How do you distinguish your regular dudes?

ixzion

We'll see who's laughing when the Imperium finally crumbles and the Tau take over. :P

Our Benefactors even delivered us some new combat helmets with these fancy antennae on them. Now we really love our Tau overlords!

Depends on how far you think you'll get with no warp travel and before the 'nids eat you...

I've just thought that we have plenty of good talk about what we do with our infantry, but yet a lack of pictures! Let's rectify this and post up our trooper examples smile.png

Here's an infantry squad:

gallery_30308_3239_9947.jpg

No squad markings, just the regimental number on their left shoulder. Here's a Veteran picture, showing off not only the tea mug but also some of the extra bits and the different shoulder colour. Otherwise no squad markings like regular soldiers - only the regiment number:

gallery_30308_3239_94.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2539/3884543247_60ca3c3745_o.jpg

Here's an example of my Squad Markings. On the left shoulder is the Regimental badge, the Right shoulder is the Army Badge.  But just so that I can distinguish who's who's, I paint a roman number on the back of each base.  (the two dudes on the right) This was as your standing behind and above your army you can look down and see which model belongs to which squad. 

I usually have little trouble differentiating my Krieg units because I face the models in the same direction for one unit and a different direction for a nearby other to keep things organized, but I am seriously considering adding small vertical stripes and half stripes discreetly on the edge of the bases for unit identification (probably in a medium tone of gray that will be not too noticeable on the darker gray bases).

That said I know a guy who has named every single Guardsman he owns, written right across the front of their base, not that he ever keeps track on who is who, but the idea that you can read the name of the poor slob you just shot with a plasma cannon is pretty funny.

This is taken from the first post of my army thread, detailing markings, with some images...

Markings
While most household troops go to war in their pristine uniforms, some (usually those who have seen regular combat) often don more battle-worthy armour and fatigues. Nevertheless, a unit’s battlefield role is indicated by coloured markings upon their armour and uniform in a manner akin to that of Arcadian regiments (c.f. the Arcadian 5th):
Units fulfilling a command role such as company command squads display yellow markings.
Units in a support role have blue markings. Examples include heavy weapon squads and dedicated transports.
Assault units such as cavalry and many veteran units are marked with green.
Infantry squads and other such line/tactical units are indicated by red markings.
White indicates conscripts.
Black indicates penitents.
Infantry display these colours on hat bands, trouser stripes and epaulets (in the case of those wearing `soft` armour) or as a vertical stripe over the helmet and the front, back and lower side trim of shoulder pads (in the case of those wearing `hard` armour). Should an officer wear an aiguillette, the primary colour will be that of his unit type, with yellow or gold tips indicating his command position. Dual roles are indicated by combining two colours in these locations.

gallery_63428_8145_35699.jpg
This medic (white crescent trim) is assigned to a company command squad (yellow epaulets and hat band). Were he assigned to a platoon command squad he would have white trim on red epaulets.
gallery_63428_8145_3184.jpg
This veteran is a member of a company command squad, hence his yellow markings.
gallery_63428_8145_6654.jpg
This lieutenant commands a platoon command squad, hence his yellow hat band and the fact that his epaulets are yellow trimmed with red and his aiguillette is yellow tipped with red. Note that while platoons may include support and/or assault elements (heavy and special weapon squads) their colours are not indicated on the markings of the platoon command squad.
gallery_63428_8145_16645.jpg
This sergeant commands an infantry squad, hence his red hat band and the fact that his epaulets are red trimmed with yellow and his aiguillette is red tipped with yellow.
gallery_63428_8145_2965.jpg
This guardsman belongs to an infantry squad, hence his red markings.
gallery_63428_8145_32215.jpg
This sharpshooter belongs to a special weapons squad, hence his blue markings.
gallery_63428_8145_17251.jpg
His squad leader here too has a blue stripe and blue trim. As he is not a sergeant he lacks yellow markings (which would be a single yellow stripe along the top trim of the shoulder pads).
gallery_63428_8145_11278.jpg
This guardsman is a member of a veteran unit assigned to a close-assault role (tank-hunting, specifically) and so has green markings. Note that many veteran units dirty up their unit markings in the field to reduce their visibility.
gallery_63428_8145_26020.jpg
His sergeant: green trim and yellow command additions, weathered.
gallery_63428_8145_5022.jpg
This unit of homo sapiens variatus has a non-regulation standard in black, indicating their penitent status. Their custodian, a junior priest, has black trim upon his armour to indicate their role and his acceptance of leading the flock to their retribution.

Ground vehicles primarily display these colours upon heraldic shields (mounted on the right side of any turret present), and occasionally other locations.
gallery_63428_8145_12606.jpg
This Medusa fulfills a support role and so its shield has a blue background.
gallery_63428_8145_6459.jpg
This is the shield of a Chimera transport assigned to a command squad, thus it displays both blue and yellow, with added red to reflect the squad’s role in commanding line units. The golden wreath indicates the high rank of the officer aboard.

