Darklighter's painting log

Darklighter

• 6 months later...

I'll take a look at the ETL and see about making that pledge.

As for the Photo the set up is just some black poster board/foam core set up on my desk. The lighting is a window and two daylight bulbs. The window is on the left one bulb from the top and one from the direction of the camera at the front. The lamps are quite close to the model as well, 6"-8" away.

Thank you brother. It's from the old Dark Angels upgrade sprue. I got given a load from a friend that was doing a lot of deathwing commisions a while back, I'm not sure if you can still get hold of them. I did some slight modifications to it to make it less DA and more BA with a some green stuff and pendant swaps from my bitz box.

Sorry guys I couldn't wait for ETL as these are part of another forum challenge and needed to be done this month.... I should be able to still add some points for ETL when it lands I still have loads of Terminators that need painting!

I'm not at all sure what I'll do next as I still have the two death company dreads to do. But I've also just got some Crisis suits and *fingers crossed* a Stormsurge on the way for my B'day soon.

Thanks guys I'll try get some mopre shots up of the Libby dread. When I get my desk cleared as I'm in a building frenzy at the moment!

As for they way I paint the red.....

It's quite easy but you will need an air brush.

I go from a black primer (AV) (through the air brush)

Then I start to layer in the transition with Mechrite Red (old GW) leaving a fade to pure black.

After that it's a layer of blood red leaving some Mechrite showing.... It'll look odd for now but make sure you have left some on show.

I'll then hit all the hard edges with a bright orange fire (AV). This will make the model look really stupid at this stage.

To tie it all up I then lightly blast Carroburg Crimson (GW) over it all. You have to be carful at this stage as it's easy to put to much on just enough to make it wet...

Then the most important step to make the red pop is to them give it a solid gloss varnish. This really brings out the reds (I'd recommend this no matter what technique you use for red) Then follow it up with a matte varnish to knock it back down.

It sounds much more intensive than it is. If I'd of had the hours spare I'd of finished all 4 dreadnoughts in a day. As it was it took a few hours over three days spread over the month. If it took me more then 12 hours I'd be very surprised.

AV paints are Vallejo and GW is Games workshop.... I really need to find a replacement colour for Mechrite red as my personal stash won't last forever!

I've attempted tutorials with pictures but I work far to quickly to get pictures of a quality useable for one... I hope the above helps!

• 10 months later...
Once I have finished these models I have some vanguard and sternguard to make then all of my armies are 100% painted!

I've been working quite quickly in the small amount of time I'm finding to paint and progress has been swift.

I've not got names for my rhino's but I do have names for the Baal Preds, Salvation and Sacrifice.

This old school rhino was gifted to me by my now wife when we first started dating.

Next I'm going to work on the death company dreadnoughts then I'll need to buy some supplies before I can start working on my 25+ Terminators

These where going to be Cassor and Moriar... But I didn't really pay enough attention to their war gear. Cassor has upgraded to twin flamers rather then the base options he should have and I feel Moriar needs to be more ornate.... So I guess I'll just have to get another two at some point!

I have 12 dreadnoughts painted now.. I'd like two more either normal or Furioso Dreads so I have a full 10 Dread squad all in red. I have two Libby Dreads to lead the squad and now two Death company ones because I could resist painting them black.. I might have a problem!

Looking great! Just for your information, BA dreads can not take 2x heavy flamers in the current codex which is a real shame!

Well that sucks! May be I'll have to do a bit of a switcheroo and make it Cassor after all.

Edit: I have indeed changed and painted the new weapon options on the Dreadnought to make this model be Cassor. I take a picture but it'd just be more of the same really as you can barely see the weapon options now on them, lol.

Edited by Darklighter

• 2 weeks later...
I've got yet another Squad done Karlaen and his shield brothers. I'm also getting used to photographing Red again... It seem silly saying that but it really does throw me for a loop going from my Tau to the Blood Angels.

It might be a little longer before I get the next squad(s) done I've got a bit of Tau to do next, but I hope to update soon.