The way of the sororitas

Zeratul29

If you don't want to/can't use Forge World or an Avenger Strike Fighter for Air Support, allying with Astra Militarum is the next best bet imo.  While Vendetta's went up in cost, they're still pretty good - 3 twin-linked lascannons are nothing to sneeze at.  A Vet Squad, Lord Commissar and a Vendetta will set you back about 350-400pts, depending on options, if you want to stay battle-forged.  It synergies quite well, since Vets in Chimeras work nicely alongside Battle Sisters in Rhinos.

Vendettas are good anti-air choices. 3 twin-linked lascannons can almost guarantee a pen on any flyer even when it jinks. Our Avenger Strike Fighters are also good at anti-air with the added ability to put out a high volume rate of fire. They have a versatility the Vendettas lack for about the same cost but they can't match the Vendetta's single target, anti-armor punch.

I also find that diluting my Sisters with allies makes them weaker rather than stronger as an army.

This has been my experience as well. If you start carving 500 points out of a list to fit in some allies, you start breaking the synergies between units. Pulling 2 Battle Sister Squads with Immolators and an Exorcist means you are hurting the reliability and versatility of multi multi-melta platforms, more susceptible to bad rolls on the Exorcist missiles and needing to replace 4 Objective Secured units all with 500 points or less.

Not long ago I wanted to add some tanks through allies. Going with IG, the HQ tax could actually be the tanks I want. Perfect! But after piddeling and playing buying more models than I needed ... what I have now that works is an IG army with Sister allies for hunting heavy armor and Monsterous Creatures.

The other thing to keep in mind is whether you even need air-support.  Flyers, aside from the turn they come on the board, can often be outmaneuvered especially if you're armoured up inside transports.  Flying Monstrous Creatures are a bit tougher since they can shoot 360 degrees, but now that they can't charge the turn the land it gives you a bit of breathing room from Demon Princes, Bloodthirsters/Lords of Change or Flyrants.  Harpies, Hive Crones, Fateweaver and pyschic-dakka Demon Princes/Lords of Change can still be problem, but that's where Exorcists and Immolaters with their Twin-Linked Multi-meltas come in handy - they're threatening enough when they Skyfire that the enemy player has to be at least mindful of them.

Thanks for the list Duke - much appreciated! cool.png

Think I'll switch out the repressor-retributers, for some exorcists, as I really do love that model (silly organ missile launcher and all!) I'm guessing that the Canoness was supposed to go with one of those units, so any ideas on what to do with her now?

Which brings up the first big question: Forge World? If you can, you really want a Repressor or two. They are deliciously efficient and sexy to boot.

Yeah we're pretty good on Forge World in our group - as long as it looks cool and isn't packing D weapons, then it's all good! biggrin.png Now I just need to track down some Repressors.

Thanks for the list Duke - much appreciated! cool.png

Think I'll switch out the repressor-retributers, for some exorcists, as I really do love that model (silly organ missile launcher and all!) I'm guessing that the Canoness was supposed to go with one of those units, so any ideas on what to do with her now?

Which brings up the first big question: Forge World? If you can, you really want a Repressor or two. They are deliciously efficient and sexy to boot.

Yeah we're pretty good on Forge World in our group - as long as it looks cool and isn't packing D weapons, then it's all good! biggrin.png Now I just need to track down some Repressors.

The Immolators are 6 Sister Capacity, minimum squad size is 5 so easily fit in one of them.

Taing the Exorcists also free up some points so you could consider making one of the Seraphim Squads 10 Sisters and Adding Celestine as Well if you like instead of taking the cannoness, all down to what you like the look of mate.

Archived