Ideas for rounding out my Fists

Stone

Hi there,

Some great advice on here and ive found it very helpful in informing my decisions on where to go with the sweetshop that is Heresy era forces :)

I'm wanting to put together a 3000pt Imperial Fists force for the HH weekender and im a bit stuck on how to finsih it off. I have most of the models listed with a few more pieces earmarked for future projects, but before i pull the painting trigger id like to set the list. I find it easier to paint with an end point in mind!

Theme and background is really important to me but equally it would be nice for the list to at least function coherently and hopefully complimentary within itself.

It's based on a veteran company of fists whose particular strength is strengthening the line where gaps appear and holding the breach.

Hq ROW Pride of the Legion

- Praetor, TDA, solarite gauntlet, teleporter

- Centurion- Chaplain, AA

Elites

-Contemptor talon 1x fist/lascannon, 1x fist/plasma

-Mortis contemptor, kheres, havoc launcher

- apothecary

Troops

- 20 man tac, vexilla, aa serg, extra cc weapon ( chaplain and apoth go here)

- 10 man vet tac squad, 2 heavy bolters, aa serg with combi weapon, nuncio

- 6 man vet tac squad with missile launcher ( these go in achilles)

- tartaros, 5 x th/ss, teleporter

- cataphractii, 10 with mix of fists, reaper, flamer/blaster, teleporter

HS

- Sicaran with lascannon sponson

- achilles alpha

Approx 2800 pts

I may have missed off the odd piece of wargear etc but that is essentially where im at. I'd really appreciate any advice on glaring problems, nice complimentary items/units. I'm fairly open to changes, the only unit im really not keen on model wise is the rapier.

Cheers in advance :)

I quite like the look of it. I'm not totally sure how it will all tie together, but I think it could, and it could certainly be fun to play with.

A couple of things that stand out to me. Firstly, I think your chaplain is wasted in the tactical squad. I'd rather see him in Terminator armour, deep striking in with one of your terminator units - of course I'm assuming fists let you do this on centurions. If not, then I might just leave him out. You really want the tac squad firing those BS bolters as much as possible - he certainly helps when they end up in combat, but you don't want to be in combat much. Secondly, what is the plan with your six man veteran squad? It feels a little bit like an after thought. I think you should tool these up for an obvious and specific role, and use that shiny land raider to deliver them.

For the remaining points I think you need to bring a little more fire power. Unit I read your last sentence I was leaning towards 3 laser destroyer rapiers. I think a Sicaran Venator could be more thematic though - it keeps you mobile (rapid response) brings some serious anti-tank firepower, and can help to neuter the threat of enemy super heavies which you might face at 3000 points.

Good luck!

Thanks dude. I had thought about a TDA chaplain. Perhaps have him with the large termie squad and keep the praetor with the storm shield squad?

The second vet tac squad was originally going to be identical to the 10 man. Have them both outflank and be able to call down the two terminator squads. But it seemed a shame to waste the achilles transport capacity, so i though a smaller squad with missile launcher may be useful as a my backfield reaction unit, perhaps with tank hunter?

In my mind i have the 20 man pushing up to mid field with contemptors in support. 10 man vets being a nuisance with a backfield side armour shot or two. Two termie squads dropping in where needed. Achilles anchors my line, sicaran rapid reaction and alongside the mortis provides AA.

I really think the Chaplain will benefit the terminators more - you also have the flexibility of adding both characters to one unit, or splitting them on a game by game basis.

Your plan sounds decent enough, but I'd need to think over the veteran rules a bit to see if there are any better ways of using them. I think sniper might be your friend with one unit though... Hopefully Slipstreams will stop by soon though, he's mad for the Fists and has some very good list ideas. Or Kitwulfen!

For the last addition think about how you'd cope with an unexpected superheavy tank or Primarch, or a more expected knight or spartan. Be sure you have a plan to handle those. That's why I was thinking of the Venator, though there could be better options.

You're not wrong about the Venator. My only reluctance there is a financial one :)

I've really enjoyed Slipstreams views and was hoping he may swing by. The best thing is that he seems to take fluff into consideration as much as face punchability. Mind you, the two dont need to be mutually exclusive!

