Answer to thunderwolf star

So with a new 2k tournament cropping up for myself I am becoming warey of the usual suspects who are top tier players and frequent the northern tournament scene.

For the most part part they are eldar and space wolf players, space wolves being drop lists with thunder wolf Death Stars, however due to them closing fast I can not really on my shooting to deal with them all before combat.

That said as a solid assault conter I intended to have a thunder hammer, eternal shield, artificer armour chapter master in a squad of Repentia in a SR with Jacobus.

The question is though I will get the charge is this enough?

I have not had to face thunderwolf stars as it's normally drop lists I expect from them.

You need more Repentia than you can legally fit in a squad, I believe, unless you can get the Chapter Master to tank all the incoming hits.

Thunderwolves tend to have pesky 3++ invuns though, which kind of makes Repentia sad.

A second Priest in the squad might help if you have the transport capacity - rerolls to hit and save are good, rerolls to hit, wound and save are better. ;)

I must say that I never faced a TW Star yet, so be patient. But against pretty much all other Deathstar, I found that this works well :

1 Xenos Inquisitor /w Rad/Psy Grenades /w Psyker (to get Hammerhand, Vortex or ameliorate the invul save) /w the relic to get counter-attack

2 Munistorium Priest

3 Crusader

6 Death Cult Assassin

290 pts

If you do get Counter-attack, then either on the charge or not, you get 24A at S4 against T4 (because of the Grenade) at I6 with a general WS of 5. They will always get a reroll to hit, and a good chance to get a reroll to wound. After that, you have 3 Storm Shield with reroll 3++ in front. 

If you are VERY lucky (i.e. psychic stuff), you can give them Hammerhand for wounding on 2+, or having a 2++ reroll on the Crusaders. 

Plus, you can also run a fun thing on the grenade, like having the TWC having only 1 attack each while you auto-hit; rerolling to hit (which you already have on the first turn if the priest are still alive); having them at LD 2; having them at I1 (which gives your Crusader and Inquisitor some extra attack before they go); having them hit themselves with an Ini test. 

All in all, it's quite cheap for what it does. Of course, it crumbles down to range firepower, which the SM Chapter Master doesn't do. Yet it still packs a punch in CC. 

In theory, you are gonna do 3W (or 4.5W if you decided to reroll to W) at I6 without Hammerhand or any effect on the grenade. They are gonna do 3.333W (so the three Crusader) if you didn't decided to reroll the invul save. Of course that doesn't count the Characters, but we did not count the Grenade or Psychic Power on our side too. 

Stick them in a SR or LR and you got something. 

Your squad is 485 without transport, this one is 290, but much less efficient since it will be able to kill one pack, maybe withstand another one, but it's gonna die in the end. Yours will be able to withstand alot since the CM will take +- 2W per round of CC, which can be redistributed among the FNP Repentia, especially with the 5++ from Jacobus. 

If you try the CM thing, let us know how it worked. 

EDIT : If everything goes perfect, you could almost wipe one squad in the first CC phase. You will auto-hit with the grenade, giving them only 1A, and with hammerhand you can wound on 2+ reroll, which effectivly +- grants you auto-wound also. That means 24W, which grant 4 dead TWC before they attack. Of course that means alot of ''if'', but it's a plausible scenario, depending on how it goes. The strenght of this Inquisitorial deathstar is the reroll : reroll is the greatest feature of 40k, and so with a reroll to hit, to wound and to invul save, you really help yourself. 

You need more Repentia than you can legally fit in a squad, I believe, unless you can get the Chapter Master to tank all the incoming hits.

Thunderwolves tend to have pesky 3++ invuns though, which kind of makes Repentia sad.

A second Priest in the squad might help if you have the transport capacity - rerolls to hit and save are good, rerolls to hit, wound and save are better. ;)

Well the squad has 10 repentia, Jacobus and a CM in artificer armour.

They will both hit at ap 2 and high strength so we are all going last pretty much but most their unit has 18 wounds.

A storm raven transports 12 so that is enough for this squad size.

David I do like the grenade option on inquisitors and I was already trying to see if I could fit tone to lower toughness, being able to instant death the wolves does help.

