Casual 30K Hobby Challenge - Month 5 - January

Kor'Vesh

So I did some touching up (as it were) and this is (for now!) my finished vow.....

....Ill probably keep tinkering as it isnt at the standard I like but this kit is a hard one to detail well...

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/henrycoll/EC/Speeder.jpg

He's done!

http://i.imgur.com/mxx5yLZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DDlUDEz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gG5Jlqn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Rhx8YnD.jpg

I'm fairly happy. I don't like the guns, they were very rushed and were just boring to paint, and there's bits that could've been neater, but I actually got a pledge done!

I'm as surprised as you are! Well, I'm locked into at least a detachment of SoH yeah :P

I'm still not sure legion wise, I'm going to pick one, and do small allied detachments of the others I like. I think SoH are going to be a detachment legion.

Great to see a completion Fire Golem, it looks really good! Now give him some infantry support :D

This thread is coming down to a photo finish. I can't say that I can accurately estimate the outcome... huh.png

It really is tight! I think we might still see completions from Slipstreams, StruManChu and Zedmeister, and there are certainly a few more traitors who have been quiet in the thread but could still surprise us with completions... loyalist-wise, unless we see a sudden spurt from The Hydra, or Reyner has finally painted his sicaran I wouldn't expect much more movement beyond the aforementioned fists.

Barabbas, that is a nice wolf - good job and glad it didn't come down to time zone! Der_H, I think you've added some nice details to the speeder and it looks great. Lion, great job as usual! I've counted your pledge as fulfilled, but only awarded 8 points rather than 10, seeing as the guns are missing - its tight, and I've done that with previous vows so want to be consistent. Castiel - glad you could get a couple of guys done mate. We have to keep a nice contribution from the XVIIIth!

Kurama - will we get piccys of your termies and Auxillia commander so I can score your points? I believe you, but I've got a feeling that the gap is going to be small so I might have to start being mean!

Attempted to drybrush some wear and tear onto my termiantors. Decent results. Also, did my first coat of Nuln Oil on all the Silver. Now just waiting for it to dry before continuing....

Still need to paint weapons and the Primus Medicae (still dont know what to really do with him yet..)

For shame! Due to a bout of illness this week, I've been set back sad.png My pledge remains unfinished. I will report to the torturer on the way out...

Here's where my pledge stands as of 15 minutes ago:

http://zedmeister.co.uk/resimg/hh/AL-WS-Pledge-310115.jpg

The 10 remaining Alpha Legion are near finished, but that might as well be a mile away at this point. Looks like February will be catchup month

Brethren (and... sisteren?), please accept my most sincere apologies for not really being involved at all this month. My month got shot to pieces a little bit...

But the sons of Dorn are like stone... Unbreaking and unrelenting...

gallery_67188_8872_64079.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_23821.jpg

Up until Thursday evening, I'd done literally nothing since my last progress post which was back on the 12th, so I'm really pleased to have actually managed to get everything completed.

Everyone's work this month has been absolutely stellar. I'm really impressed, and will certainly be stealing some techniques and ideas for my own nefarious hobbying!

Keep it up, you crazy kids!

Just need to finish the weapons and Primus Medicae! Almost done :x 2 hours to go for my deadline.

Edit: Update, just the primus medicae needs to be finished now! SO CLOSE!

Edit2: just need the sepia wash on the PMs parchement to dry and I'm ALLLL done. 

Pics will be a little while after the Deadline though; maybe 5-10 mins :x 

Done! Pictured were a PITA to get off my phone but, I did it!

30kh1

30kh2

30kh3

30kh4

30kh5

30kh6

30kh7

Edit: yeah, that white chainfist blade? I fixed it... Too lazy to retake the pictures.

The Fists always come through! Great work Slipstreams, and fantastic stuff as ever from Stru. I love the MoS. Sorry you've had a rough month man, but amazing work finishing this vow off regardless.

Zed - bad luck getting ill, but your alphas are looking great, you scored some points for Horus, and can nail those guys in February.

Vidius, you should definitely get a pic of that full vow up. That was an unbelievable effort, well done!

Congrats on a stunning month everyone. I'm calling it here. I'll run the numbers and try and do a good write up, but I doubt that'll be done till tomorrow.

January – Post-mortem

Well Fraters – who knew you had it in you? January was rather impressive, with a huge number of completed models and vows, and a really tight contest right till the death. I had a great time watching it all, and with my own contribution, so thanks and congratulations on everyone’s efforts.

We have had 25 completed vows (26 if we count Kurama’s which we haven’t seen all of yet), over 147 models painted, and 332 points scored. It really was a huge performance – over half of our pledged models and points were completed. You know what that means, we have net honour!

