[3,000] Alpha Legion OD-Argos, 27b/6

Hesh Kadesh

HQ

Observer-General Davide Fawne, Captain-Resident of OD-Argos 27b/6; Praetor, Paragon Blade, Digital Lasers, Meltabombs, Boarding Shield = 155pts (Mutable Tactics; Infiltrate, Rite of War; Price of Treason)

Siege Breaker Consul; 2 Phosphex Bombs, Cataphractii Terminator Armour = 150pts

Elites

Legion Veteran Squad, 5 Addtional Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, 2 Volkite Chargers, Veteran Sergeant with Combi-Melta, Rhino with Combi-Melta = 275pts (Veteran Tactics; Sniper)

Legion Veteran Squad, 5 Addtional Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, 2 Volkite Chargers, Veteran Sergeant with Combi-Melta, Rhino with Combi-Melta = 275pts (Veteran Tactics; Sniper)

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad, 2 Chainfists, Land Raider Proteus, Explorator Augury Web, Armoured Ceramite = 575pts

Legion Contemptor-Mortis, Two Kheres Assault Cannons = 180pts

Troops

Legion Tactical Squad, 5 Additional Legion Space Marines, Nuncio Vox = 210pts

Legion Tactical Squad = 150pts

Legion Tactical Squad = 150pts

Fast Attack

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod = 100pts

Heavy Support

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship, Reaper Autocannon Battery = 210pts

Legion Artillery Squadron; 1x Legion Medusa, Phosphex Rounds, Twin-linked Bolter = 160pts

For anyone who is wondering where OD-Argos 27b/6 came from, and Davide Fawne, If you've ever seen the "pay with a spider" which hit the net a few years ago, you'll see it's from the website. Argos was the supposed location of the Lernaean Hydra, and OD-Argos came from ODA - Operational Detachment Alpha with a code number, a team of special forces dropped in early during the recent Afghanistan conflict. 27b/6 is the name of David Thorne's site - and it's particularly appropriate, as my opponent's name is Simon (and yes, he does know about David Thorne, I made sure he knows biggrin.png). I can relate a lot to his snark.

The larger of the Tactical Squads and the Dreadnought deploy via Dreadclaw. The two tactical squads deploy as normal (Infiltrating). The Land Raider Proteus has Scout, while the Siege Terminators deploy via Infiltrate, joined by the Siege Breaker and the Praetor - Infiltrating Tank Hunters to kill lighter vehicles (split fire). This leaves only the Medusa deploying normally - which is able to get Line of Sight via the Deep Struck Nuncio Vox.

With 5 Scoring units (unless in error, Siege Terminator Squads don't have Implacable Advance), all deep in the enemies face from Turns 1 and 2 onwards. 2 Fire Raptors to shred infantry, as does the Medusa. The alternative list included a second Medusa, dropping the originals Twin-linked Bolter and the Siege Breaker - or maybe taking a Spartan with a Flare Shield for the additional Lascannons.

Looking at it as a Non-Alpha Player, yeah it looks pretty damn good. Shame you're paying 300 points for Pods though.

If anything your list might be lacking in LoW killing potential and having one lone artillery unit.

It was kind of upsetting when I double checked and realised that the Drop Pods were an Orbital Assault Rite of War only asset. Otherwise, that would be another 195pts to spend. The trick is what to fill those points with. I'd considered a 4 Man Sky Hunter squad with a Multi-melta and Meltabombs (200pts), dropping the additional TL'd Bolter to make space, but obviously, that's not meant to be.

In regards to Lords of War - they're not really a problem due to the local meta - we tend to play Apocalypse and multiplayer a bit more, and it's a rare game when we otherwise play. One of my regular allies (and opponents) plays with a Head of the Gorgon with 4 units of Outflanking Graviton Guns, and I have a Glaive being built. In such games, there is just so much Melta that each Lord of War has Ceramite Armour - so melta isn't really that effective. It does suffer from not having much Haywire, though. Against vehicle heavy forces, I'd probably put the 3 Tactical Squads in the Anvillus and use the Reroll from the Proteus to come on later so that they're facing less firepower.

Hmmmm well, since you said there isn't much Haywire in your area and an abundance of LoW with Armored Ceramite where possible the obvious contenders to remedy that little problem would be:

Contemptor Dread with 2 DCCW & Graviton Guns; for 195 not possible :p but being a relentless platform, 2 Haywire shots then charging with fleet and hitting with S10 AP2 should permit you to deal a decent amount of damage. Bonus points if you take a Chainfist with Graviton. Could be an option if you up the points.

