know where to put him; i might place him with the reavers, but i am playing them as jump infantry: i know that this is not the optimal build for them, 2 15 reavers teams with apothecaries and maloghurst are really tough to gun down! (i'll surely try them later).

Otherwise i could do this (i should have said firs that i only own for now 30 tactical marines with heavy weapons options and 20 assault marines, with some converted rhinos and predators)

HQ

Maloghurst The twisted  (140)

Centurion  (95)

Master of Signal

Elites

Apothecarion Detachment, 2x (90)

Troops Choices

Legion Assault Squad, 20x (410)   (or maybe i should play them as 15 jump packs reavers?)

Power Weapon

Reaver Squad, 15x (325)

2x Power Fists, Artificier Armour on the chieftain

Reaver Squad, 15x (325)

2x Power Fists, Artificier Armour on the chieftain

Heavy Support

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (220)

Executioner Predator

Executioner Predator

Legion Vindicator  (130)

Laser Destroyer Array

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius (115)

As your list stands right now I would drop the master of the signal. The big reason you take him is his ability to boost a units BS and you are taking a lot of CC infantry. the 95 points is a very heavy tax for a once per game 1-3 ordnance templates. I would suggest try changing the consul to a legion champion or chaplin to support your reaver squads. Or just give him gear with no consul upgrade.

I think I've given bad advice: I forgot that apothecaries can't take jump packs. You probably want the Reavers jumping, and instead of the assault squad maybe consider a tac blob with an apothecary to hold an objective. It's especially useful for the Reavers because they buy jump packs for a cheap flat fee rather than per marine, making it a pretty efficient use of points. I also totally didn't notice the Laser Destroyer on the Vindicator... Not sure on how effective that is vs Rapiers w/ the same laser destroyers (3 for 35 points more), but it would look pretty cool. 

Also the Black Reaving in itself isn't so bad, it just requires more fast attack than Heavy Support and your list has a lot of those HS options. It also requires a Master of Signal, which now that I'm looking, doesn't have much of a place without the heavy support squad to hang out with. I'll second recommending a chaplain to chill with a Reaver squad, he's probably the best close-combat force booster option out of the consuls.

Last bit, some caution regarding Onslaught. Playing with the non-standard AoD FoCs is sometimes frowned upon and it's often best to just stick with the standard one. The LACAL book even mentions the others are mostly for special missions and that they need to be agreed upon prior to the game. That's not to say having an onslaught list is bad, but make sure you can play the standard AoD FoC just in case. Your revised list already abides by the regular one so you should be alright.

So i'll drop the master of signal and add a lot of weapons:

HQ

Maloghurst The twisted  (140)

Elites

Apothecarion Detachment, 2x (90)

Troops Choices

Legion Assault Squad, 20x (410)   (or maybe i should play them as 15 jump packs reavers?)

2x Power Weapon, thunder hammer, melta bombs and Artificier Armour on the Sergeant

Reaver Squad, 15x (325)

2x Power Fists,2x power Weapons, Artificier Armour and meltabombs on the chieftain

Reaver Squad, 15x (325)

2x Power Fists,2x power Weapons, Artificier Armour and meltabombs on the chieftain

Heavy Support

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (220)

Executioner Predator

Executioner Predator

Legion Vindicator  (130)

Laser Destroyer Array

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius (115)

Archived