I must say that I never faced a TW Star yet, so be patient. But against pretty much all other Deathstar, I found that this works well :

1 Xenos Inquisitor /w Rad/Psy Grenades /w Psyker (to get Hammerhand, Vortex or ameliorate the invul save) /w the relic to get counter-attack

2 Munistorium Priest

3 Crusader

6 Death Cult Assassin

290 pts

If you do get Counter-attack, then either on the charge or not, you get 24A at S4 against T4 (because of the Grenade) at I6 with a general WS of 5. They will always get a reroll to hit, and a good chance to get a reroll to wound. After that, you have 3 Storm Shield with reroll 3++ in front. 

If you are VERY lucky (i.e. psychic stuff), you can give them Hammerhand for wounding on 2+, or having a 2++ reroll on the Crusaders. 

Plus, you can also run a fun thing on the grenade, like having the TWC having only 1 attack each while you auto-hit; rerolling to hit (which you already have on the first turn if the priest are still alive); having them at LD 2; having them at I1 (which gives your Crusader and Inquisitor some extra attack before they go); having them hit themselves with an Ini test. 

All in all, it's quite cheap for what it does. Of course, it crumbles down to range firepower, which the SM Chapter Master doesn't do. Yet it still packs a punch in CC. 

In theory, you are gonna do 3W (or 4.5W if you decided to reroll to W) at I6 without Hammerhand or any effect on the grenade. They are gonna do 3.333W (so the three Crusader) if you didn't decided to reroll the invul save. Of course that doesn't count the Characters, but we did not count the Grenade or Psychic Power on our side too. 

Stick them in a SR or LR and you got something. 

Your squad is 485 without transport, this one is 290, but much less efficient since it will be able to kill one pack, maybe withstand another one, but it's gonna die in the end. Yours will be able to withstand alot since the CM will take +- 2W per round of CC, which can be redistributed among the FNP Repentia, especially with the 5++ from Jacobus. 

If you try the CM thing, let us know how it worked. 

EDIT : If everything goes perfect, you could almost wipe one squad in the first CC phase. You will auto-hit with the grenade, giving them only 1A, and with hammerhand you can wound on 2+ reroll, which effectivly +- grants you auto-wound also. That means 24W, which grant 4 dead TWC before they attack. Of course that means alot of ''if'', but it's a plausible scenario, depending on how it goes. The strenght of this Inquisitorial deathstar is the reroll : reroll is the greatest feature of 40k, and so with a reroll to hit, to wound and to invul save, you really help yourself.

Also worth saying before I foget, my unit was 470, still not too shabby.

How to beat Thunderwolves....bring your own. 

Its way easier to keep them busy with a similar unit than to try and beat them.

Don't really want to join them, I want to beat them, besides that unit is a huge points sink.

I believe that TWC are S6 so you wont be getting your FnP and especially if you add other characters in.

Ive run a max Repentia unit with Jacobus as my Warlord and 4 other Priests, one with Litanies and the other had the Mace... If you can get enough shots and firepower into the Wolves you can usually either kill most or all off in one turn once the Repentia get stuck in.

My personal choice would be a squad of 10 Death Cult Assassins and 2 priests with litanies.  While the wolves are out of combat, pour fire into them from bolters (or exorcists).  The wolf player will want to get them into combat, because that is what they do, but also because the longer he waits the more he is getting shot.

Once he's in range charge in your battle conclave.  Dead Thunderwolves will occur soon after.

Was not sure if they were strength 5 or what.

Strength 6 mounts are impressive considering they could glance dreads to death in combat like that... Sound legit. :P

I was hoping the CM would make up an extra power needed for the fight, helping tank on him and using the Orbital Bombardment on the way in.

With luck thaat will cause a wound or two as well.

I've faced that deathstar before and as previously indicated the conclave can deal with it fairly easilly.

I actually allied mine from Codex Inquisition.

Coteaz, 3 crusaders, 5-6 death cults and 2-3 priests in a land raider crusader with psybolt ammo.

Wolve star will not want to be anywhere close to that thing so you can dictate where he moves them and if he gets anywhere close, they are dead. 

For bonus fun, roll on telepathy for Coteaz. If you get Invisibility, it's pretty much an auto-win combat.

Archived