Just How Unpleasant is Building the Exorcist?

I have something of a bad history when it comes to building metal and plastic vehicles - the 3rd Edition Baal Class Predator scarred me for life - and now I've finally reached the point where I'm looking to acquire my Exorcists I'm feeling a similar sort of trepidation. I certainly like the model, but I've heard a number of horror stories about warped metal casts and general difficulty in putting the thing together. Truth be told, I've actually been courting the idea of converting Whirlwinds both to spare myself the trouble and save some money (Perhaps as much as £12 per tank) but obviously that just wouldn't be the same as using the real kit.

So like the title says, just how horrible a business is building the Exorcist? Any tips or horror stories from your own experience?

When the kit first came out I just flat refused to get one, thought it was, well, ugly. After doing a whirlwind conversion that was okay, it felt to space marine so I got one. After test fitting each piece a lot of filing on the pipes and tweaking the top piece and test fitting again they get to where they fit as good as they can then use filling putty to fix openings. It's not too difficult, I had 3 up until a few months ago I had to sell my sisters and now the guy that bought them has so much fun wiping me off the table with them and the exorcist is his fav.

Fair enough. I think a big part of my concern comes from the fact that I'm someone who has no experience working with green stuff or pinning, so fixing up any of the more obvious problems, or making sure pieces stay stuck fast, feels a little outside my comfort zone.

For my second Exorcist, I actually bent the warped metal part, the organ sits on, back straight, to see if it could be fit without filling any gaps. The result was, it does, but only after I cut back the underlying Immolator-plastic-top-part in a few places.

As a comparison, have you built a Thunderfire Cannon in metal? :lol: It's not the worst kit no, more of a labour of love as mentioned. Just stick at it and it'll not be too much work plus after such an act of devotion the Emperor will no doubt bless it!

Using a SoB-ified Whirlwind is always a good option if you don't want to get the Exo though :)

I used a tiny amount of Greenstuff and plenty of super glue on mine.  Was fairly straightforward to be honest and went together fine, though I may have been lucky with that particular model.  I have another one yet to build but I'm in not too worried about it.  I don't think its a model you need to pin (the thought occurs that I am not using GW glue, which I have heard is not very good).

Compared to Penitent Engines the Exorcist is a walk in the park :p

Its a piece of cake compared to the PP leviathan. If you dont know what that is than i advise you to get it and try to put it together without getting the urge to curse and throw the model into some random corner of your room (and that was the nice version of my feelings)

If you want an alternative to the Organ Pipe Exorcist, get an Immolator kit and find some Typhoon Missile Launcher bitz (they are in the Space Marine Landspeeder kit, or ebay etc).  Mount the two typhoon missile launchers on the back of the Immolator turret, and mount the turret itself at the rear of the vehicle.

I bought my sisters collection second hand, and that's how my Exorcists were done.  I think it looks quite good if you want a more 'military vehicle' feel as opposed to 'space gothic'; far less Space Mariney than a Forgeworld/Whirlwind conversion too.

If you really have trouble keeping the model together, which is unlikely, you can use two part epoxy, you will not need to fill gaps or worry about the joints breaking. Ever. Don't get me wrong, it may break, just not where you glued it laugh.png. Also, use epoxy outside in a well ventilated area.

• 2 weeks later...

My first Exorcist wasn't that bad, not going to lie, I was on those pipes for over an hour before they wouldn't fall off. Haven't pinned them though, just copious amounts of Super Glue. Though my advice would be ignore GW Super Glue, i swear because of the few Sisters players and how few Exorcists and Penitent Engines they probably sell per year they made their glue weaker, because I refuse to believe anyone has ever successfully built either with just GW glue since it's incredibly weak. But all in all my Exorcist was a good experience, not a horror show, but did require abit of calm. Though it could be I got lucky with mine since I have read some horror stories about them.

Only need two more then I have my 3, I think any I have after that I'll probably convert from Immolator and Whirlwind/Land Speeders.

Ugh, found out yesterday that GW clippers "aren't designed for metal" any more when I tried to get a replacement set after a single use destroyed the edge.

They're pretty. But the metal is so soft that I'd be shocked if they even cut through plastic thicker than a flash tag. Fortunately the manager likes me so he let me buy a £20 voucher off him for £2 and the broken clippers.

Archived