Painting Tanks Fast...

Ok after deciding to take a large sisters of battle force in a bid to finally get them painted it has sunk in I need to paint a minimum of 8 tanks...

That said I want them done to a high standard but I am working on a deadline, I don't own or use an airgun and the white and reds I do i water down to next to nothing so it goes on smooth.

My sisters of battle are the more traditional Black and Red but I wonder would I be better spraying areas of the tank with the new Blood angels Spray?

If so does anyone knows of a decorators tape which i can get hold of in the UK which will not pull the paint off a tank if I put it on?

I want to try and finish 4 Immolators (excluding the turrets) this friday so I thought it best to ask now.

Any masking tape should be fine, don't forget you can stick it to something a few times before applying it to the model first to reduce the strength (clothing works well). However unless you're adding more than the usual amount of red on the tanks I'm not sure if you'll save all that much time in the long run, it might be more of saving painting effort?

There is some decent sized chunks of red on the tanks and I love the colours being flat and even, if this is the best way to do it I'm 100% behind it.

Not sure how I feel about masking tape however, normally a little strong for my taste and I don't want to get any tape residue on the model.

I am going to be waiting the blank, getting the tione and the hightlights done before washing it and doing the red so I will already bee quite far into the process at this point.

If you've already done much of the detail work then I'd say that suggests not breaking out a spray can. It'd take time to get the tape on properly to prevent bleeding too so it feels like it will be more effort than gain? Whatever you do don't spend too much time thinking about it that both methods become too slow :P When in doubt stick with what you know I reckon :)

Thats the problem though, I am only doing the balck and shading before I do the red, however if I do the red by brush it takes a long time and its watered down so much it pools, bleeds and can take 2 days per tank with 8+ coats and waiting for it to dry plus touch ups.

This is why I need a reliable way to be able to spray certain areas of the tank.

Swear I'm going to buy an air brush. :P

Swear I'm going to buy an air brush. tongue.png

I highly recommend you do, but it will not help with for this project. They take time to get used to. Even then, with the extra mixing and clean up that come with air brushes, you may not always be saving any time on a paint job.

What better motivation to learn than impending doom deadlines? laugh.png Whatever you do it's probably going to be six of one and half a dozen of the other so as I said if you're in doubt stick to what you know and get cracking. Worst comes to it you'll have to put in extra hours or pull a sickie from work, and who hasn't skipped on work to do some hobby? :P

Don't have the funds atm to buy one, got allot to pay for... including an Marauder Destroyer for my sisters. :P

I may when it gets closer to the tournament date and I am still painting, ill because of reasons... Back monday, I feel 4 days is enough for recovery. ;)

I just hope after i do all this paint and pin sisters to new bases they don't change our base size as well. :P

Don't have the funds atm to buy one, got allot to pay for... including an Marauder Destroyer for my sisters. tongue.png

I may when it gets closer to the tournament date and I am still painting, ill because of reasons... Back monday, I feel 4 days is enough for recovery. msn-wink.gif

I just hope after i do all this paint and pin sisters to new bases they don't change our base size as well. tongue.png

Good luck, I had the same issue coming up to a tournament in November so I feel your pain.

Also, I doubt they'd change our bases bc: 1 we're humans that are human sized and 2 they'd have to do work with our boxed sets.

I thought as much on the bases but it would still drive me mad if they did, though that would mean new siisters. ;)

November?... Wish I had that long.

Mines April.

Starting my big paint off tomorrow and the day after, not sure how much will get done tomorrow though as it largely pepends on how drunk i am. :P

I thought as much on the bases but it would still drive me mad if they did, though that would mean new siisters. msn-wink.gif

November?... Wish I had that long.

Mines April.

Starting my big paint off tomorrow and the day after, not sure how much will get done tomorrow though as it largely pepends on how drunk i am. tongue.png

lol. The tournament was the beginning of this past November. I got all my vehicles and half my girls the end of September (B-Day thanks to wife)

Archived