What Horus Heresy Novels Are There For The Iron Warriors?

Operative

Hello

I recently read Angel Exterminatus (great Christmas present) and I rely got into the iron warriors storyline. I hadn't read any of the other novels and short stories preceding it although I am aware there are some (Crimson fist comes to mind).

So what other novels/short stories/ audiobooks should I read to continue journeying with Oylmpia's sons themselves?

Tallarn Executioner is the only one worth the effort. Angel Exterminatus has some good parts (Pericles Pertuarbo), and then falls back into the classic Graham McNeill rapey stuff. The orgy carpet comes to mind. 

Im sad.

I just finished this today, and loved everything...until the end. that left me mighty pissed off.

WLK

Tallarn Executioner is the only one worth the effort. Angel Exterminatus has some good parts (Pericles Pertuarbo), and then falls back into the classic Graham McNeill rapey stuff. The orgy carpet comes to mind. 

...Orgy carpet? shucks?

I read Angel Exterminatus and I don't seem to remember an orgy carpet?

The Novel was great, although it sent the Emperor's Children from a legion I liked right to the bottom of the pile (only just better than Russ, The Lion, Angron and Guilliman)

Edit: Also speaking of Tallarn Executioner, what formats is it available in and does anyone know if it will come out in an Anthology novel?

Yeah, Angel Exterminatus was a very mixed bag for me (too many plotlines, and too much of McNeill just using it to big up his own 40K Iron Warriors stuff), but I did love the portrayal of the Iron Warriors themselves and Perturabo. He went from "Rargh! I'm brutal and angry and I'm gonna kill my own legion cos I'm brutal and angry!" to having some actual depth and tragedy to him.

Anywho, Iron Warriors haven't had too much coverage thus far unfortunately. It basically consists of (in chronological order):

The Crimson Fist

The Iron Within

Angel Exterminatus

Tallarn: Executioner (though even this is never shown from their POV. It is still a great read though)

There are also some minor appearances in Fallen Angels, The First Heretic, Fulgrim, Aurelian and Unremembered Empire (for Warsmith Dantioch), but aside from that last one they really are very minor.

Edit: Also speaking of Tallarn Executioner, what formats is it available in and does anyone know if it will come out in an Anthology novel?

Currently just as a limited ed. novella. It should come out generally at some point, possibly late this year. It may also come out within an anthology ala Brotherhood of the Storm, but no idea when that would be.

Have to put the spotlight on Iron Within.  It was the story that introduced me to Rob Sanders and it really blew me away.  Shows exactly how the Iron Warriors operate in both a garrison and siege setting with a badass protagonist.  Highly recommended.

I seem to be about the only person who isn't a huge fan of his tongue.png There's some I like (Iron Within and Hands of the Emperor), but several I don't (A Deeper Darkness, The Harrowing, Distant Echoes)

Not the only person who isn't a huge fan. Iron Within wasn't bad, but I was never a great lover of his other work.

Angel Exterminatus, in my humble opinion, was a sorrowful joke that broke my heart. I did not need to see Perturabo's sweetheart side. I have no interest in hearing yet another Primarch whine and complain about how terrible their breaks were, especially the one demi-God whose mind has always been described as cold, clinical, heartless, and distant, barring when he loses his temper.

I'm glad folks dug the book, and to each their own, but I was beyond horrified to see my Legion's Gene-Father suddenly start acting like... well.... Fulgrim. 

I'll stick with Forgeworld's version, thank you. I prefer my Primarch's mind to be unfathomable, mathematical, and merciless, with a nice touch of bitter madness.

Archived