2k Strategic Raid Mission Orbital Strike

Nusquam

Brainstorming lists for an upcoming mini-campaign that uses Strategic Raid Missions. This list is for the attacker role; meaning that Elites are mandatory/score instead of troops. I'm going for thematic lists.

For the FOC bonus I'll probably choose the ability to re-roll who goes first/seize on a 4+.

A note on the missions for those who down know: These missions are usually hitting a key location hard, blowing objectives up or holding a position. So clearing out immediate areas and fending off defenders is key. Many mission have half the defenders in reserve, but their destroyed units respawn in reserves upon destruction.

HQ

Strike-Captain Maun

Moritat

-x2 Serpentas

-Power Axe

-Reractor

-Artifcer

-Cameleoline

-Void Shield Harness

Lbrarian

-ML2

-Force Axe

-Refractor

-Artifcer

-Meltabomb

Elites

Apothecary: 2+, PS

Destroyers (Moritat,Apoth, Maun here)

-6 man

-Rad ML
Sarg: x2 Phosphex, 2+, PF

-Drop Pod

Mor Deythan

-10 man

-x7 combi-flamers, x3 combi-meltas

Shade: 2+, Meltabomb

-Drop Pod

Mor Deythan

-10 man

-x10 combi-meltas

Shade: 2+, Meltabomb

-Drop Pod

FA

Darkwing

-EA

HS

Deathstorm

-DPA

Deathstorm

-DPA

The idea is that the Deathstorm with frag and Destroyers comedown and mix things up first. The Void SHield Harness will negate the two fragstorm attacks that will be hitting every enemy units within 12" d3x2 S5 re-roll pinning blasts each. As well as protect them from small arms fire. The Destroyer Corps will try to kill the biggest infantry threat around. The Librarian will roll on telepathy. If I can get some good buffs/debuffs off, good. If not I can always Psychic Scream at something. It's heavy in points but I'll be damned if it's not terrifying. Even if charged they have Rad grenades and a 2+, 5+ FnP powerfist wielding psychopath Destroyer Sergeant that can tank a challenge while the rest go to town. The basic idea is to kill everything nearby.

The remaining pods use Mauns Nightfall vox to not scatter and gain counter attack they turn they come down.

The Mor Deythan FATAL STRIKE infantry with the flamers or melta anything with ceramite armour. Can also pop transports and flame the contents with twinlinked rending flamers. Toasty.

Alternatively if there's no exposed infantry I can make some by popping their transport with a FATAL STRIKE from some meta-wielding Mor Deythan.

The other end of the spectrum is keeping the 'Storms in reserve and going full-alpha with the infantry pods. The 'Storms can then drop down next to enemy reinforcements/establish a perimeter.

The Darkwing is for support. Either lascannon an enemy flyer or use its blinding(we use 6e blind) missiles to keep enemies dazed. If needed it can scoop up Mauns' unit when it comes on, no scatter DS from Mauns' vox, then turbo-boost away. If the 'Storms were in reserve then they can come down next to Maun, he and his unit hop in and the pods proceed to blast any enemy unit that tried to get near them. Just have to be careful not to nuke my own marines.

I'm debating freeing up a few points, removing the Moritat and putting in another unit that will be inside the Darkwing for a bait and switch tactic with Maun. Though I have a soft spot for anything gunslinger...

Something akin to this:

Remove:

Moritat

MB from Libby

2+ and PS from Apoth

Add in:

Tac Support Squad

-Plasmaguns

Thoughts?

Maun is his HQ and Has Master of the Legion; he fulfills that role.

I think it looks good though, maybe you want to give the second Mor Deythan Squad some Combi-Plasmas so that they can Rapid-Fire Fatal Strike into any tough 2+ saves they come across? Sure, melta goes the job well enough but you can potentially get more shots out of Plasma. Since they're all the same cost it might be worth considering.

Other than that, the Void Shield Harness and potential Psychic powers of the Libby make for a very tough to kill Alpha Unit so the proof will be in the pudding :p

Hmn Instead of the Support squad in the Darkwing I could fit another Mor Deythan squad with combi-plasmas inside. That would give me scoring and a more mobile unit that can hunt down 2+ saves and light to medium vehicles.

Remove:

Moritat

2+ from Apoth

Add in:

Mor Deythan

-x5 combi-plasma

Archived