And honestly, with 2 Fire Raptors having a Mortis isn't really all that needed despite the amount of dakka it can bring with Twin Kheres mostly because you have, well, 2 fire raptors. :p

Graviton Raipiers; pretty self explanatory if you ask me.

Sicarian Venator. Naked its 195 points but you're full on Heavy Support. Its also rather fragile and doesn't have a turret but, should it get its shot off and get a Pen, those super heavies will be Snap Shooting.

I can't get Graviton Tac Supports to work in my mind. The Weapon being Heavy 1 and of rather short range kills it for me. Not to mention they're way pricier than a Suicide Melta Squad.

If you could drop a pod (huehuehue) you could take a Primaris Lightning loaded up with Haywire as a dedicated Super Heavy nuker.

Beyond that, I can't really think of anything else in the 250 points range.

Since you've said that you play team games, you could tailor your list to a specific role such as Elites / Super Heavies Hunting; something that is perfectly in line with Alpha Legion Doctrine. Whilst your allies can focus on armor and infantry.

Things like a 7/10 man Seeker Squad with Combi-Plas in a Pod/rhino (yeah; two Fast Attack slots but it frees up an elites if you take them over Tac Vets) can easily erase their points or more in, say, terminator squads or other such units than your, if I may say so, confused Tac Vets. Granted 10 Seekers with 10 Combi-Plas and nuncio-vox will run you 350 points before any other upgrades so it may not be the best solution :p Though they have scout standard and infiltrate as a potential bonus with AL rules it may just make up for the lack for the Drop Pods precision deep strikes.

Uhhh....what else...

Jetbikes could work but I'd run them at minimum in a squad of 6 for 2 Special weapons. What those are is up to you, really.

I mean, honestly, Tacs in infiltrating Rhinos are just as good if not better than the Avillus pods since they're saving you 75 points per squad. An extra 150 just by switching over to Rhinos. Something worth considering.

You're over capacity of the Anvillus for the large tac squad by 5. Other than that looks pretty solid overall. If you do take a Lightning give it x4 Kraken Pen misiles. 4 S8 AP1 Armourbane missiles will do better than a single Haywire bomb

Tyrant Siege Terminators do not have Implacable Advance.

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pods only have a troop capacity of 10.

10 man Legion Tactical Squads? With no Vexilla? They won't hold objectives for long.

Rhinos are first blood material. The sardine tin is easily opened and your boys will get cut to ribbons.

Take a Power Dagger for your Praetor and Siege Breaker.

Small units of Thallaxi will put your army in your deployment zone.

Seriously, no Thudd Guns?

I like the dual Fire Raptors.

Why is everyone saying take the Power Dagger? With a Boarding Shield, I cannot claim the additional attack, meaning its only use is for hoping for a Rend against 2+ Saves (when I have an AP2 Paragon Blade already) or against AV12 vehicles which I can't harm with my Paragon Blade - yet I have a Meltabomb for such occasions.

My mistake on the Anvillus Pods - I shall have to run a 10 Man squad instead with the Vox. I'm going to drop the Medusa, Siege Breaker and Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad - although I will be keeping the Land Raider Proteus (incidentally, for those who were wondering, the Terminators were being Infiltrated while the Proteus Scouted - it was for economy of FoC slot reasons) - this saves me 615pts, but the Proteus now becomes a heavy.

With these changes, the army looks like;

Praetor

Vet Squad

Vet Squad

Contemptor

15x Tacs

10x Tacs, Nuncio

10x Tacs

Anvillus

Anvillus

Anvillus

Fire Raptor

Fire Raptor

Proteus

The Nuncio is used so that I can deep strike my Fire Raptors, but I'd like to get some use out of it - and hence, using the Achilles in a Squadron with the Proteus, it gets to Scout (Scout requires only one model to do so). Upgrading that to a Command Tank gives me a 24" radius reroll bubble, but drops me down to 115pts to play with as it requires a third tank - a Proteus gives me a third AV14 vehicle. Although in a squadron, Machine Spirit allows me free targeting.

