Favourite Variants?

Joasht

Greetings all!

The Guard have quite a few vehicle chassis with variants: Leman Russes, Valkyries/Vendettas, Hellhounds et al., Baneblades et al.

I'm curious; for each of them, which is your favourite variant, and why? I'm particularly fascinated with the Fast Attack Hellhound chassis and superheavies, since I don't perceive they are spoken about nearly as much as the others.

Thanks!

The Leman Russ will always hold a special place in my heart. I've jumped around armies a lot during my time playing 40k. IG (and Knights) are my current army but my first three were:

IG

Grey Knights w/ IG Allies (always including a Russ)

Space Wolves (back when they could take an Exterminator)

Notice a theme. Its a squat, fat little chassis loaded to the teeth with guns and with armor thicker than my gun.

With that in mind, I refer to the Baneblade as the Russ+. Guess what I think about it...

As for the hellhound chassis...it's gotta be the hellhound itself...move 12" and lay the point of the template 12" away?  It's a heavy flamer with a 30" threat instead of 8"...in a game where people like to stash cheap troops in cover on objectives, it's a beast!  It's also not bad for zooming up in the face of a land raider and making it drive around wasting inches...

theme wise (and conversion wise) i absolutely love my vanquishers. i don't have a single other tanks that i find cooler than those extended long barrels (my extended barrels measure nearly 5", so longer barrels such as those seen on german WWII tank destroyers).

the second place goes to the new wyverns,although i yet have to buy the actuall model, i've proxied them on a multitude of occasions and absolutley love their performance.

The third place gets stolen by my chimeras, the beloved APC's.

on the 4th place comes the basilisk/medusa, since i love converting them to include an armoured comparment. the plain out of the box setup-not so much.

on the last place come the hellhound variants and the superheavies.

My main problem with the basilisk and all hellhound variants is their pointcost. They just cost too much now that the leman russ chasis got such a point reduction. see, a hellhound costs the same as an eradicator, which both have a pretty similar damage output profile, but the eradicator has so much more armour. The only advandages a hellhound offers are mainly that it's a fast attack slot (still a bit less contested than our heavy support slots), and that it's fast (which the eradicator can somewhat negate due to it's range). as it stands now there's no stop filler tank between the ultracheap wyverns/ hydras and the >120pts tanks (hellhounds, basilisks, russes). If GW had put those hellhounds and basilisks at 20 points less a lot of people would field them more often i believe!

Yeah the classic Hellhound is the best as it's so reliable. Solid medium armour and fast with a pretty good range I've lost count of the number of times they've barbecued their way through enemy assault waves or defensive lines for me. For the Russ I think the Eradicator is great for yet more infantry killing power, for the price it is very potent but you can't beat the standard Russ for versatility along with the Demolisher's raw power.

For super heavies it must be the Baneblade as it's basically a super Russ and how can you not like that? A gun for pretty much any eventuality!

I love the Hellhound and hold a special place in my heart for the Devildog. "Optimum builds" be damned, that Melta Cannon has saved me from many a scary AV14 threat. Being able to react to any tough AV tank within 24" and get that 2D6 Penetration roll is invaluable.

As far as Leman Russes? The LRBT is probably my favourite, though Pask always rides in the Punisher. Demolishers are fun, and a cheap Eradicator with Heavy Bolters is always handy against Xeno armies.

Also the Wyvern is just filthily-good for its points value, and who doesn't love the Vendetta! (My opponents, probably.)

In spite of the over-nerfing of the D weapon (I would have capped Invuls at 5+ and disallowed cover, D WEAPONS BLOW HOLES IN STARHIPS), I still say Shadowsword for a superheavy...with all four sponsons and the hull heavy bolter.

Yeah, there's nothing else in the Baneblades' variants that can still one-bang a Carnifex or Riptide like the Shadowsword. Provided neither has a decent Cover or Invuln Save, at least.

for that my vanquishers take 15 pts beast hunter shells(oh how i hate these not being a codex option to make vanquishers more viable!), not a lord of war tank!tongue.png

Yeah, there's nothing else in the Baneblades' variants that can still one-bang a Carnifex or Riptide like the Shadowsword. Provided neither has a decent Cover or Invuln Save, at least.

for that my vanquishers take 15 pts beast hunter shells(oh how i hate these not being a codex option to make vanquishers more viable!), not a lord of war tank!tongue.png

I really should look into a copy of IA1, but I'm unsure whether it'll be updated soon. :/

I really should look into a copy of IA1, but I'm unsure whether it'll be updated soon. :/

indeed you must! pirate.gif

I'm a huge fan of the Valkyrie chassis, as it's the model that pushed me to starting my WH40k career with the IG. Roughly 5000pts and 3 Valk models later, I still love them, both as models in their own right, as units in the game. laugh.png

After that, every single tank that's a bit...crazy, so to speak. Punishers, Bane Wolfs, Wyverns. The most brutal variants out there are the ones I love the most. cool.png

I'm a huge fan of the Valkyrie chassis, as it's the model that pushed me to starting my WH40k career with the IG. Roughly 5000pts and 3 Valk models later, I still love them, both as models in their own right, as units in the game. laugh.png

God Valkyries. They'd be in every list if they weren't such a pain to transport!

Archived