Best way to get melee warband into combat?

Thinking about what kind of warband to take: I'd like to take a melee-focused team of 3 Crusaders, 7 Death Cult Assassins and 3 Acolytes w flamers (for the close range death and 3-9 Wall of Flame overwatch hits!). What is the best way to get this unit into combat?

- Chimera: high troop capacity, low AV values, not an assault vehicle

- Rhino (need to drop the acolytes): cheaper, better AV, not as assault vehicle

- Land Raider: assault vehicle, VERY expensive (I've never used Land Raiders as I'm leery of tying up so many points in one basket, and paying for a transport that's costlier than the unit it's ferrying)

- Valkyrie: moderately well-priced, offers grav-chute deployment, but how big are those grav-chute risks? Also, it needs a reliable ground-based, homing device of some sort (servo skull or two, drop pod locator beacons, mystic) which can sometimes be difficult to get upfield. (Maybe an Inq with a Mystic in a tank Scouting upfield turn one via Liber Heresius?)

- Adeptus Astartes Stormwing Dataslate; Battle brothers can now start the game aboard allied transports, so all aboard the Storm Raven! But it is even more expensive than the Land Raider.

- Something from IA:1 or IA:2? I don't yet have either book.

Happy to hear advice and tactics from the =][= generals out there.

I am in a similar situation with a very similar squad of 3 Crusaders, 5 DCA, 1 Priest and a Xeno Inq with Rads. I was considering the Land Raider but the amount of points for a transport that can easily be glanced to death or a lucky penetration roll even with AV14 means I am not getting one for my small Inq force.  I have opted for the good old fashioned Rhino due to average AV and no big guns to tempt me to shoot rather then drive forward. Plus its cheaper and can convert it into a Grav-Rhino a project im enjoying very much.

Dave

Best is obviously the Land Raider - but not if your criteria is cost :P It's the most reliable way to get them into fisticuffs, especially if you've only a single squad with this intention. If you've got a couple of combat squads (or better - more) then I'd go with Rhinos as they'd be able to co-ordinate their assault better with mutual protection for example when disembarking in preparation for a charge.

Even if it gets blown up, a Land Raider just about guarantees 2nd Turn Assault though. An Explodes (S4 AP-) is still very survivable .

A Rhino can't do that.

Per rules (Vehicles - Transports - Disembarkation Restrictions), if an Assault vehicles gets destroyed, Passengers can still Assault in their following Turn (assuming not Pinned of course). If not an Assault vehicle gets destroyed, Passengers cannot Assault in their following Turn.

Another thing to consider though is a Bunker with Emergency Hatch. I still prefer a LR, and a Bunker is more expensive than a Rhino but it may be the 'safest' option. Still wouldn't allow a Turn 2 Assault though.

Land Raider is super-expensive and makes the unit an "all your eggs in one basket" type of unit, which is a bit disappointing since it is a bit of a glass hammer with T3 (although it can deal out serious pain so it's not bad, just needs to be used carefully).

However, I think it is the only real option. And it is a good option. In my experience, I've only had my Inquisitorial land raider destroyed once, and that was due to a perfect deep strike/scatter on some obliterators and this was after the payload had been delivered anyway. It nearly guarantees successful delivery and getting the charge with is KEY when it comes to a HTH Inquisitorial warband.

The other delivery options are just not realistic because you have to disembark and sit around for a turn eating enemy fire and possibly being charged, all while allowing its intended target to run away if they want to. I haven't tried it, but I just don't see it working.

Whereas with the land raider option you are all but guaranteed a turn 2 or 3 charge depending on your enemy's deployment.

In previous editions (haven't played a lot of games lately) I put my melee unit into a standard twin lascannon Land Raider, and used it as a reaction unit.  I'd roll forward 6 inches a turn behind my front line, blasting away with lascannon fire at tempting targets, then when something presented itself or needed to die out comes a huge unit of DCA's, Crusaders, Inquisitor, etc.  Worked really well, as a counter-charge assault unit works better with a more fragile unit.  It's job is to help weaken or eliminate something that's about to cause you a problem, not to go mop up the entire enemy army in combat.

What about a stormraven instead of LR? Mobile, greater thread range, better weapons, about the same price when with the nearly mandatory comms relay.

Edit ah well, codex only, idk Landreaider probably

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting this thread because I'm wondering the same thing -- except, what about a drop pod?  Are there any viable builds to go with my drop pod army?  I know they can't assault turn 1 out of the pod, but i can put them in a good spot for a turn 2 assault.  Should I bother including ANY shooty acolytes/servitors, or keep them all melee?

Resurrecting this thread because I'm wondering the same thing -- except, what about a drop pod?  Are there any viable builds to go with my drop pod army?  I know they can't assault turn 1 out of the pod, but i can put them in a good spot for a turn 2 assault.  Should I bother including ANY shooty acolytes/servitors, or keep them all melee?

Drop pod suffers the same way Chimera and Rhinos do you can't assault after disembarking thus leaving your best CC unit open to shooting, the only upside is it will drop where you want(-ish) and you could run from disembarking to get some cover.

Archived