Best tactical squad chapter tactics?

templargdt

Anyone have any thoughts on the best chapter tactics for tactical squads?  Some random thoughts:

- White Scars (hit and run is awesome, plus scout with your Rhino with Khan)

- Carcharodons (Bolter, BP, CCW and rage so you are much better in assault)

- Red Scorpions (FNP for better durability)

- Sentinels of Terra (twinlinked bolters at half range, not just a one time only for the UM.)

Thanks!

I vote SoT, but only if (like I do) you prefer to drive or drop 10 man squads agressively into the enemy's face.

I'd also put in a good word for Raven Guard's Scout. Scouting tac squads in Rhinos is really powerful and gives them enormous versitility in deploying and seizing territory.

I'd also put in a good word for Raven Guard's Scout. Scouting tac squads in Rhinos is really powerful and gives them enormous versatility in deploying and seizing territory.

I would be inclined to agree with this but if you are looking at the usage of tacticals without also including jump units, Raptors have it much better than the lower-mid tier RG tactics. They get scout + rending bolters if they don't move. I think UM, Red Scorps, SoT, and the sharks have the best chapter tactics for tactical spam.

I like the Salamanders CT. 1) I run flamers in my go-to tactical backbone; 2) I like power weapons on my sergeants (since they always get into combat at some point at the range they operate) and MC makes them that much better; 3) Pellas Mir'san is a dead ringer for a captain's fluff I've been using since 3rd edition.

Otherwise, Imperial Fists, White Scars, Mantis Warriors and Ultramarine CT see use from me too.

Imperial Fist cause lots of bolters is missing 16% of the time is nice.

Raptors because of the Rending Bolters. Besides if you use thier CM you can Infiltrate 3 units and he is basically a one model Sternguard Squad

Anyone have any thoughts on the best chapter tactics for tactical squads?  Some random thoughts:

- White Scars (hit and run is awesome, plus scout with your Rhino with Khan)

- Carcharodons (Bolter, BP, CCW and rage so you are much better in assault)

- Red Scorpions (FNP for better durability)

- Sentinels of Terra (twinlinked bolters at half range, not just a one time only for the UM.)

Thanks!

Ultramarines, Calgar Ultramarines, Khan White Scars, Raven Guard, Raptors are the best. IF, SoT, Red Scorpions, IH, Exorcists, and Star Phantoms are also pretty good.

Carcharodons are terrible. I play them anyway, though.

I'm a sucker for the SoT Chapter Tactics personally. Tac Squads only really do two things with any degree of success, anti infantry and objective holding. SoT tactics and Drop Pods help them achieve both of those roles more successfully.

Carcharodons are terrible. I play them anyway, though.

Are they really that bad. I wanted to start a chapter that used their tactics. Is being able to take a cheap CCW that terrible? I know fear is the biggest joke in existence since everyone and their mother ignores it someway or other but rage after beating something seems handy.

Are they really that bad. I wanted to start a chapter that used their tactics. Is being able to take a cheap CCW that terrible? I know fear is the biggest joke in existence since everyone and their mother ignores it someway or other but rage after beating something seems handy.

They work just fine if you don't try to play a fluffy build, or if your area is more assault-friendly. The problem with fluffy lists is that you have to take LC Terminators, and if you're really fluffy, IA10 mentions Devastators, shows Assault Marines, Missile Launchers, and a shooting Terminator, as well as a Land Raider with SB pintle. Those are all really bad/mediocre units and loadouts.

If you play something like Grav Centurion Carcharodons or whatever, they're just fine. The 1 point CCW is alright if you can actually make it into assault, but 9 times out of 10 they're only good for mulching troops. If you're tarpitting a DK or something it won't even make a difference unless you have rerolls. Tyberos is also 190 points for a 5++ mandatory Warlord who does not allow you to roll for Strategic traits, and the Rage bonus is great but forces you to consolidate against your will in terrible directions like out into the open.

And the biggest nail in the coffin, and the one reason I will say they are terrible is because they cannot ally non-Imperium, and all allies are Desperate Allies. This is a deal breaker for any army that wants to truly be excellent, as formations and allies are necessary for that. Because of this, you will also NEVER get Divination in any way, shape, or form on a Carcharodon unit, even if you ally casters that can cast from that tree. No Prescience, Forewarning, Scrier's Gaze, or Perfect Timing (!). Basically the only good spells you get are Invisibility and Psychic Shriek and you have to cast them off max ML2 per psyker, of which you're only going to get max 2 per detachment. No extra Inquisitor psykers, no ML3, no allied psykers, nothing. You can take them, but they'll never be able to bless your units. I think Eldar, Daemons, and Tyranids are about the only armies where allies can be eschewed without much loss in opportunity cost.

They also mention techmarines and apothecaries are rarely seen on the battlefield for Carcharodons. The best part about the chapter comes from Tyberos's abilities once he activates all of them rather than the chapter tactics IMO. Much like Moloc and Minotaurs.

Well, technically they are from a different book, but they are Tactical squads and have the following:

1 - Dark Angel Tacs with Banner of Devastation and Stubborn -- Stubborn means they should be able to hang onto whatever objective they are holding. BoD means that a 10 man squad can put out 40 Bolter shots a turn at 24", which is quite solid if they can stay in one place.

2 - Blood Angel Tacs with Furious Charge, Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, and two Inferno Pistols (on Sgt) -- The versatility here is key.... while FC is not game breaking on Tacs, it does make them better in assault. Better yet, BA Tacs can take 3 melta shots and a heavy flamer template, plus 7 Rapid Firing Bolters, which makes them very versatile when deployed close up (i.e from a Drop Pod or using a Fast Rhino or dropping out of Zooming Storm Raven).

Archived