Basilisks v Earthshaker

I'm currently still building my Death Korps of Krieg Army and have so far tried to stick to the fluff as best I can by buying the Earthshaker gun carriages off of Forgeworld if which I have the first two (I have six of them in my 2000 point list). They are nice models to be fair but...well I'm not in that high paying a job and the £71 per model for the gun alone is holding me back quite badly. I was just wondering what peoples feeling were if it was an accepted convention to just use the basic GW Basilisk model in such cases and shake on it between gentlemen that your using the immobile artillery rules etc. (even though it is represented on a vehicle chassis)? Is that something I would be likely to get away with playing in store or anywhere other than with my close friends?

if cost is a problem you could try to model your own earthshaker emplacements from plasticard. I've done that for 3 emplacements (even got casts made for them, but in hindsight it would have been cheaper and easier to actually just make them completly from plasticard.)

to make them i got my hands on the following tubes, all fitting into eachother:

1.6mm, 1.4mm, 1.2 mm,1.0 mm, 0.8 mm. in addition you'll also need some plasticard plates (1 mm) will do to construct the carriage itself. For wheels you can get cheap lego technic wheels of ebay. even the mount if the gun can be made easy by using lego technic curved halfbeam (3x3)

to make the carriage you can find patterns online for papercraft earthshaker carriages.

Honestly, i think this option will be much nicer, not to mention cheaper! not to mention easier to explain to your opponents too.

What I'm planning to do is magnetise the Earthshaker into the Chimera chassis it comes with, then grab a hold of the Lascannon mount from the Imperial Bastion kit, to use as a swappable mount for it as an Earthshaker Platform.

FW sadly stopped doing the ol' Earthshaker Platform, it only does the carriage now, which is both more expensive and less attractive in style, IMO.

Thanks for the tips guys. From what you've said I think I'll be OK to go ahead and buy the Basilisks. I'll try and my hand at keeping the weapon section and the chassis separate and see how it goes / looks. Failing that I'll just deploy the vehicle as a static installation and we'll just pretend it doesn't have a heavy bolter (or an engine). Plus you never know when you might need a full grown Basilisk for the next army, I guess. smile.png

Archived