Ahriman : Sorcerer

Never_born

Hi folks.

So who's read Ahriman : Sorcerer so far? I finished last night...to my absolute lack of surprise it was amazing! Loved it, this series is easily my favourite of recent times.

Review up on the blog : http://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2014/12/12/ahriman-sorcerer-john-french/

Anyone got any thoughts on this one? So many unanswered questions for me, that are crying out for picking up in the next book, but my biggest "what the...?" moment - 

Astraeos and the reason behind his chapter's destruction. Just...what...but...that means...did Ahriman plan for this? Whaaaaat?!

Neverborn

There's a thread rolling on Warseer for this, but I thought it was amazing, with incredible pace, and interesting things well beyond just battles. As good as books like Atlas Infernal, the DE books, Wrath of Iron, Legion of the Damned, and ADB's stuff, this is a top tier book.

I thought it was good. A little bit light on fighting for my tastes and the story took a long time to set up but the climax was pretty epic.

Waiting for my copy to arrive - loved the first, although that too took what felt like an age to develop too!

I thought it was good. A little bit light on fighting for my tastes and the story took a long time to set up but the climax was pretty epic.

Waiting for my copy to arrive - loved the first, although that too took what felt like an age to develop too!

It's arrived! On the pile...

• 3 weeks later...

I was very unsure as the plot was unfolding, almost sitting there thinking "hold on, Ahriman is better than this" and lo and behold there was that moment towards then end when it all slots into place and I just though "ahhh there it is". Brilliant. Just when people think they are getting the better of him Ahriman flips it right back on its head. The Astraeos ending sets it up nicely for sure.

Oh and, frankly I was glad of the lack of fighting and bolter-action. I much prefer a narrative and plot over the standard run of the mill fight scenes...been there seen all of that, you read one you read them all.

Oh and, frankly I was glad of the lack of fighting and bolter-action. I much prefer a narrative and plot over the standard run of the mill fight scenes...been there seen all of that, you read one you read them all.

This IMO puts John French right up there with AD-B, plot and story are key. Would much rather read about the individual characters than the bolt shells their firing and the Chainswords their swinging.

Cant wait to get my copy biggrin.png

Anyone got any thoughts on this one? So many unanswered questions for me, that are crying out for picking up in the next book, but my biggest "what the...?" moment - 

Astraeos and the reason behind his chapter's destruction. Just...what...but...that means...did Ahriman plan for this? Whaaaaat?!

Neverborn

Finished it over the weekend! After about seven chapters or so, it went at breakneck pace - which I loved. 

It took awhile to get going I felt (like the first), and the switching back and forth was almost too frequent until that stated point, but - I thought it was superbly written, enough great twists and turns - really, really enjoyed.

The fact that:

Yup, he planned for it - is great. How's that for a mindbender? Love it - using everyone for his own ends. Beautiful.

Can't wait for Unchanged now.

From the sound of it Unchanged might've just had it's rough draft finished.

If his most recent blog post is anything to go by, aye! I hope so - it's been a great series thus far. French is an excellent crafter.

I can't wait. Between Ahriman and Abaddon, and now Khârn is getting a series (I'm dubiously hopeful Anthony can pull it off), its feeling like all the characters from the Codex will have nice long backstories to connect them from Heresy to present. 

What's cool is knowing that in all the stories like 'Talon of Horus' and 'Sorcerer' the other Thousand Sons can do some crazy stuff like demolecularize people with a thought or

psychically drag entire ships

and whatnot. So if they can do that, what on earth could Ahriman possibly do if he put his mind to it!

If he puts his mind to it, lol

I loved the book! It was awesome, and I adore how there of course was a discipline for mathematics in the Thousand Sons for the siege guys! :D

I can't wait. Between Ahriman and Abaddon, and now Khârn is getting a series (I'm dubiously hopeful Anthony can pull it off), its feeling like all the characters from the Codex will have nice long backstories to connect them from Heresy to present. 

Just wait for Lucius and Typhus to get their own too... Magical!

Archived