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Instead of a TDA Chaplain, consider a TDA Primus Medicae with your TH/SS Terminators to make them even HARDER to kill. You can also technically give him a Storm Shield and Solarite Power Gauntlet. Just don't use him in challenges, you want to keep him alive as long as possible for that FNP.

What Are you putting in the Hands of your Contemptors? Grav, plasma or Flamer?

I'd give your Tac vets with the Heavy Bolters a Rhino at minimum that way they make better use of the rules they can chose, especially if you use them more aggressively. Give them Sniper / furious charge / outflank and have fun with two Heavy/Assault 3 Heavy Bolters.

This one is more personal than anything but: I'd have preferred a Spartan for the 10 man terminator blob over the Achilles (mind you I'm fielding one of each in our 4k games, Imperial Fists too!). Give them Heavy Flamers / Plasma Blasters over Reapers (since they're best used for more or less footslogging terminators). A Spartan also gives you 4 TLLC Shots on its own which has more range / potential threat than a Backfield Achilles. Then you take Las/Gav Rapier batteries to fill in any left over points.

Or maybe even give the Tac Blob the Spartan; that way they aren't getting blown to shreds by any of the heavy firepower you'll encounter in 3k+ Games.

With the above swaps, it should also permit you to take another rhino for the ML Tac Vets and maybe give them more marines.

The Venator is also another good tank-busting option, especially against super-heavies since it can potentially force Snap-Shots. It is rather fragile though.

As for other ideas, I've posted a bunch in a variety of threads, sadly am in class so I can't hunt them all down but if you're good with search functions you should find them rather easily. I also have a bunch of list ideas in here somewhere...you might even be able to find my 4k list in the Fall of Braxis Campaign thread..

There he is! Thanks Slipstream. The army is mainly being built from units that i dont want in my Alpha Legion army, so they dont go to waste. Therefore id be keen to add stuff rather than remove large chunks and replace e.g. Spartan for Achilles.

With the 200 ish spare i could pick up a TDA primus and rhino for the vet tacs. Although this does still leave me without that serious punch. Perhaps melta bombs on everyone :)

I've read the majority of your posts/lists and have tried to take what i can from them. I'm very theme focussed but still like a force to have the potential to work!

Alright, in that case:

a Sicarian Venator or just another Sicarian would be a good enough addition. a Venator with HB Sponsons (to avoid Weapon Destroyed results and have better efficiency when they Snap Shot over Lascannons due to the Ordnance Main Gun) will run you ~200 points.

I wouldn't roll Preator + Chaplain + Primus. Too many points in one squad. And while they all have a 3+ Invulnerable, they aren't invincible.

Maybe Swap the Second Tac Vet Squad (ML) for Seekers in a Rhino; give them all combi-weapons (Plasma, Melta, Flamer, we don't have grav) and have them hunt down expensive stuff. I'd preferably run this as a 10 man Squad in a LR Proteus but you don't have 500 Points to spare :p This would be easy-ish to do model wise: just swap the weapons if you can. They also have Special Issue Ammunition which can be hilarious against horde armies (see: Tempest Bolts + Rapid Fire).

If you can find 30 points in your list, theres always the Fire Raptor. The Dakka Mobile the Dakka Jet wishes it was.

Haha, the fire raptor is already underway for my Alphas :).

Seekers with rhino and a rhino for the vets might be the way to go. More bodies is always nice.

Thanks for the help both. I'll have some pics up in Jan. I've only got a month to paint it all!

Seekers are pricey, but I think a unit with combi plasmas in the Achillies would be a really good choice. Marked for death combined with rapid firing plasma for a round is scary to any unit, and the rest of the time they are BS6 with some versatile firing options. They just bring a llot more to the table than a veteran squad.

Hopefully you can find the points for this unit, terminator armour for your consul (primus or chaplian) and a venator. I think that would round it all out quite well. You'll probably have to trim points from your Cataphracti to do it, but I think its possible.

Looking forward to some pictures :)

Archived