Unforgiving Building Damage Table

Kilofix

Is it just me or is the Building Damage Table (I.e. Pens) really unforgiving?

I mean D6 S6 hits on a 3 and 2D6 S6 hits on a 4? If you just have one model left in the Building he's done for. I feel like they should have done a X number of hits equal to X number of models.

As such I never put Units in Buildings anymore if I can help it. Not that I don't use Buildings but I just camp out on the Battlements, etc.

Considering the damage is all AP-, and how little you have to pay for an AV14 building, it seems about right to me. 1 model might be done for, but shifting a full squad typically requires a concerted effort.

It's like running Vindicators. You need a few similar threats to spread the incoming high strength fire, or at least give your opponent some difficult decisions.

I think it could be quite frustrating if they were any tougher or more protective.

Yeah, I guess putting more models in a building and having bodies to absorb the hits is key. And yeah, I guess buildings are cheap for AV14.

Still seems odd though that an OM Inquisitor in TDA (T3 W3) will easily walk away from an exploding Rhino or exploding Land Raider but even a moderate building pen (a roll of 4 on the building damage table) will almost certainly kill him (with 2D6 hits at S6 meaning Instant Death for him) if he's alone in the building.

Yeah, there are some weird outliers, but I'd say that's more an artifact of 40k's simplistic all-or-nothing rules (AP, Instant Death, etc.) than the building rules per se. Like the old S6 Perils of the Warp. "What's the big deal? Oh right - not everyone is a Space Marine."

You definitely need to treat it as a fighting platform for a squad, not a hidey hole for a character. It's certainly not like Warhammer (or like Warhammer was last time I played it anyway, it's been a while), where a building can make some Wizards almost invincible for no loss of effectiveness.

In the specific case of your Inquisitor, he could always take 12 ablative wounds in a Bastion with him for a mere 48 points. It'll probably fall down before they're all dead, and they can man the bolters while they wait for the roof to land on their heads.

The fact that a single meltagun has an extreamly good chance of melting an entire fortress of redemption makes the whole building shot a pile of gak. They're worse off than vehicles, An unmodified 6 will destroy them outright! 

Honestly, they should all have mighty bulwark by default, or something like armoured ceramite.

Archived