Ciaphas Cain novels

SyNidus

So I've just read Commissar by Andy Hoare (easily one of my favourite 40k novels, hands down) and I'm interested in reading more Commissar stories. I've heard that Ciaphas Cain is a pretty cool character and his books are some of the best.

Any recommendations on where I should start?

The Cain Archives are a lot more light hearted than most 40k works but the author did a wonderful job of making that work without anything seeming decidedly un-40k. If anything, the books go a long way toward making the 40k universe seem more human and possible. I guess that is a bit dark in its own way. tongue.png

The Cain Archives are a lot more light hearted than most 40k works but the author did a wonderful job of making that work without anything seeming decidedly un-40k. If anything, the books go a long way toward making the 40k universe seem more human and possible. I guess that is a bit dark in its own way. tongue.png

I've been saying this for a while. The world of 40k is a lot more compelling if you picture it as a place where real humans struggle to have decent lives - sometimes succeeding - amidst terrible circumstances. This is much more interesting than a flat black grimdarkfest.

I loved the Cain novels. They're hilarious and very compelling. Cain is a wonderful character.

The Ciaphas Cain novels are a great read - the first few books are available in omnibus editions as well so the are good vale for money too.

The first one is Ciaphas Cain: hero of the Imperium which collects books 1 to 3 and a couple of short stories.

Character wise I would say he's similar to Captain Blackadder from Blackadder foes forth with the books written in the style of the Harry Flashman novels.

Archived