But you don’t care about net honour – you want to know who won, and which of us live in shame…

Final scores

Pledges

Traitors 7 – 18* Loyalists

*Kurama finished his, but couldn’t get to a camera in time… I believe you K, but this month I need to be mean! We all know you live in honour.

OK – so in the pledges, it’s a big victory for the loyalist – but they had 25 pledges compared to the traitor’s 12. Proportionally speaking, the Traitors were very close here, and made a hugely impressive effort. The scores, however are where things are more interesting….

Score

Traitors 138 – 188* Loyalists

*199 (damn it) including Kurama’s un-photographed units

It turned out to be quite a big win for the loyalist – but, it was SO close. Until the last two Imperial Fists pledges came in the loyalists were only 3 points ahead! There was every chance that another traitor completion of two could have swayed it. In the end though, you can always rely on those Fists. Importantly both teams broke 100 points, with the traitors a little closer to their maximum possible score.

At this point – before some of you stop reading – I have to congratulate Brother Vidius. He pledged BIG, and delivered. 30 models were painted in Horus’ cause (including 10 tanks… 10 tanks), earning the traitors 90 of their 138 points. Awesome work Vidius!

Progress

OK, so I’m going to try and review everyone’s contributions… bear with me, and be kind if I miss something!

The Traitors - followers of Horus - the heretics, followers of the warp

The Oath Keepers:

Brother Vidius – The IVth Legion Astartes, Iron Warriors. As already mentioned Vidius was a bit of a hero this month, winning 90 points for his team with his Iron warriors. He even added extra hazard stripes for me. In total Vidius painted: 10 Despoilers, 10 Cataphractii including a Warsmith (these were particularly well done in my opinion), a, Spartan assault tank, 4 Rhinos, 3 Predators, a Sicaran Venator, and a Medusa. If I paint that much THIS YEAR I’ll be dead pleased.

Gizur – The XVIth Legion Astartes, Word Bearers. Another amazing performance from Gizur, whose huge Word Bearers army continues to grow. This month we saw even more dead Ultramarines, along with two Praetors, a Moritat, a diabolist, one Gal Vorbak, a Predator and a Vindicator. Two vows and 19 points… how will they cope without you in Feb?

Der_H – The IIIrd Legion Astartes, Emperor’s Children. Dropped-in in the nick of time with a lovely Rouge trade era Land speeder.

Fire Golem – The XVIth Legion Astartes, Sons of Horus. Yes. This isn’t a mistake --- honest. Fire Golem painted. Not only that, he completed his vowed contemptor, with an excellent SoH green and a really good scheme. Great work FG, now keep it up!

Wyvern – The VIIIth Legion Astartes, Night Lords. Wyvern painted a PRIMARCH. The glorious model that is Konrad Curze, the Night Hauter, was completed with a rich blue and iron scheme. Almost certainly he did this just to torment my Vulkan ohmy.png

Raktra (double agent) – The XIth Legion Astartes, Beserkers of Uran: Raktra was pretty busy this month, and able to complete his special character Dorran Kldier for his XIth Legion project. Check out the blood splatter – brual stuff.

The Battle Brothers:

Lukee - The VIIIth Legion Astartes, Night Lords. Couldn’t complete his 5 Man Terror Squad, but painted one of its members to a really his standard. Hopefully we’ll see a lot more soon.

Zedmeister (double agent) – The XXth Legion Astartes. Another double agent, Zed completed five of his 15 Alpha Legionaires (though without guns) with a cool metallic scheme.

The Missing

Sadly, a couple of the traitor team didn’t reappear in the thread. Both Galron, Leonite and Laborer DNA are presumed lost in the warp.

The Loyalists - beloved of the Emperor - the loyal sons

The Oath Keepers:

StruManChu – The VIIth Legion Astartes, Imperial Fists. Stru always comes through… but this month he had me doubting. Still, as always a nice batch of Imperial Fists appeared on the thread at the death (along with Dornian partner in crime Slipstreams) to secure the victory for the loyalists. Stru completed a Master of Signals, 5 Cataphractii and 4 Breachers this month.

Kor’Vesh – The XVIIIth Legion Astartes, Salamanders. This month I broke 10 points. Finally a contribution that matters! I had the pleasure of painting the Primarch Vulkan, and backed him up with a Graviton Rapier and an apothecary. Lots of fun to paint all of these, so thanks for the motivation!

Barabbas Sogolon – The VIth and XVIIIth Legion Astartes, Unification Era (loyalists). Two more marines were added to Barabbas’ force, including a space wolf and a Salamander captain. He didn’t even threaten the deadline, despite enquiring! He’s now returning to his loyalist Death Guard… should be a nice watch!

