Dragging the guard back out - Ogryn chop shop pg 13

SW1

The wife wasn't impressed this morning when I still had the table covered in models. :D

Better pics to be had once a coffee has been consumed (school run without my usual wake up juice wasn't fun).

Really want to work out the rough points value of what I've got and then I think it's all going to go into some jars to strip. But might be an idea to keep a platoon in a certain jar rather than just dumping them in. I've not actually had a game in this version of 40k yet so may actually be leaning towards picking up the codex.

There's quite a few interesting models left over which I think might get stuck into an inquisition war band/retinue. My old Inquisitor in TDA turned up with his paint intact which is a surprise.

I've also found more bits including lots of plastic bodies and backpacks for the old plastic storm troopers. They're just missing their guns so may have to see if they can be re-produced probably by press mould as there's no way I'm not going to use them!

I also need to locate all my old metal Ogryns as I must have 20+ of the big fellas knocking around somewhere (they used to be great at bogging down nasty marine squads and even coming out ontop).

I've also got quite a few of the old metal female Catachan grenade launchers somewhere. Many years ago I used to sift through all the clam packs in each of the local GWS stores and whenever they turned up bought them. I've seen them go on ebay for double figures but reckon they'd be better off looking nice mixed in with a few Eshers in my Catachan's.

Question:

If I'm not putting heavy weapons into the infantry squads would you keep the squads as all flashlights or have a special weapon in the mix? If you were to add a special weapon what would it be?

Quite the treasure trove indeed, especially with the female GL model! Probably no point to keeping all the squads together, I'd go by model type and keep the Guard, Esher etc in together.

As for infantry squads if you don't give them a HWT then they'll need a special weapon. Otherwise a few lasguns is a bit lacklustre and when you can buy an effective weapon for a mere 5 points it seems silly not to. As such my squads almost always have either a flamer or grenade launcher. Flamers are my preference as they're reliable weapons and match the infantry's anti-personnel role but grenade launchers provide some useful flexibility.

Here's some better pics.

My favourite rubbish conversions are my demo charges. Which as you can see is just some left over spacing bits from inside the workings of the old school leman russ kit with a hand stuck in the hole:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps300a75e1.jpg

The shotgun Veteran squads:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps26f50292.jpg

The Catachan/Orlock/Goliath/Esher platoons:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9d66770b.jpg

The other more mixed platoons:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7b6c89ac.jpg

Inspired use of the wheels from the old Russ kit, it works well - the packs should be cumbersome given how short the throw distance can be :P You have a great collection, just need to paint them all up!

Cheers. I just wanted something that looked like you had to prime it before it'd go off.

The solid single piece metal models will be getting chucked into jars of dettol and get shaken a few times a day for a week or three. The ones with multiple parts/converted will need a bit more care so I'll do them a bit less roughly. I might even find some of the missing models in the jars currently sat with stuff in them. ;)

Hmmm ... Some of the inspiration found floating around on this old part of the forum for the IG is amazing.

Just came across this thread:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/300624-astra-militarum-as-a-private-military-contractor/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3914794

It hit so many chords with my picture of the mishmashed force of troops with a mixture of lasguns, autoguns, shotguns in my collection.

Really wanting to get this started now. :D

I'm even working separately on a gaming board that's meant to have a spaceship/forge look to it.

Here's the latest on the board ...

Here's some scale pics:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdda4b894.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4c944642.jpg

And the thread can be found here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/289269-sw1s-scenery-project-finally-a-wall-section/page-7?do=findComment&comment=3914499

Really well made... very cool indeed your batreps are going to sing ;)

Lol ... Only if I get some games in. My main 40k opponent has just hit the hobby wall and crashed. I'm hoping making some good quality terrain will help entice him back into gaming. So I've got a double reason to do a good job. ;)

They'll be rolling out the 32mm bases to all the marine kits in power armour as time goes by. I've yet to actually re-start the different PA armies I've got knocking about, so though it would be worthwhile just biting the bullet now regarding bases.

It's a bit like TDA used to come on 25mm now they don't. There's nothing wrong with putting the old lead TDA's on 25mm but try doing that with the newer plastics and you'll be accused of modelling for advantage. Over time the community at large will move over to the new base size and either armies will be retired or re-based. I give it 12 - 18 months maybe at a push 24 months before it starts becoming an issue for the veteran players/collectors.

Anyway I'm now trying to decide who's going to lead my merry little band of space adventurers. Will he be a cunning little weasel leading from the rear or some inspiring lion of a leader always right up in the thick of it.

Interestingly out of the short list of models I have to choose from there's a few female models which might make the final cut.

Well I've managed to separate just over 100 of the pile of models from their bases. Still working through them to get them stripped ASAP. Then the fun can begin.

Thinking of doing a dark black/grey with dulled metals for the old school storm troopers. Not sure on the rest yet. Though I have been pondering new brushes while in work today which is the closest I've been to painting since the last ETL. :D

Paint brushes are ordered. So I need to have models ready to paint by the time they arrive.

Thinking of doing white armour in the style of star wars for the Arbites.

Went for some red sable with some extra comfortable handles from rosemary and co. Maybe not on par with the top end W&N etc but much better than the ones from GWS. Once I get back into painting properly then I'll go and get some more expensive ones when I work out which ones I use the most.

I think that sounds awesome. IG hasn't change terribly much since all versions of our dex have basically been "...finds what you like...take lots of it...repeat until enemy is destroyed." Squads in Chimeras have always been good and the Russ is going through something of a renaissance. Massed infantry tactics got a big boon in the form of orders and easily accessible blessings.

Welcome back into the fold.

Some of these statements require qualification. The "Russ Reinassance" (I like that) involves the previously poor variants like Vanquishers, Punishers and Eradicators being cheap enough to be worth tanking, while the old standby Battle Tanks and Demolishers are now sub-optimal choices.

Paint brushes are ordered. So I need to have models ready to paint by the time they arrive.

Thinking of doing white armour in the style of star wars for the Arbites.

Wow ... Brushes arrived this morning less than 24 hours after ordering them!

Need to scramble the model prep!!!

Archived