With 115pts to play with, I need a use for my Praetor, though. I'm not using the Rite of War (but I did enjoy saying *nope* to reserves with the possible -3 if I rolled the correct trait), so switching to Pride of the Legion gives me the ability to take Terminators as troops, switching out the 15 man squad - that's 315pts to spend. If I dropped the Rhinos, that's another 90pts to spend so 395pts. I can't give the Praetor a Dagger (or rather, there's no point, as said earlier - while 7 AP2 attacks would be nice, I'll settle with *just* 6 on the charge - while if I get charged (I have a World Eaters player with a 20 man unit with BP+CCW), reducing incoming attacks by a potential 40 swings it more in my favour.

I'm considering with those additional points;

Primus Medicae, Terminator Armour, Power Axe, Combi-Bolter, Narthecium, Needle Pistol = 120pts

Legion Terminator Squad, Terminator Armour, 2 Additional Terminators, Plasma Blaster, 2 Chainfists, 1 Powerfist, 4 Power Swords = 275pts

These would be joined by the Praetor, and deploy forwards, where their "in your face" nature rammed down the enemies throat hopefully draws some heavier firepower. They go for the big heavy vehicles like Spartans from turn 2 onwards, where they put their 2 Chainfists and a Meltabomb to good use.

Alternatively

Apothecary, Powersword = 55

20 Legion Tacticals, Bolter, BP+CCW, Nuncio, Vexilla, Powerfist, Power Dagger, Artificer Armour = 340

Gives me an attacking unit. 

Of all of them, I like the look of the Terminators the most, but I'm open to suggestions.

HQ

Observer-General Davide Fawne, Captain-Resident of OD-Argos 27b/6; Praetor, Paragon Blade, Digital Lasers, Meltabombs, Boarding Shield = 155pts (Mutable Tactics; Infiltrate, Rite of War; Pride of the Legion)

Primus Medicae Consul; Terminator Armour, Power Sword, Combi-Bolter, Narthecium, Needle Pistol = 120pts

Elites

Legion Contemptor-Mortis, Two Kheres Assault Cannons = 180pts

Troops

Legion Tactical Squad, Nuncio Vox = 160pts

Legion Tactical Squad, Legion Vexilla = 160pts

Legion Veteran Squad, 5 Addtional Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, 2 Meltaguns = 230pts (Veteran Tactics; Sniper)

Legion Veteran Squad, 5 Addtional Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, 2 Meltaguns = 230pts (Veteran Tactics; Sniper)

Legion Terminator Squad, Terminator Armour, 2 Additional Members, 1 Plasma Blaster, 2 Chainfists, 1 Powerfist, 4 Power Swords = 275pts

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

Legion Land Raider Battle Squadron = 770pts

- Land Raider Achilles, Command Tank

- Land Raider Proteus, Explorator Augury Web

- Land Raider Proteus

= 3000pts

With this, I have a Drop Pod for the Kheres and the 10 Man Tactical Squad with Nuncio Vox coming down on the first turn, while the Veterans piggyback in the Scouting Land Raider Proteus' before popping out and unleashing close range Sniper Bolter fire or target any vehicle which is unlikely to be shielded by Armoured Ceramite, while the Machine Spirit allows the 3 different tanks to engage a total of 4 different targets, including allowing the Thudd Gun to fire in barrage mode using the Nuncio squad as LoS. The Terminators infiltrate, and move as close as they can, looking for vehicles to punch. If any enemy unit does get ideas to charge, the Defensive Grenades from the shield cuts them out, while the large numbers of at Initiative AP2 and AP3 attacks should give pause for any none-2+ Save units.

Later turns has the Fire Raptors coming in, as does the final Anvillus - either carrying the squad of Vexilla Tactical marines, or having them outflank, and then hop through cover until they can get to their objective and sit on it out of the way without being too obvious. Mid game, the Anvillus are used for rapid redeployment of scoring Power Armoured models.

You don't take the Power Dagger for the rending, you take it for the +1 attack on characters equipped with a special weapon like the Paragon Blade. You have now explained why you're taking the Boarding Shield and that is fair enough.

You cannot stick the 10 man Legion Veteran Squad in the Proteus with the Explorator Augury Web. It has a reduced troop capacity of 8.

Whilst the Proteus is cheap, without armoured ceramite it is still vunerable to melta weapons. Part of what makes AV14 spam so scary is armoured ceramite plus flare shields.

The Terminator squad is begging to get rained on by 20 man Legion Tactical squads with Fury of the Legion and Thudd Guns. Helix Pattern Mortars will also make a quick mess of the squad and without Eternal Warrior, that also means instant death to both HQ choices. That's 500+ points including your Warlord that will get punished quickly.

Archived