Chaos Space Marine Spam

KhorneFlakes

I want to play a game (am going to next week) that has 60 CSM marines. I was interested to get some opinions/experiences/general banter about spamming marines and how this works! btw in my case I'm playing as four ten man marines with VoTLW IoV upgraded champ and heavy/special weapons and then one blob of 20 close combat weapons swap with the same upgrades. This is at this stage for a 2500 pt game but would 1225pts of csm marines work at 1500? Banter away! 

Cheers 

I think it will have the same limitations as any other large Marine infantry army, which I have found to be fairly weak competitively.

The bulk of its damage output will come from bolters and special weapons at medium to close range. Bolters are only mediocre at killing things, and embedded heavy weapons are insufficient as support. Likewise, without a character the cc marines will only be a light/medium strength assault unit. On the receiving end, the massed troops will be a bit more durable than, say, guard or firewarriors, without being spectacularly so.

I find that basic marines work best in Rhinos, which can protect them from incoming fire as they concentrate multiple squads on a single target. I prefer bolters to cc weapons/pistols as a primary weapon. Two special weapons are, I think, generally preferable to a special and a heavy.

It really depends on what the enemy has, how big the board is, and so on.

1,500pts, 6x4 table... Just killing each other for VPs, I'd be fairly confident going against you with my DE. Objectives that change? 4x4 board? I can't be so passive, and it would be hard to stay out of the way of so many marines on such a small board. I'm not saying it would be your game to lose, but it would be tougher.

Tau? They might find it hard to run away from you once you've made it across the board... So the key is moving as fast as you can while keeping your guys alive.

IG? You'll have problems, you're trying to beat them at their own game.

Orks? You want to slow them down, focus your fire, and reduce the number of areas where you are exposed to assault. This can be done, but it gets a lot harder once you start moving around for objectives. Nids can be similar, but it depends on the build.

In one of my first games with the 6th edition codex, I tried 80 (or maybe it was 120, I forget) ccw Chaos Marines running across the field, backed up by two units of autocannon havoks. ("13 point Marines," I thought.  "That's sooo cheap!"  This was when standard marines were 15-6 points. )

They were utterly and completely pwned by a "normal" Chaos army with two units of Obliterators and a Land Raider.

Combined arms beats spam.

It also depends on what kind of game. Marines alone may not have that high hitting power but just being tough and Ob.Sec. Troops makes them decent in Maelstrom.

It also depends on what kind of game. Marines alone may not have that high hitting power but just being tough and Ob.Sec. Troops makes them decent in Maelstrom.

I feel as though the whole "durability" thing applies less to Chaos Space Marines than it does Codex: Space Marines. They both have that wonderful T4, 3+ but the CSM lack ATSKNF. That special rule alone allows loyalist marines to stay on the board as well as get back to an objective that they were just forced to fall back from. CSM run like cockroaches when you turn the lights on. Once they regroup they will still not be able to score the objective they had to fall back from unless they rolled low for their fall back move.

I do not think that spamming CSM will work as well as spamming C:SM, but six units of 20 CSM will be very hard to move as long as they don't run off the board in the early turns.

Good points.

But also, OP mentioned IoV so they won't run (but yes, technically loyalists do it cheaper).

And, I have run my 50 Marines and 20 TDA 30K DG as 40K CSM (with IoV); they are hard to kill off completely.

14315330165_873d84c340_c.jpg

One thing you could consider is giving your 10-man squads Rhinos and use their Rhinos as a shield for the advancing 20-man blob + Lord. Give them Havoc Launchers to move up 6" and blast away at the enemy's infantry squads at range, or use Smoke periodically to help the Rhino-wall survive better. I think dual special weapons would work best, but if you are simply going to have the majority of your 10-man units camp while the 20 unit blob marches up, you might consider giving them a Plasma Gun and Autocannon.

Also I'd suggest for your big blob to have a Sorcerer in it for either Endurance or Invisibility to make them that much more survivable.

I have been toying with fielding my IF legion models as counts-as CSM myself. (No one in the local group is enthused about 30k and the legion list cannot be used in our league. Grumble.)

The core would be 20 man units. I was thinking of giving my 20 man tac blobs the Mark of Slanesh and the Icon of Excess. With fnp,they are a good match for legion tac squads with an apothecary.You could even pay to upgrade them to noise marines with sonic blasters, using the Salvo 2/3 to represent Fury of the Legion. Huron the counts as Praetor could give one (or more) of the blob squads infiltrate.

Lucius' rules are good for Sigismund: similar focus on deulling. MoT termies are very similar to catiphractii.

Archived