LionOfJudah – The VIIth Legion Astartes, Imperial Fists – Iron Fists. Lion started out by pledging to build ten marines, but then went ahead and painted them anyway! 10 more tactical marines for Dorn’s ranks!

Jeremy1391 – The XIXth Legion Astartes, Raven Guard. Appeared. Pledged an Aquilla Strong Point, painted it within a day and then was gone. Still a great effort and exceptional Raven Guard-ly behaviour!

Slipstreams – The XVIIIth Legion Astartes, Salamanders and the VIIth Legion Astartes Imperial Fists. This month Slipsteams was goaded into painting his Salamanders heavy flamer cataphractii terminator nice and early by Kurama. He then chilled out watching Sponge-bob for a while, before completing 15 more terminators and a Primus medicae for his Imperial Fists in the last two days. He STILL hasn’t failed a pledge. CLASSY.

Ironwrought Huw – The Xth Legion Astartes, Iron Hands. Vowed small to start, with a single terminator Iron Father, which was painted excellently. After his initial success he got bold, and completed a Land Raider MKII-B, a contemptor and 4 Salamanders support marines. Great work Huw!

Mind of Metal – The Xth Legion Astartes, Iron Hands. Three vows completed by Mind of Metal - first Castramen Orth on foot, 5 Tactical marines and a Thallax. He followed this with two Iron Hands sergeants to finish off his squads, and a very cool mechanicum veltaris trooper conversion (check it out), before finally painting two Ursarax and a Praetor.

Dim Dim ­– The VIIth Legion Astartes, Imperial Fists. Five AMAZING Destroyers. Almost all black, with a few yellow strips here and there, and a really battered look. Check them out!

Owl and Moon Guy – The Xth Legion Astartes, Iron Hands. Hopefully everyone has seen OMG’s plogs and knows how good his painting is. If not just enjoy his Sicaran Venator, Legion Falchion and Castellax that he painted for the challenge in January. 19 points for OMG, and even more for the Iron Xth.

Leoric – The Xth Legion Astartes, Iron Hands. Leoric was able to chip in at the end with 5 Tactical Marines, adding even more to the strong Iron Hands contingent on the boards. They look great too!

Raktra (double agent) – The Xth Legion Astartes, Iron Hands. Raktra continued where he left off 2014, with some serious painting. He completed 4 vows this month, 3 for the loyalists, which included 5 Breachers, our second incarnation of Castramen Orth on foot, and one castellax. He also has nice hair.

The Battle Brothers:

Atia – The XVIIIth Legion Astartes, Salamanders. Atia finally came over to the good side, and completed ten excellent Firedrakes. Unfortunately she couldn’t get around to the five pyroclasts, but the drakes were worth the effort Battle Sister!

Kurama – The XIIth Legion Astartes, Loyalist World Eaters. Was horrifically delayed while waiting for a delivery to Austrailia, so decided to paint a titan while he waited! After completing a Warhound, Kurama finished 5 World Eater’s terminators and a Solar Auxillia Lord Commander, but due to a lack of photos, I couldn’t quite stick him in the Oath Keepers! (Sorry!)

Castiel – The XVIIIth Legion Astartes, Salamanders. Painted up a Cataphractii praetor, and tactical sergeant, but the rest of his vow got away from him. Keep fighting for Vulkan Borther!

The Neophytes:

The Hydra – The Solar Auxillia. Hydra pledged HUGE for his new Solar Auxillia army. He managed to build the majority of it, but with no completed paint jobs he is a neophyte for January.

Zedmeister (double agent) – The Vth Legion Astartes, White Scars. Zed moved his White Scars breachers along a little this month, but sadly couldn’t finish any off for the loyalist cause.

The Missing:

Reyner – The IVth Legion Astartes, Loyalist Iron Warriors. That Sicaran (Ghost of Iron) really is illusive!

Stormborn ­– The VIIth Legion Astartes, Imperial Fists. Made some progress on his Imperial Fists centurion, but pulled of the challenge this month. Hopefully we’ll see you back soon!

That’s it guys. Awesome month, thanks for all of your effort. Let see if we can get anywhere near for February!

Kor’Vesh

I'll post it tonight hopefully I'm really flat out with the new construction project

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/Mobile%20Uploads/20150203_100429_zpsz9qhazme.jpg

3 months to raise a bridge refurbish bearings and reconstruct the pylons just finished the scaffold and im spending all day with an oxy torch and sledgehammer so I've been crashing hard after work

But I'll photograph all of my :cuss hopefully tonight

Archived