Savlar Chem Dogs Modelling Advice

CoffeeGrunt

Hey guys,

I'm starting to push the Heralds of Ruin Kill Team ruleset at my local store, with me and the manager being a few aiming to assemble themed Kill Teams to start getting it played. I decided that a faction I'd love to do would be the ever-untrustworthy Savlar Chem Dogs, (not gunna do those poster boy Cadians now, am I?)

My initial plan was to use the Chaos Cultist models to represent them, with the iconography of the Ruinous Powers snipped off, but they're a bit too repetitive for my taste. As this will be such a small force, I want it to really have each model feel fairly unique, as the Dogs are a very individualistic and scrapped-together force.

My current thoughts are to use part snap-fit Cultists, part Forge World accessory kits for Chaos models, and part Cadian/Catachans bitz all mingled in to make a real rag-tag group of misfits and vandals. 

What I'm likely to field will be:

10 models with Laspistol/Autopistol and CCW,

10-20 Lasgun/Autogun models,

~3 Heavy Weapons Teams, (probably Autocannons,)

1-2 Sentinels,

Assault-Refitted Chimera,

Commissar,

The Commissar will be the right 'n' proper GW model, and the Chimera a heavily-modified and pretty shabby Hellhound customised with the rear opened up for troop transport. The Weapons Teams will likely be a selection of either Kromlech or Victoria Miniatures weapons teams, as they suit the cheaper, scavenged feel I'll be going for, and the Infantry is actually pretty tough to decide on right now, as I'm trying to find that right "Hive Ganger" look, rather than a Cultist or Penal Guard look. Given that this is a small force, I can afford to spend time customising and converting everything to suit my needs, so I'm okay with a bit of work to get what I need.

I knew Victoria would get a mention :P The chem heads are sold separately and are pretty much made for the Savlar Chem Dogs! Your idea is really cool, they're going to have oodles of character so should be a lot of fun to build and game with :) If you're going to do this much then unless you're going to do a lot of converting I'd steer clear of the cultist snap fits - for something like this you shouldn't scrimp or you'll only regret it.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing your Kill Team come together :D

Those Archer bodies are perfect, love the old duster look they give when painted all leathery! I think I'll use those for the torso + legs, then add the Victoria Mini Chem Heads onto them. Are those the Forge World arms?

Still trying to decide which guns to use, I want to use Autoguns due to the scrappy nature of them. Victoria does a selection, though, so those will do. Also going to use Kromlech's Autocannon and HMG models for Heavy Weapons Teams, as they're a little cheaper, faster shipping, and have the sort of look I'm having for.

I'm going to paint this army rusty as all hell. 

The arms are also from Victoria, I ordered quite a mix and on phone so don't remember exactly, think it was penal legion arms for the shotguns, shaved down praetorian arms for lasguns plus a few gw cultist autoguns

Hope that helps, looking forward to seeing your take on them

I've went for Empire Archers for bodies, managed to snap them up fairly cheap from EBay, got 10 on a sprue. I've got the standard rolled-sleeves arms, as well as half-Autoguns, half-AKs and two Grenade Launchers, alongside the chem-mask heads and a bunch of spare armour plates, pouches and the like from Victoria. Very excited to get onto these soon!

Archived