Additional markings
One common marking seen upon infantry is a skull on the shoulder pad.
gallery_63428_8145_8008.jpg
gallery_63428_8145_7543.jpg
gallery_63428_8145_41316.jpg
This indicates a heroic action by the individual. It is coloured as per the individual’s role and/or unit type. The above image shows a master of ordnance’s shoulder armour, then that of a special weapon squad leader and a penitent squad custodian’s.

Here are mine but as I said I just use the Cadian Gate symbol and the squad number on the pauldrons.

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2014/269/d/c/squad_812___1st_platoon_by_elmo9141-d80lcgg.jpg

This is taken from the first post of my army thread, detailing markings, with some images...

Markings

While most household troops go to war in their pristine uniforms, some (usually those who have seen regular combat) often don more battle-worthy armour and fatigues. Nevertheless, a unit’s battlefield role is indicated by coloured markings upon their armour and uniform in a manner akin to that of Arcadian regiments (c.f. the Arcadian 5th):

Units fulfilling a command role such as company command squads display yellow markings.

Units in a support role have blue markings. Examples include heavy weapon squads and dedicated transports.

Assault units such as cavalry and many veteran units are marked with green.

Infantry squads and other such line/tactical units are indicated by red markings.

White indicates conscripts.

Black indicates penitents.

Infantry display these colours on hat bands, trouser stripes and epaulets (in the case of those wearing `soft` armour) or as a vertical stripe over the helmet and the front, back and lower side trim of shoulder pads (in the case of those wearing `hard` armour). Should an officer wear an aiguillette, the primary colour will be that of his unit type, with yellow or gold tips indicating his command position. Dual roles are indicated by combining two colours in these locations.gallery_63428_8145_35699.jpg

This medic (white crescent trim) is assigned to a company command squad (yellow epaulets and hat band). Were he assigned to a platoon command squad he would have white trim on red epaulets.gallery_63428_8145_3184.jpg

This veteran is a member of a company command squad, hence his yellow markings.gallery_63428_8145_6654.jpg

This lieutenant commands a platoon command squad, hence his yellow hat band and the fact that his epaulets are yellow trimmed with red and his aiguillette is yellow tipped with red. Note that while platoons may include support and/or assault elements (heavy and special weapon squads) their colours are not indicated on the markings of the platoon command squad.gallery_63428_8145_16645.jpg

This sergeant commands an infantry squad, hence his red hat band and the fact that his epaulets are red trimmed with yellow and his aiguillette is red tipped with yellow.gallery_63428_8145_2965.jpg

This guardsman belongs to an infantry squad, hence his red markings.gallery_63428_8145_32215.jpg

This sharpshooter belongs to a special weapons squad, hence his blue markings.gallery_63428_8145_17251.jpg

His squad leader here too has a blue stripe and blue trim. As he is not a sergeant he lacks yellow markings (which would be a single yellow stripe along the top trim of the shoulder pads).gallery_63428_8145_11278.jpg

This guardsman is a member of a veteran unit assigned to a close-assault role (tank-hunting, specifically) and so has green markings. Note that many veteran units dirty up their unit markings in the field to reduce their visibility.gallery_63428_8145_26020.jpg

His sergeant: green trim and yellow command additions, weathered.gallery_63428_8145_5022.jpg

This unit of homo sapiens variatus has a non-regulation standard in black, indicating their penitent status. Their custodian, a junior priest, has black trim upon his armour to indicate their role and his acceptance of leading the flock to their retribution.

Ground vehicles primarily display these colours upon heraldic shields (mounted on the right side of any turret present), and occasionally other locations.gallery_63428_8145_12606.jpg

This Medusa fulfills a support role and so its shield has a blue background.gallery_63428_8145_6459.jpg

This is the shield of a Chimera transport assigned to a command squad, thus it displays both blue and yellow, with added red to reflect the squad’s role in commanding line units. The golden wreath indicates the high rank of the officer aboard.Additional markings

One common marking seen upon infantry is a skull on the shoulder pad.gallery_63428_8145_8008.jpggallery_63428_8145_7543.jpggallery_63428_8145_41316.jpg

This indicates a heroic action by the individual. It is coloured as per the individual’s role and/or unit type. The above image shows a master of ordnance’s shoulder armour, then that of a special weapon squad leader and a penitent squad custodian’s.

Your dudes look really awesome Kierdale! And congrats on the win in Nakano :)

When I paint my Death Korps I will probably add some kind of stripe on their uniform to signify what squad a trooper belongs to. I did a similar thing with my Flesh Tearers (squad number on right knee) and I really like to organize my armies. This is however my first venture into Guard territory so things will be a bit different.

• 3 weeks later...
My Cadians have a painted color base (white=ccs, yellow=1st platoon, orange=2nd platoon, red=3rd platoon, and purple=4th platoon) and then each squad has a number painted on the base denoting which squad (1/1 = 1st squad, 1st platoon, and so on). The colored bases really help in setting up the troops, but not much else. Each trooper, regardless of rank has a 182 on their left shoulder plate. Tells the world which regiment they come from.

Archived