Dan Abnett: Know No Fear Discussion (Spoilers)

Prot

The "Be sure you kill an Ultramarine..." thing is not at all meant to imply that other legions don't fight back or seek revenge. The point isn't that Ultramarines are more likely to try and defend themselves. The message it's trying to convey is that the Ultramarines learn. They're saying that if you try to kill an Ultramarine, you should get it right the first time because whatever approach you just tried won't work a second time. Roboute's initial losses to Corax in a simulation, followed by his perfect record after integrating Corax's techniques is a demonstration of that saying's meaning.

I've always thought the legion the XIIIth had the most in common with is the XVth, because both of them kill with knowledge.

The "Be sure you kill an Ultramarine..." thing is not at all meant to imply that other legions don't fight back or seek revenge. The point isn't that Ultramarines are more likely to try and defend themselves. The message it's trying to convey is that the Ultramarines learn. They're saying that if you try to kill an Ultramarine, you should get it right the first time because whatever approach you just tried won't work a second time. Roboute's initial losses to Corax in a simulation, followed by his perfect record after integrating Corax's techniques is a demonstration of that saying's meaning.

I've always thought the legion the XIIIth had the most in common with is the XVth, because both of them kill with knowledge.

In which book does this duel take place? Seems like I've missed that one...

In which book does this duel take place? Seems like I've missed that one...

I don't think the "duel" is ever described, only mentioned by Roboute when he's talking about the Codex. Or maybe by someone else "appraising" Roboute. I think it was in Rules of Engagement (short story in the anthology Age of Darkness), but I'm not 100% sure on that.

The simulated confrontations between Corax and Guilliman are mentioned in HH Extermination (p. 134). I think it had previously been mentioned in one of the HH novels, but I am not sure which. (Probably one that included Corax...)

It said that Corax was able to beat Guilliman in his simulations using unconventional unit types. Corax managed to defeat Guilliman three times, but after Guilliman had adapted to those unconventional units he was never able to beat him again.

I would like to point out that it's perfectly in keeping with a professional fighting force for them to have boasts and egotistical displays. It's a banter thing. Males grouped together build belief in themselves and their abilities based on this primordial basic tenant.

They are (trans) human after all.

Archived